Kleemann LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Kleemann LSD

I'm sure you all know by now that I installed a Kleemann LSD a few weeks back. Time for the review of it's performance.

Cost: It is on the high side considering that it is no-longer (so I'm told, mine wasn't) has the diff gears supplied, your own must be machined down to new specs.

Fitment: Can be done by yourself if you have the time to remove your gears and wait to get them machined. For me it was just R/R the diff and send it to a diff shop to get it done, it's not worth the few dollars saved.

Break-in: Kleemann didn't specify any break-in instructions. I found the diff to initally be quite noisy. After rechecking with them I was told that it will be noisy while it "beds-in". Fair enough. I drove slowly in a tight circle for a few mins clockwise then anti-clockwise, much quieter. After 2 weeks I haven't heard it since. They don't specify any changed oil drain interval, but it must have a high quality Synthetic oil. I'm changing the oil in a few weeks then again every year, it's cheaper than a new diff.

Performance: I am pleased with the added traction. It's main benifits are during high speed cornering on the track and in wet weather on the street. I was getting tired of the ESP light going off at every set of traffic lights. Definately a worthwhile upgrade, even if you don't go to the track.

Value: I have the benifit of having fitted a Quaife LSD at the same time to a W210 E55 so I can compair the two. I think the Quaife unit is better value as it is very well built, it's a complete diff center, is warranted even for drag racing and is considerably cheaper than the Kleemann unit. I have seen the phantom grip units (same design as Kleemann), I still feel much more confident with Kleemann, they stand behind their product, they can't afford to get it wrong. I had to get the Kleemann unit as Quaife don't make a unit for the W202. If I had a choice I would take the Quaife 1st and Kleemann 2nd
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
ultimately what prevents us from fitting the entire assembly from the w210?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by silence
ultimately what prevents us from fitting the entire assembly from the w210?
I spoke with cory from kleemann about this once. My tech had a rear from a CLK55 and I looked into having it done. I was told the the amount of work needed upstream of the rear is prohibitive. The ECU and TCU will crap out I guess as tory told me. Makes sense I guess. I've honestly been checking around for a 2nd C43 diff. I was considering sending phantom grip an extra diff over the winter. If it blows up I will still have the original. $499 is pretty sweet even if it is a kleemann clone.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
yeah, for sure.

as things stand now i'd pay about 1k if i could find a way this year for that much. down the road it may seem more necessary, who knows.

also, happy to hear that this is working well for ausmbtech
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
I spoke with cory from kleemann about this once. My tech had a rear from a CLK55 and I looked into having it done. I was told the the amount of work needed upstream of the rear is prohibitive. The ECU and TCU will crap out I guess as tory told me. Makes sense I guess. I've honestly been checking around for a 2nd C43 diff. I was considering sending phantom grip an extra diff over the winter. If it blows up I will still have the original. $499 is pretty sweet even if it is a kleemann clone.
Id would be easier to get a diff from a W208 CLK430, they are the same ratio and housing as a C43.

The problem with using an CLK55/E55 diff center is that it has a 2.82 ratio as opposed to the C43 3.06 ratio, the housing is larger/different mounts and the yoke for the flex coupling has 4 arms instead of 3 (could probably just swap them, not sure if there is another difference). The different diff ratio would also require TCU reprogramming.

If you can find a 2nd diff then I might try the phantom grip kit, here is Australia any 2nd hand parts for benz's are either too expensive or useless/damaged. I was quoted $6000AUD/$4500US for just a E55 long block with 150,000kms