Curious...what did you offer?

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
roflz...
Old 01-22-2009 | 04:15 AM

744 C36 AMG,040 C43 AMG, CLK55 208, CLS55 IWC, CLK500 Rocketbunny widebody
It would be cool to have for the rarity factor. It does however have high mileage. I don't know much about Brabus engines, but I am assuming it started as a 5.5 AMG engine and then was modified to what it is now. So hopefully it wouldn't need special parts and Brabus educated mechanics to work on it, if so that would get very expensive down the road.
Old 01-22-2009 | 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
Originally Posted by PJmak
roflz...
figured id try, she would look nice nexto the T-12!

the repy i got back was not as if i offended him, i think he was getting a lot of offers for 7-8K. but with those miles on that interesting of an engine, i bet he wont get more than 7.5
Old 01-22-2009 | 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
yeah, I think that was a reasonable offer.

It is on ebay and has gone past that now.

I have a ton of distrust for it- why would anyone who could have afforded to bring that into existence be willing to sell in this market? Why is it so dirty? I suspect there is something very $$$$ wrong with it.

Plus I would have to drive it before I'd believe the "475" hp claim as well.

All my questions could be answered, but won't be as I'm not going to go to the car and drive it.

I wouldn't pay more than 7500 site unseen- that's for sure (and that would be if I had just totalled my own car)
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:54 AM
SDR

'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
I don't trust anyone who can't put his registration tags on properly. Or maybe that was a Brabus detail
Intrigued none the less... may have to call a buddy to check it out.
Old 01-26-2009 | 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by silence
Plus I would have to drive it before I'd believe the "475" hp claim as well.
The advertisement listed the power output at 457 bhp. This is not accurate either. The Brabus 5.8L M113 was billed at 400 bhp. Still a powerful and very rare motor. Also to note, 137K reflects the mileage on the chassis. The motor is listed to have 90K on it. Brabus motors in general are very well built, but receipts for the work completed and a thorough checkup would be in order.
Old 07-12-2009 | 01:23 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
1998 BRABUS C 5.8

Hey guys,

I thought I would share with you what I have learned regarding this vehicle over the past few months.

A decoding of the Vehicle Identification showed the vehicle is well appointed with Headlamp Washer/Wipers, Xenon Headlamps & Rain-Sensing Intermittent W/S Wipers, Integrated Portable Cellular Telephone & Trunk Mounted 6-Disc Compact Disc Changer.

original tranny ?
PJmak, in mid-2000, with nearly 45,000 miles on the vehicle, the transmission was replaced. Additionally, at that time, the vehicle received the following upgrades from BRABUS North America Inc. (now known as BRABUS USA L.P.):

BRABUS 5.8L Engine
BRABUS high-performance brake system Version I: Including 2 six-piston-aluminium-fixed calipers front, 2 vented perforated front discs, steelflex brake hoses, brake pads, etc.
BRABUS Monoblock IV: Three Piece 18” wheels
BRABUS floor mats velour: Black, with BRABUS Logo

Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Wow. If that's legit . .
it is legit, read the description
Suicidal4life, the work was completed by none other than Peter Moeller, Chief Technician for BRABUS USA. BRABUS refers to this vehicle as a BRABUS C 5.8. The upgrades that were made to the vehicle encapsulate all upgrades that could be completed on a 1998 Mercedes-Benz C 43 AMG by BRABUS.

Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Wow that is actually really cool. Too bad I don't have $XXk sittin around cause that's a really rare car.
DarkXerox, it’s rare indeed. The BRABUS C 5.8 was not a BRABUS production vehicle. This vehicle was produced as a special order vehicle. The conversion can still be completed by BRABUS today for a cost upwards of $40,000. BRABUS has stated that this is the only one of its kind in the United States.

Originally Posted by jnolte
It would be cool to have for the rarity factor. It does however have high mileage. I don't know much about Brabus engines, but I am assuming it started as a 5.5 AMG engine and then was modified to what it is now. So hopefully it wouldn't need special parts and Brabus educated mechanics to work on it, if so that would get very expensive down the road.
Jnolte, I’m confirming the following with BRABUS, but my understanding is the heart of the BRABUS C 5.8 is a 5.8 liter version of the eight-cylinder three-valve powerplant of the S 500, which has found a new home in the tight confines of the small engine bay of the W202 C-Class. The engine itself is built by BRABUS in Germany for export to the United States. To increase its displacement BRABUS uses a custom block, a crankshaft with longer stroke and larger pistons. In addition, the cylinders are fine-machined and fitted with custom camshafts. Reprogrammed engine electronics also contribute to the impressive power output, and finally the top speed governor is deleted. BRABUS states the top speed to be 180 mph +/-.

Originally Posted by Eurosport
looks a little neglected i'd love to see pix of that engine w/out the plastic cover on it
The vehicle does appear to be a little neglected . . . physically , which causes one to question the mechanical aspects of the vehicle. That being said, my consideration of the vehicle took place over a period of two months and was extensive to say the least. Here are the highlights:

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report reported:
The vehicle has been owned in California since new
The vehicle has no accident history
The vehicle is a certified 1-owner vehicle
The vehicle has been driven an average of 12,410 per year
The vehicle has a clean title

Service records were reviewed in detail. The BRABUS C 5.8 was Mercedes-Benz dealer maintained from the day one, with BRABUS attending to the BRABUS upgrades (i.e. brakes, wheels, etc.) post conversion. I found that the issues that one would expect from a 1998 Mercedes-Benz C 43 AMG have all been addressed (i.e. MAS, Trans, Rear Axle, etc.)

Recently, the previous owner decided to service the vehicle at a local Mercedes-Benz dealership to address the Air Conditioning, once repaired, a Mercedes-Benz Technician/Service Manager who has personal transplanted a 5.5L into his own W202, was able to test drive the vehicle. In speaking to him directly, he was able to verify the transmission engaged well and shifted smoothly, etc.

Following the service, a full inspection was completed and the independent ASE Certified Inspector stated “The high horsepower BRABUS motor started well. Transmission engaged well. This car is a rocket ship. Fast and quick acceleration with no slip in trans, no differential noise. The suspension worked well and the brakes stopped on a dime.”

Not satisfied with merely one inspection and two test drives, and perhaps feeling a little nostalgic, the vehicle was reunited with Peter Moeller, Chief Technician for BRABUS USA. Peter extensively inspected the vehicle (i.e. Through Review & Test Drive; A/B Service Check Sheet; Star Diagnostics, etc.).

Originally Posted by Back2Benz
Wonder how much $$ it would cost to repair or maintain that thing??!!!
Back2Benz, the vehicle is maintained to slightly different specifications than a standard Mercedes-Benz AMG. For example, the vehicle does require BRABUS brake pads, Brembo High Performance Brake Fluid, etc. Following the inspection, all of these items were replaced and I can say that the cost is reasonable, relatively speaking of course , considering the lifetime expectancy of these particular parts. The remainder of the vehicle’s maintenance can be completed by Mercedes-Benz to Mercedes-Benz specifications.

Originally Posted by Thericker
Kool find indeed! very rare, but 137k on the odometer is a bit high, anyone seriously interested better have independant mechanic do a leak down test(compression check on all cylinders) besides that appears to be an excellent bargain...
Thericker, the transmission and engine of this vehicle both have approximately 95,000 miles on them. Nevertheless, a Compression Test was completed by Peter at BRABUS and he was pleased with the results. For good measure, the (16) BRABUS specified NGK Double Platinum Spark Plugs were all replaced following the Compression Test.

Originally Posted by HLG600
The advertisement listed the power output at 457 bhp. This is not accurate either. The Brabus 5.8L M113 was billed at 400 bhp. Still a powerful and very rare motor. Also to note, 137K reflects the mileage on the chassis. The motor is listed to have 90K on it. Brabus motors in general are very well built, but receipts for the work completed and a thorough checkup would be in order.
HLG600, you are correct, BRABUS claims the 5.8L V8 engine can generate 597 Nm torque, 400 Hp. / 294 Kw. Horsepower on 5800 rpm. Not willing to take BRABUS’s word for it, the BRABUS C 5.8 was transported to MBWorld.org Sponsor evosport where Simon completed a few pulls on their Dynojet 248 dyno. Following a brief review of the results with Simon, the results were forwarded to BRABUS for their review. Suffice to say that I believe BRABUS’s claims to be accurate.

Originally Posted by SDR
I don't trust anyone who can't put his registration tags on properly. Or maybe that was a Brabus detail Intrigued none the less... may have to call a buddy to check it out.
SDR, I’m afraid I’m not sure about the registration tags that you mentioned, but I did notice that the BRABUS badges were inverted in error when installed by the previous owner. That being said, BRABUS completed the installation of the following:

Chrome plated BRABUS logo for boot lid
Replace MB-star with BRABUS logo on bonnet
Replace MB-star with BRABUS emblem for boot lid
Set of BRABUS logos (new design) for side of the car

Originally Posted by silence
. . . why would anyone who could have afforded to bring that into existence be willing to sell in this market? Why is it so dirty? . . .
Silence, after working closely with the seller for over two months I can honestly say that I believe the seller was more concerned with the vehicle finding a good home, than he was in turning a profit. One could say that a man with the means to invest over $40,000 in high performance upgrades on a relatively new high performance vehicle is not concerned with optimizing the return on his investment after 11 years of enjoyment.

The condition could be considered by some to be a badge this very same enjoyment, but in the end I believe it to be the result of the owner and their conception of vehicle’s intended use relative to their selection of available vehicles on hand. Simply put, while you or I may select the BRABUS C 5.8 for a spirited high speed run on Mulholland Highway and countless hours of weekend detailing, having to make the same choice amongst a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche, may prove difficult to say the least. In the end, if the BRABUS C 5.8 is your choice to pick up the groceries or drop the kids off at school, at least you won’t have to worry about the ice cream melting or Junior missing first period. Rest assured it will get you where you need to go quick!

More to come . . .

TJMJR
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:25 AM

85 280GE; 2001 E55; 2003 CLK
anybody know who actually bought it?

and anyone have pictures of it?i kinda came late to this thread, and the link doesnt work anymore

_n.
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:39 AM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Pics

Nikrox,

Welcome to MBworld! BRABUS completed the recommended service yesterday and the vehicle will be in transport over the next 1-2 weeks. Admittedly, the car requires an extensive detailing, but pictures will be forthcoming immediately following.

TJMJR
Old 07-17-2009 | 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting.
Old 07-17-2009 | 01:09 PM

98 c43-sold, 05 Audi A4 avant
Originally Posted by TJMJR
Nikrox,

Welcome to MBworld! BRABUS completed the recommended service yesterday and the vehicle will be in transport over the next 1-2 weeks. Admittedly, the car requires an extensive detailing, but pictures will be forthcoming immediately following.

TJMJR
So we assume you purchased the vehicle? Sounds like a nice buy.
Old 07-17-2009 | 02:59 PM
Banned

SL600
So who purchased the vehicle?
Old 07-17-2009 | 03:59 PM

G
That car was available when I was looking for cars prior to purchasing mine. it appeared to be a little neglected, but not in bad shape aside from the cosmetics.
Old 07-17-2009 | 04:33 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
You had me at "BRABUS"

It remains to be determined if I own the car, or if the car owns me. Following 2 months, 2 inspections, 2 independent test drives, 2 dynos, and some recommend maintenance at BRABUS, etc. I’m pleased to say that the vehicle is due to arrive prior to the end of the month.
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:06 PM

how much you pay for it-before and after all the work youve had done

_n.
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:26 PM

07 350z
MEMBER: TJMJR has a 5.8L w202.
Old 07-18-2009 | 08:23 AM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Cost

Originally Posted by nikrox
how much you pay for it-before and after all the work youve had done

_n.
Nikrox,

At the seller’s request, I’ve agreed not to disclose the purchase price. As for my post-purchase investment, well, that remains to be determined. While the vehicle does not need anything at this point, mods are already in the works.

TJMJR
Old 07-18-2009 | 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Very cool get that thing spotless. Thats a nice and very unique car.
Old 07-18-2009 | 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by TJMJR
Nikrox,

At the seller’s request, I’ve agreed not to disclose the purchase price. As for my post-purchase investment, well, that remains to be determined. While the vehicle does not need anything at this point, mods are already in the works.

TJMJR
what sorta mods you thinkin of?
what else could you do to a brabus 5.8?

_n.
Old 07-18-2009 | 07:55 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Mods

Originally Posted by nikrox
what sorta mods you thinkin of?
what else could you do to a brabus 5.8?

_n.
nikrox,

At this point, the vehicle itself needs nothing but a detail. However, I’ve grown somewhat accustomed to the suspension upgrades of my C230, so I am considering Bilstein Sport Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and Front & Rear K-Mac Kits. Having never driven a C43 before, I remain unsure if this is at all necessary, so I have yet to make the final decision. For appearance, I will likely have 35% Formula One Pinnacle Series installed all around to match my daily driver.

How long have you had you 1998 C43? Have you upgraded your suspension? Is it at all necessary?

TJMR
Old 07-18-2009 | 08:44 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
My hat is off to you!

Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Very cool get that thing spotless. Thats a nice and very unique car.
NitrogenBalance,

Thanks for the comments! It’s nice to know that others share an appreciation for this vehicle. To me the W202 body style is timeless, which is why I still enjoy my C230 after all these years. The only issue that I have with my C230 is that I believe the car could use a bit more HP.

Looking for improved HP in a W202 lead to my admiration of vehicles like yours. The time, thought, and money invested into all the vehicles on this forum is truly awe inspiring! It’s vehicles like your own that continue to push the envelope of what is possible and keeps Mercedes-Benz, AMG, Kleemann, Renntech and BRABUS all working towards a common goal of improved performance.

But I’m not a mechanic and I’m somewhat of an automobile purist, so the BRABUS C 5.8 was an ideal match for me personally. It offers the additional HP, but requires no additional engine modifications. When it comes to a Mercedes-Benz, BRABUS is one of the largest and most respected tuning companies in the world, so the vehicle can be enjoyed while maintain the same confidence that one would have if they were behind the wheel of a stock Mercedes-Benz.

That being said, it is W202 owners like you that are true heroes in my eyes. Rest assured that the sacrifices that you all make is for the common good of everyone on this forum and it is greatly appreciated. Now in the name of "MB science" will you send me that Supercharger already???

TJMJR
Old 07-18-2009 | 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Nice purchase!!!
Old 07-19-2009 | 01:51 AM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Thanks!

Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Nice purchase!!!
AMGTestDriverNJ,

That truly means a lot coming from a man with your stable! But let’s get back to what's important . . . . who has the cutest bully? Can you deny my girl Lola?

TJMJR
Attached Thumbnails C43 with Brabus 5.8 set-up-img_0040.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 with Brabus 5.8 set-up