Pedal Value Sensor / Throttle Postion Sensor / Code 1542

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43
Pedal Value Sensor / Throttle Postion Sensor / Code 1542

Hello to all,

My 98 C43 has an issue with the throttle. After start up, you have full acceleration. So, let's say I get on the highway and floor it. After that point, the car has minimal acceleration, unless you put the pedal all the way to the floor, and then it is a much slower acceleration rate.

After the car is shut off, and you start up again, you have full acceleartion. Then it reverts to its "safety mode".

So I have had the car scanned, and we got the code "1542" - which is a Pedal Value Sensor (I have also seen the term Throttle Position Sensor).

I called the steelership, and they stated that was all part of the "Electronic Gas Actuator Slide Valve" at a cost of $1,550 for the part alone!

Has anyone else had this problem? What is the remedy?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
There are two different parts. The pedal value sensor is not on the actuator. It is mounted under the hood on the driver's side next to the brake booster, I think. The throttle cable goes to that. The throttle actuator also has potentiometers in it. Make sure which one the code is for. There is also a actual value for both that can be checked to see what is failing.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43
I took it into the shop, and they thought it was the MAF - so it was replaced. (I know these can be a problem, and with 77k miles - it can't hurt to replace it).

The shop did point out there are 2 motor mounts that need to be replaced. (I knew there was something wrong, especially with a fast acceleration, it seemed to shift gears rather hard, but it was more in the engine area as opposed to the tranny)

So, I wonder if bad motor mounts would cause me the other trouble I am having with the acceleration issue? Any ideas?