C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Transmission Oil Changes - Easy Way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43, 1999
Transmission Oil Changes - Easy Way

I have found the easy way to keep fresh Transmission oil in my car is to not worry about changing it all out. Instead, I change out the 3 to 4 quarts that will come out of the pan and do it every 5000 miles.

When you start on this procedure you can change out the 3 to 4 quarts run it for 100 miles or so and then change it out again and do the same two more times. It is a little bit of trouble at first but it pretty much gets you fresh fluid and it is an easy task to under take. Than every 5000 miles change the 3 to 4 qts. that come out of the pan to keep refreshing the oil and rotating fresh oil in.

Works real well for me and a few others on the board.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 PM

C43
It will work, but you are never getting all the contaminates out this way. Here's an example: take a half glass of Coke and a half glass of water. Pour the water in the Coke and back and forth a few times. Then dump half the mixture out and mix in clean water. Mix it back and forth a few times and repeat entire process. See how long it takes to get only clean water left. Not to mention the entire time that friction plates are leaving even more contaminates as well dirt and moisture getting in there. I am a firm believer in getting a FRESH start every 30k (mind you I am not a MB owner yet, but used this method on all my auto trans cars...even my 260k Ford F350 that is notorious for bad trans).

Pump the valve body and converter clean as well as the filter (if equipped) and sleep well at night.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Catbutt,

I too prefer to change out all the fluid but for those who don't have the money to so, the time or tools, removing the tranny oil in the pan the giving the transmission a shot of fresh fluid is better than leaving it in there without changing it at all. Which for most of these cars is what the factory service manual called for "Lifetime Transmission Fluid" no need to change it.

Plus when I have performed this procedure I have seen a good deal of contaminates come out with the fluid, if there are any. And what I have seen is by doing this method I start to see much less contamination after the first or second drain of the transmission oil pan.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff