ESP BAS ASR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
ESP BAS ASR

The other day I started getting intermittant caution lights (see title) while driving around town. They reset shortly after restarting the car, but came back on later. I finally pinned it down to abrupt steering inputs tripping off the lights, so I'm guessing that the steering input sensor (assuming it has one here) may be failing. It was a real cold day, not sure if that has anything to do with it, as it hasn't happened before or since then. Any thoughts? Anyone have a schematic of how the ESP system operates?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 284 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
I disconnected my battery twice in the last few months to reset my tranny and both times those lights came on after connecting the battery

they disappeared in a few hours
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 C43 993C2S
I had it on my E55, it's like a $15 part for the fix.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43, 1999
I had these lights show up on the my dash this summer and they won't go away. I read up the boards and found the brake light switch is a common cause, so I changed mine and it made no difference. I tried to reset the steering andle by turning the wheel lock to lock and that did not reset the lights.

So I have no ABS and no Traction Control which sort of pisses me off, because I like both those items not only for myself but also when my wife drives the car.

I still have no clear direction on how to fix these issues. There are no check engine lights on.

Anyone have an idea, that is not the brake light switch.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:36 AM

1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
Originally Posted by speedybenz
I had these lights show up on the my dash this summer and they won't go away. I read up the boards and found the brake light switch is a common cause, so I changed mine and it made no difference. I tried to reset the steering andle by turning the wheel lock to lock and that did not reset the lights.

So I have no ABS and no Traction Control which sort of pisses me off, because I like both those items not only for myself but also when my wife drives the car.

I still have no clear direction on how to fix these issues. There are no check engine lights on.

Anyone have an idea, that is not the brake light switch.

Take the car and have it scanned for errors and it will tell u all by its self what part or sensor that needs to be changed. and the check engine light will only come on if the there is a serious misfire, air mass gone seriously wrong, o2 sensors dead or cat clogged. other than that its the other MILs that tell u abt other issues.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Jeff, are the brake lights coming on? I've read where people have installed a "brand new" broken brake switch before. They figured out it was broken because the lights never came on.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Marcus,

The brake light do come on as of today. When I did get the code checked it came up as a valve or soleniod(sp) I believe in the ABS unit.

What is funny is that this all started when my idle was going up real high when I put the car into Park. When the trans went into Park the idle would jump up and so when they connected the STAR Scanner to my car and were setting the adaption codes to the throttle the light for the ESP-BAS and ABS all came on and would not go off. The tech tried several different things and the lights remain. Now I seem to be stuck with them on and they don't seem to be to willing to help fix the issue.

I hope maybe that will give someone some insight into this problem.

Thanks, jeff

Trending Topics

Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 AM

1999 c43
esp bas malfunction lights

most common failure c1200 stop lamp switch, install new switch and adjust, if not adjusted it may come back with same code, basically reach down and pull brake pedal toward drivers seat till you hear one or two more clicks.

other common problem the expensive one bas release switch, switch is in brake booster and can not be replaced you have to replace the brake booster

after disconnecting battery steering angle sensor not initialized code will be stored till steering wheel is turned from lock to lock

less common problems are in the abs pump itself or the esp control unit
Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 AM

AMG C43, 1999
Ben,

I was hoping to get the code read this Friday but I couldn't get away from work soon enough.

I will try early next week.

Jeff