C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

How many miles are on your C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
But you really need to love a car like this so that you don't get frustrated every time an issue pops up.
I agree.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
I think its also appropriate to note that just because you do regular maintenance, that does NOT in any way guarantee a troublefree car.

A lot of people are making it seem like if you just service it frequently there will be no problems..that isnt true. A Mercedes can have been maintained religiously, yet still have the transmission go out, etc.

Doing routine maintenance extends some components lifespan but you will have problems and failures with any 10+ year old car. Thats reality. And on an AMG Mercedes, the failures can be 3-10x more costly than a "transportation appliance" econobox.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
[quote=tusabes;3918510] A Mercedes can have been maintained religiously, yet still have the transmission go out, etc. quote]

That happined to a friend of mine on his C43 as I pointed out before.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I have owned Mercedes since 1980. And to what comment may I ask are you referring to? Nothing second hand from my experince.
Referring to what buddy? I'm not referring to anything, just making an assumption based on your level of expertise. Point being that you have no first hand experince owning an AMG and the escoteric problems that come along with them not to mention the AMG specific parts prices. A C55 is an incredibly rare car than either the C43 or C36 so when anything pops up your talking major $$. Yet your recommending it to him while he is worried about a 2K repair bill for the C43 tranny possibility? Very stupid recomendation in my opinion and I think everyone here would back me up on that wholeheartedly. I'm happy for you that you have owned Mercedes since 1980. Many of the folks here have the same story to share, if not ones that double and triple that. I have owned a mercedes since I was 16, four Mercs later bought my first AMG at 19. I'm quite avid at being my own mechanic as it is the only way I could afford one and have dealt with almost every possible nighmare a Mercedes can throw at you. Moral of the rant, newer does not mean less problems. 100% Maintained does not mean less problems. It's a crapshoot at best but you want the odds to be in your favor either way, a C32 on your part would have been a legitimate recommendation. Just for the records, since the mid to late 90's Mercedes tend to be one of those manufacturers where the newer cars are actually more of a headache than the earlier models. W201, W124, W123 ect. Okay lets all be freinds .

BTW the above four posters basically paraphrased the exact point I'm trying to get across. I also agree that the OP should be more financially stable before taking a plunge like this, newer AMG or not you NEED a saftey net so you can sleep at night.

Last edited by appatula; 01-31-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by appatula
Referring to what buddy? I'm not referring to anything, just making an assumption based on your level of expertise. Point being that you have no first hand experince owning an AMG and the escoteric problems that come along with them not to mention the AMG specific parts prices. A C55 is an incredibly rare car than either the C43 or C36 so when anything pops up your talking major $$. Yet your recommending it to him while he is worried about a 2K repair bill for the C43 tranny possibility? Very stupid recomendation in my opinion and I think everyone here would back me up on that wholeheartedly. I'm happy for you that you have owned Mercedes since 1980. Many of the folks here have the same story to share, if not ones that double and triple that. I have owned a mercedes since I was 16, four Mercs later bought my first AMG at 19. I'm quite avid at being my own mechanic as it is the only way I could afford one and have dealt with almost every possible nighmare a Mercedes can throw at you. Moral of the rant, newer does not mean less problems. 100% Maintained does not mean less problems. It's a crapshoot at best but you want the odds to be in your favor either way, a C32 on your part would have been a legitimate recommendation. Just for the records, since the mid to late 90's Mercedes tend to be one of those manufacturers where the newer cars are actually more of a headache than the earlier models. W201, W124, W123 ect. Okay lets all be freinds .

BTW the above four posters basically paraphrased the exact point I'm trying to get across. I also agree that the OP should be more financially stable before taking a plunge like this, newer AMG or not you NEED a saftey net so you can sleep at night.

#1. I am not assuming anything. I have many friends with W202 AMG's and many better AMG's as well. I have herd it all right from the horses mouth and was even there when the time came to bring it in the shop. Lets also remember here my father was the one why finacialy backed our local Inde shop here in our town when he wanted to go in so I have been in that shop watching and listening and even helping as a kid first hand from techs about MB. No I will admit but I am not a tech or a person who can rebuilt the motor but I am from the average teenager who tries to rice up a Honda or some other POS. Anyways. I will say it once again. Maybe someone on here will listen. I was not saying one AMG was better then another. All I was saying is that if he is worried about buying an older car then why not buy something newer. And as far as recomending a C55. You can buy a CPO car and be covered untill 100k. I do not know what this person is looking to spend so I recomended it thinking that $ was no big deal. I see no harm in that and do not like being called out on by someone saying "Very stupid recomendation in my opinion" How is it stupid? and as far as the part of saying a newer car can be issues and an older car can be better. Yes no kidding. I made that point in my post about my 1987 420SEL and how its less issues then some newer cars on the road. Read back on this thread. I wouldnt say the C55 is an incredibly rare car. Its far from a dime a dozen but I mean it wouldnt take you a month or so to find a good one. Now lets all be friends.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Whoaaaaaa wait a second I think we are both on seperate pages, I'm thinking you were talking about the W202 C55. That is not rare, but very rare. I assume now that you are referring to the W203 C55 my misconception!

Although back to the point, the PO is looking at AMG C43's which in his parts will be in the 10k range...being the upper limit. He or she is concerned about a tranny failure that will cost 2k. These cars you are recommending are way above his financial safe zone in retrospect to the severe concern he has for a potential 2k tranny failure. If he could scratch up some more dough, I correct myself, your recommendation is a very good one.

Freinds we are .
Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by appatula
Whoaaaaaa wait a second I think we are both on seperate pages, I'm thinking you were talking about the W202 C55. That is not rare, but very rare. I assume now that you are referring to the W203 C55 my misconception!

Although back to the point, the PO is looking at AMG C43's which in his parts will be in the 10k range...being the upper limit. He or she is concerned about a tranny failure that will cost 2k. These cars you are recommending are way above his financial safe zone in retrospect to the severe concern he has for a potential 2k tranny failure. If he could scratch up some more dough, I correct myself, your recommendation is a very good one.

Freinds we are .

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok. Gotchya. Yaaaa definalty on different pages there. I was ughhh W202 C55? Ummm jesus that will take forever to find. I dont think I have ever even seen one now that I think of it.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM

C36 AMG
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok. Gotchya. Yaaaa definalty on different pages there. I was ughhh W202 C55? Ummm jesus that will take forever to find. I dont think I have ever even seen one now that I think of it.
Yeah they only made about 25 worldwide... Definitely one of the rarest Benz's for sure!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by BenzMaster19
Yeah they only made about 25 worldwide... Definitely one of the rarest Benz's for sure!

I know there is a person on either this site or another who has a Brabus C55. I dont know their user name but I am sure they have pictures up of it.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
I know there is a person on either this site or another who has a Brabus C55. I dont know their user name but I am sure they have pictures up of it.
It's alllllll gooooood

That'd be a godly beast to take a cruise in....B55
Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM

MK IV .:R32
I drove one!!!!

It was at a sleezy dealership in North Hollywood, but I got to drive the car....and I'm sold. I'm not going to buy THAT car, but I'm sure that I want a C43 now

I hope this doesn't annoy you guys any more, but......

can you look at the attached .PDF and tell me if it's a p.o.s. or actually something worthwhile? It's a leggit company (A+ by the B.B.B.) and the price is pretty reasonable

thanks a ton

(it says "oil must be changed every 5,000 miles". I spoke with somebody from AA Auto Protection and he assured me that if I "follow the manufacturer's suggested service interval" the warranty will NOT be voided. 5000 miles is just a generic number they use that applies for most cars)
Attached Files

Last edited by shivi1345; 02-01-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Whats the price, coverage length and current mileage on your car?

It doesnt matter what he says, if you dont follow the printed warranty terms to the LETTER they have reason to deny a claim. They will require you to submit all receipts if there is ever a claim.

Get oil changed 5100 miles apart just ONCE, then ask for engine repairs under warranty? denied.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
you guys are still acting like 4 days into buying a C43 the tranny will **** the bed. Even if it does save a grand and do the job yourself, really no too difficult. And yes W202 C55s are rare, but ****, they have the same engine as E55s so the parts arent hard to come by. Buy a C43 and drive the thing. If a problem pops up dont be an idiot and go to the dealer to waste money and youll be set. If this keeps going on im gonna go buy that piece of crap white C43 just to prove my points and that these things arent expensive to maintain.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by AMGC
you guys are still acting like 4 days into buying a C43 the tranny will **** the bed. Even if it does save a grand and do the job yourself, really no too difficult. And yes W202 C55s are rare, but ****, they have the same engine as E55s so the parts arent hard to come by. Buy a C43 and drive the thing. If a problem pops up dont be an idiot and go to the dealer to waste money and youll be set. If this keeps going on im gonna go buy that piece of crap white C43 just to prove my points and that these things arent expensive to maintain.
Greg you need to remember everyone on here isn't as comfortable about dropping a tranny to rebuild it. Parts are cheap, labor is not. We need to remember that were fortunate enough to be able to do almost everything on our cars from a top end rebuild to even dropping a tranny. Folks who can't do this stuff, for them, these things are not inexpensive to maintain. And at the end of the day cars are cars, things DO fail. But as Greg said if you are a DIY mech you have nothing to worry about if you can afford the parts.