C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Help! I have a knocking in the rear of my 36....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 c36 amg
Exclamation Help! I have a knocking in the rear of my 36....

Hey Guys,

Anyone who can give any input with my problem will be GREATLY appreciated.

My c36 has this awful knocking noise that comes from the rear of my car (around either the exhaust area, and or the rear diff area).

It is annoyingly, pretty loud, and I know it isn't healthy for my car while I drive and is really beggining to worry me, (its like nails on a chalk board when it starts). However it only is noticed after I have driven her pretty hard...

It is most noticable when I am stopped at a red light, and I can hear it when I set off from the light, then it seems to slowly fade away. Also after the car is turned off in the driveway, it will continue knocking for close to 15 secondish....

I am pretty convinced it is not my differential, as it would be knocking while driving, not standing still (or so I believe) but when I lifted it on my dads lift in the garage it is pretty wet with oil, and seems as if it could use resealing. Would this cause knocking?

Another speculation is that it is my exhaust. That the exhaust SYSTEM (I mean all of it because this knocking is very loud) is loose somewhere or not even connected to its appropriate brackets somewhere.????? Meaning it is knocking hard between something. Would this cause this noise.... Or I know exhaust systems expand when they are very hot (Do ours much btw?...), if so would it be this expantion that is causing something?...

I pray it isnt my transmission knocking. My 36 is a '97, with the newer 5 speed. Has it gone bad maybe?!?!?!?! I have 135xxx on my car.

Has this ever happened to anyone with their car? I will take it by my mechanic this weekend and hope he can get a chance to hear this awful sound and maybe find the problem and give me a solution.

I ask all of you if you have any other ideas, speculations, on what could be causing my problem, so that I may take them to my mechanic for other possible solutions

Another random question, after driving the 36 very hard she smells as if she has just been raced and is very hot, is this common on our cars, this distinct smell or is this also something I should be concerned about... (I dont mind the smell, its nice, just curious...)

Thanks for any help in advance! It is much appreciated!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 AM

Mercedes C43 AMG
well it could be your rear cupler. the ruber gromit that hold the drive shaft and diff together. they go loose a lot of time and yours can be just really bad or u need to drive it hard again and get the noise going again and get your *** under the car and here for it lol. thats what i can tell u.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM

AMG C43, 1999
It could also be the rear wheel bearings, or the rear subframe bushings or lastly the rear lower control arm bushings.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 AM

'97 c36 amg
Hey Guys Thanks,

I must ask again would these problems ONLY occur when standing still. Like I mentioned it goes away while driving??????

Soveit- I will try this tomorrow morning, maybe be lucky enough to lift it in the garage and find the knocking
Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Did you ever figure out what this was? I may have a similar, if not the same, problem.