AC Compressor leaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG, E46 M3 Coupe
AC Compressor leaks

Hi,
Brought my 96' C36 to the shop for the 90k service.
Besides the regular service, they also had to fix the AC, which stopped working sometime ago and switched into Economy mode. I actually thought it was just an issue with the inside sensor. Anyway the service tech just called me back and told me that the AC is working again after a refill, but they don't know for how long it will last since the compressor is leaking. Replacement would cost 2700 $.
Obviously I don't want to put that much in a car that is probably not even worth that much anymore. Don't understand me wrong, I love my C36, it's actually just my weekend driver, I had a C36 when I lived in Germany (late 90's) before I got into a C43. I always regret that day when I sold it, so therefore I got this one 2years ago, just to have something to clean on Saturday mornings. ok, I'm getting off topic!
So my questions:
Is above mentioned estimate reasonable, or does it seem to high?
(It's from a local MB Dealership here in Texas)
Is an aftermarket compressor reliable and fitment OK?
Is it a big deal to put that thing in by myself, even so I have not worked on cars for 10years. Taking in consideration that I'm not an expert mechanic, but know e.g. to replace the 16 spark plugs on a C43, do a brake job or fully service a VW G60 charger.
Thanks for yalls advise...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

W202 C43 AMG
seems WAY too expensive. my god.

find one online via junkyards around the country: www.car-parts.com

and/or call around

find one off a working car and replace it yourself or buy it and pay a mechanic to do it, it'll still be a hell of a lot cheaper

mine was cracked and leaking 2 months ago, i found a used one and installed it and it blows cold

good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 AM

1996 C36 AMG, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
Fck that. Have the system evacuated, remove the compressor and have it rebuilt locally for a fraction of the cost. Reinstall and bring it back and get it refilled.

$2700 you should've laughed at 'em right on the spot.

Any place that does AC can work on that car, nothing special about it.

rjp
Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
It's $600 in parts, freon, and labor. The compressor is $450, and the receiver drier $100
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM

C36 AMG, E46 M3 Coupe
First of all thanks for all the input!
I picked the car up this morning, the service tech told me that they don't know how severe the leakage is, at this point it looks more like a sweating rather than a real leaking, so they refilled it and will see how long it last. He further meant that, if I'm lucky, it could work just fine for another summer or two and by then I could rather refill it for 150 bucks then replacing the compressor at all. Anyhow, right now the AC is working just fine, matter of fact it's really blowing ice cold now. Well, I guess at this point I just keep an eye on my AC performance over the next weeks and try to work out a backup plan meanwhile...