C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Loss of Power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 c36 amg
Loss of Power?

My 95 c36 amg seems to loose power once it heats up. In the morning it starts up great and runs like a bat outa hell but once it warms up the throttle response lacks and pick up is poor. Any ideas please.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM

1997 c36 ///AMG
could be number of things Ill give a list check them off if you already did them

1. Ignition system (coils etc)
2. Mass air flow sensor
3. spark plugs
4. Catalytic converter

My car went through the same lagging and response you mentioned at first it was my catalytic converter then after that it kinda did the same so I replaced everything now the car has been running with no problems ever since with lots of restored hp and tq
Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM

1995 c36 amg
Thank you

Top flight Benzo thank you for your advice i have changed the sparks but it seems to still lag. I will change the rest. Again thank you
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...-1996-c36.html

I'm not even kidding. Supposedly the S500 retarded the ignition 5 degrees for every 12C.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 PM

1997 c36 ///AMG
no prob man it sucks to not know what exactly the prob is I have been through that many times but if your car hasn't had like the tune up as I mentioned up above you should start thinking about them depending on the miles its safe to replace them.

Mine went like this my cat went bad and that fried my 02 sensors them the ignition system got involved coils went bad then the maf sensor which is very expensive but Im lucky with my parts bc my moms works for a warehouse of auto parts so get them very cheap but my point is one thing leads to another like domino effect best bet to really do a major tune up that way you will know whats done.

How far up does your car temp go up to?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM

1997 c36 ///AMG
Im having like the same problem now the heating up issue and its doing it since I changed spark plugs and the spark plugs I changed were terrible so I switched them back and it drove with a lot of power like the difference was huge. It drove like a beast for like maybe 2 and a half weeks but when i drove it in a hot weather like 3 days ago started to drive ku when the engine is cool but when it reaches like 80 drives like **** seems to have a misfire of some sort could it be that I should get new sparkplugs because I dont know I should have put the old spark plugs back like that I know my coils is good because they are kinda new so any ideas what it could be all I know it has to do with the ignition system like the spark plugs because when I open up the plugs part and I put it back together it just drives like brand new but after sometime It looses power and lagg alot
Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM

W210 DRFT BNZ
Alright, maybe I was wrong.

Check your car for codes, wonder if you find P0325 or P0327

If you do, undo the main engine harness connector from the ECU and check with voltmeter. Instructions\pictures in my signature.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 PM

1995 c36 amg
I ordered the parts the only thing that i have replaced is still the sparks for the fact that everything else is so expensive. You brought up a heating issue i see which is kinda funny because my car goes to to about 80 on the car temp but when it heats up a little more the temp goes to half in between 80 and 120. I took it to a Mercedes shop that only specializes in Mercedes and they told me its not a problem until you hit 120 which i find is crap. And once the car heats up to lets say 100 that is where the lag and loss of power and torque occur. Also i looked under the car and saw a clear liquid running down the exhaust. I was thinking maybe a ring melted and i am having air escape somewhere. The fluid seems to be clear and orderless like water.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 PM

W210 DRFT BNZ
Nvm guys, my issue isn't temp, so I sort of have been misinforming. Car was retarding ignition.

As far as for the liquid, probably condensation from the A\C system. If not that then condensation from your exhaust.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 PM

W124 m104 320 E
Anybody who could help me out?

I own a 124 model w104 engine 320E. It had been down for almost 2 years after an accident that required replacement of oil sump and radiator. When these were repaired recently, the vehicle started well but started overheating and losing power. It worsened and I have had to change the cylinder head, the head gasket, spark plugs, fan clutch, coils and suppressor plugs. The lack of power and overheating persists even after the above parts have been changed. I will be most appreciative for any advice on what I could do to restore this beautiful machine to its optimum performance and stop the overheating tendencies.