C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Buy one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W202
Buy one?

I am looking at a 1999 c43, with about 115k miles on her. I have drove past her, outside looks to be in good condition. The seller is young (28) but has owned it for a while, so I'm guess while still in college (23ish) and it was probably dogged. It has the two tone designo interior, white inserts with black around. It has the wipers on the headlights, idk if that was stock or not. It was owned by one other before him, he drives it often to Chicago (from Ann Arbor Michigan, sometimes Bloomfield Hills Michigan (additional 50 miles) for work). It has been for sale since spring of this year, I talked to him originally in June ish, and he was asking a cool $9800 obo. Now months later, it is much much cheaper. I was going to buy then, but work has been tough, establishing a new office and such, very time consuming and costly. With this new price he wants I am unsure if I should say fu*k it, and pull the trigger or not. It needs a new steering column or something like that, I forget it was a few months ago last time we spoke. Right now I'm in a 05' C230k with 40k miles, the a/c broke two nights ago.........very unhappy and embarrassing. If anybody can give me info on the c43, and if I should buy it, please help. How reliable are they, with this many miles, I'll also still have my c230k. And how do I/ how much will it be to recharge the C230K's a/c?

Thanks again everyone
Old 08-22-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
I'd say do it. Depending on how he took care of and drove it, there should be a lot of life left in it. Haven't heard of folks replacing steering columns in this car, but who knows. Reliability is very good with these cars in terms of drivetrain components, aside from some transmission failures that you can research on this forum. I wasn't totally impressed with the reliability of some of the electronic/comfort components of the C43, but I wouldn't say it is worse than other MB's in the last 10 years. My major problems in 4-5 years of ownership and ~100k miles were (1) A/C failure which ended up being a failed temperature sensor that I replaced for about $20 myself, and (2) winshield wiper motor and gearbox failure, which the dealership replaced for about $800 (part alone was around $500). Other than those issues, I never had to do anything but change tires and oil. If you get it and keep the w203, then you will probably always want to reach for the climate control knobs in the C230 when you want to adjust the stereo if you have been driving your C43 a lot (or conversely you will try and adjust volume on the empty dash bin slot on the C43 if coming from the C230)
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

W202
Lol well I guess I'll just have to live with the loud or quiet radio once in a while. Thanks for the advice it all sounds good. When you replaced your temp sensor what made you realize it was bad? Was there any cold air coming out at all?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by Williamr91
Lol well I guess I'll just have to live with the loud or quiet radio once in a while. Thanks for the advice it all sounds good. When you replaced your temp sensor what made you realize it was bad? Was there any cold air coming out at all?
Blew ice cold on startup for about 30 sec to a min, then started blowing warm air (s tx summertime air at that). Basically the sensor was bad, so the system was working overtime and icing up, then automatically shutting down (at least that is how it was described to me). Picked up a new sensor from autohausaz for about $20 shipped, poked around under the dash for about 30 seconds, switched it out, and the A/C worked no problems after that for the following 2 years.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
I have owned my C43 for 5 months, after I bought it I had a tune up and the MAF replaced and haven't had any problems. The C43 is a BLAST to drive and sounds GREAT. I love my C43 and honestly don't think I will ever get rid of it. My plan is to roll it until the engine dies (which should take a while) and then I am going to do the 5.4L swap and turn my C43 into a C55 . I suggest you buy it, you won't be disappointed
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM

W202
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
Blew ice cold on startup for about 30 sec to a min, then started blowing warm air (s tx summertime air at that). Basically the sensor was bad, so the system was working overtime and icing up, then automatically shutting down (at least that is how it was described to me). Picked up a new sensor from autohausaz for about $20 shipped, poked around under the dash for about 30 seconds, switched it out, and the A/C worked no problems after that for the following 2 years.
Thank you for the description, yeah mine just blows hot humid air at me so I will first try a re-charge, if that doesn't work, its probably the system. Hopefully a recharge will work lol. Its odd only 40k miles on her too. Oh well thanks for all the info and advice. I am going to pull the trigger on the C43, she unfortunately be a garage queen until after winter, in Michigan that's late March or April but this fall shall be fun.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM

W202
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
I have owned my C43 for 5 months, after I bought it I had a tune up and the MAF replaced and haven't had any problems. The C43 is a BLAST to drive and sounds GREAT. I love my C43 and honestly don't think I will ever get rid of it. My plan is to roll it until the engine dies (which should take a while) and then I am going to do the 5.4L swap and turn my C43 into a C55 . I suggest you buy it, you won't be disappointed
Yes, if it is still there Wednesday, I am purchasing it. The monoblock rims are perfect too so I'll have those powder coated black, to match the black paint, smoked tail lights, tint and black side markers.

When I get it, I'll post some pictures on the w202 AMG fourm.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
The W202 climate control would appear to be a weak point, at least based on the number of people on here that have had issues with it at one point or another. Mine is currently in permanent Economy mode (ie no compressor running and no cool air). I haven't bothered messing with it to fix it. Other than that, I had a Mass Air Flow sensor go bad early on that was an easy fix and cost about $130 or so. No other issues over the last three years (knock on wood). I don't daily drive mine either though.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
it will take ya a lifetime to kill dat engine in your C-fou three AE EM GE!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Its odd only 40k miles on her too.
That's just kind of what I was talking about in terms of comfort system reliability in these cars. Obviously the w203 is a couple years newer than late model C43's, but they suffered from some of the same problems. Honestly not unusual for these or those cars, though the fix may be a lot less expensive and involved than you may think. I got all the info I needed to diagnose and fix in this very subforum, so I'd imagine you aren't the only one with this problem in the w203 world. My *guess* is that the problem is originating in less high dollar subsystems than things like the compressor/condenser/etc. More than likely a wayward sensor or something. Lots of little things go into these very user friendly and complicated climate control systems, and this leaves a lot of little things to fail as well. Good luck, it was one of the more satisfying repairs I have made on a car to date!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Are you sure it's not the steering damper which needs to be changes? If so, it is not an expensive thing to do. Check transmission and box for smooth and perfect up and down changes (part and full throttle). Has the ATF been changed at all during the car's "short" life?
I have my 99' C43 since April this year. It is not a daily driver, just for week-ends and when I feel the need to blow the cobwebs away Has over 210'000km now and pulls strong Only problem I have had for the moment is a dead CPS two weeks after I got the car. This fault seems to be a common problem. A/C works perfectly and in full auto mode all the time. Blows hot or cold air when needed and dries the air so as to be comfortable.
Go get it and enjoy the car. I'm sure you wouldn't regret it
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM

W202
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
That's just kind of what I was talking about in terms of comfort system reliability in these cars. Obviously the w203 is a couple years newer than late model C43's, but they suffered from some of the same problems. Honestly not unusual for these or those cars, though the fix may be a lot less expensive and involved than you may think. I got all the info I needed to diagnose and fix in this very subforum, so I'd imagine you aren't the only one with this problem in the w203 world. My *guess* is that the problem is originating in less high dollar subsystems than things like the compressor/condenser/etc. More than likely a wayward sensor or something. Lots of little things go into these very user friendly and complicated climate control systems, and this leaves a lot of little things to fail as well. Good luck, it was one of the more satisfying repairs I have made on a car to date!
Thanks do you have a link, or you just searched under the w203 fourms? Well I talked to the owner of the C43, and a guy from the other side of the state, came in at midnight, and bought the car. I am so angry right now. I got so geeked up and even looked to see if the vanity plate I would have used is available, it was. well next time I wont hesitate
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

W202
Thanks for the advice and your experience. Unfortunately it was purchased from a guy across the state, at mid night I shouldn't have waited errr.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Don't worry, an even better deal will come up. They're around and you'll find the one you're looking for. I'd encourage you to keep an eye open for a W208 CLK55 as well, unless you're needing four doors.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Thanks do you have a link, or you just searched under the w203 fourms? Well I talked to the owner of the C43, and a guy from the other side of the state, came in at midnight, and bought the car. I am so angry right now. I got so geeked up and even looked to see if the vanity plate I would have used is available, it was. well next time I wont hesitate
Oh this problem happened in my old C43, not a w203, though I'd imagine you could find some info from those guys as well re: your C230K. Anyway, keep looking, there are plenty of nice cars out there FS!