C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Where to source a 5.4L???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i10
The 4.3's manifolds and accessories need to be swapped onto the 5.4, but that's about it. Regarding the transmission, if the engines are basically from the same family, one would expect the transmission bellhousings to mate up just fine, so you could keep the trans as is. And there are other members who have trans from E55s in their C43s, from what I understand.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
Here is one for $2,500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7611-...Q5fAccessories

With the ML engine you have to swap the oil pan, oil pump and Pick up from the C43, as well at the exhaust manifolds.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
any and all swaps are doable ,,Rudy can do it ,call him at 952 681 1000. and he has a s55 supercharged eng with tranny ready for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
Originally Posted by himani
The 4.3's manifolds and accessories need to be swapped onto the 5.4, but that's about it. Regarding the transmission, if the engines are basically from the same family, one would expect the transmission bellhousings to mate up just fine, so you could keep the trans as is. And there are other members who have trans from E55s in their C43s, from what I understand.
A 5.5 swap in my friends C43 was just completed. I located a 87k long block from a 99 E55 locally for about 2k. It did arrive with the wiring harness, coil packs and fuel rails, but most other items were removed.

First off, the 99 E55 harness has a couple of extra wires in it. The decision was made to use the C43 harness. Don't know if the E55 harness would of worked AS-IS or not, but it wasn't worth the risk or time to figure out what those extra wires were for.

Of course many people already know that the C43 has two coolant lines (E55 has only one) so a plug needed to be removed and another coolant line installed. Not a big issue there either, as a large bolt was tapped into the plug so pulling it out was very simple.

Exhaust manifolds as mentioned need to be swapped over. No problems in that area.

There were no transmission issues at all. The C43 trans bolts up to the 5.5 without issue, nothing else worth mentioning on that topic.

Also, when routing the wire harness for the alternator, it was discovered that the screw holes for it were not tapped on the E55 motor, but easy enough to do since the screws are self tapping.

Also found the water pump pulley had bad bearings in it, so that was swapped over as well.

No other issues were found doing the swap. Very easy, just a bit time consuming for swapping all the parts over, replacing gaskets, resealing etc. Ran into some problems with rusted bolts on the exhaust, that was probably the most frustrating part.

SDS was run on the car when it was finished, reset the C43 ECU, checked for error conditions etc. Everything went fine.

The owner of the car is compiling a detailed photo log of the entire process, it just needs descriptive captions at this point. I expect it to be the most through "how-to" once it is finished.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 AMG 190E EVO2DTM, 240T Turbo Benz, 84 AMG 190E, 560SEC-TT, 95 C36 & a BHG 98 C230
I have a leftover Caddy Northstar motor from my 944 project. I think I am going to put it in this 98 C230 with a blown head gasket I got for free. Put in a standard trans and this will make a great track car.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by 2PHAST
A 5.5 swap in my friends C43 was just completed. I located a 87k long block from a 99 E55 locally for about 2k. It did arrive with the wiring harness, coil packs and fuel rails, but most other items were removed.

First off, the 99 E55 harness has a couple of extra wires in it. The decision was made to use the C43 harness. Don't know if the E55 harness would of worked AS-IS or not, but it wasn't worth the risk or time to figure out what those extra wires were for.

Of course many people already know that the C43 has two coolant lines (E55 has only one) so a plug needed to be removed and another coolant line installed. Not a big issue there either, as a large bolt was tapped into the plug so pulling it out was very simple.

Exhaust manifolds as mentioned need to be swapped over. No problems in that area.

There were no transmission issues at all. The C43 trans bolts up to the 5.5 without issue, nothing else worth mentioning on that topic.

Also, when routing the wire harness for the alternator, it was discovered that the screw holes for it were not tapped on the E55 motor, but easy enough to do since the screws are self tapping.

Also found the water pump pulley had bad bearings in it, so that was swapped over as well.

No other issues were found doing the swap. Very easy, just a bit time consuming for swapping all the parts over, replacing gaskets, resealing etc. Ran into some problems with rusted bolts on the exhaust, that was probably the most frustrating part.

SDS was run on the car when it was finished, reset the C43 ECU, checked for error conditions etc. Everything went fine.

The owner of the car is compiling a detailed photo log of the entire process, it just needs descriptive captions at this point. I expect it to be the most through "how-to" once it is finished.
Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy it ,the car will be a blast.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
500E Signal Rot
My "Friend" is enjoying it so far.

He also prefers the car without the Sprint booster (which was removed during the swap), although I prefer the car with the Sprint booster.

As for me, have not had a chance to drive it post swap. So, once it is dry, hopefully he will let me take it for a test drive.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by 2PHAST

Good news and interesting reading. Looking forward on reading and seeing the log in preparation. If complete, it could be made a sticky also
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
I cannot wait to see this writeup. I hope its posted in the 5.4 swap sticky so we can avoid have to make a separate sticky for it a lone.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by austinholloman
I cannot wait to see this writeup. I hope its posted in the 5.4 swap sticky so we can avoid have to make a separate sticky for it a lone.
GOOD IDEA