RWHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Originally Posted by thepinoc
Ima just wait for my friends with GT5 to buy the c36 and c43, see how virtual runs go in the standing mile.
Hmm...I've been playing GT5 since I got it last week. From the car lists I've seen, and of course browsing through the game, unfortunately the C36 and the C43 are not represented. The C63 and the W208 CLK55 are in there though...along with the SL55 and SL600.

I've been using my '54 300SL, and have now dumped about all the mods into it...still not quite quick enough to match the '70s exotica (Lambos, Ferraris, etc) in the Supercar Nostalgia cup though. Doh!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
again not trying to start a flame war but neither of you answered my question. No doubt the C36 engine is more tuned than the C43's (4 valves per cylinder vs 3 valves per cylinder) but we are talking physics here.... Less power + more weight = slower car, I think we could all agreee on that.
Here is the answer to your question: calculus.

What matters is the area under the power curve, not the highest spike in the curve. In fact, strictly mathematically speaking, your car spends an infinitely small amount of time at exactly the peak RPM. Practically speaking it spends some of the time at or around the peak RPM. But in the end what will matter is where the gearing puts the car, how well it will shift gears and for each infinitely sub-divisible period of time, what the power output at that instance is (that specific RPM point).

If you want a slightly dumber (read: easier) answer. then read this:
  • Better torque curve (plateauing power curve)
  • Very tight shifting transmission (short time spent shifting)
Originally Posted by austinholloman
A 6cyl engine can often feel faster because its more peaky and workers harder to move the same vehicle, where as a V8 doesn't need to try as hard to move the car, its can seem almost effortless/not as fast. Sit them side by side and run them in a str8 line. The law of physics will not be out done here. C43 is lighter with more power in every way and an extra gear. If you do it, pleas video it!!!
None of this makes sense. Cylinder count has nothing to do with any of this. It all torque curve. Consider an F1 engine (V8) and a turbodiesel semi (I6). It is bore, stroke, valving and timing. Doesn't matter what the engine is: if you floor the pedal both cars will throw stoichiometry out the window and will try to extract the maximum amount of power they can. They will both work as hard as the factory tuning lets them.

Originally Posted by austinholloman
To end this: This is my personal opinion based on owning a C43 and a E36 inline 6 and just what I have noticed.
This ends nothing. I will end it when a C43 runs me.

Last edited by jumph4x; 12-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by jumph4x

What matters is the area under the power curve, not the highest spike in the curve. In fact, strictly mathematically speaking, your car spends an infinitely small amount of time at exactly the peak RPM. Practically speaking it spends some of the time at or around the peak RPM. But in the end what will matter is where the gearing puts the car, how well it will shift gears and for each infinitely sub-divisible period of time, what the power output at that instance is (that specific RPM point).

That makes sense
Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
again not trying to start a flame war but neither of you answered my question. No doubt the C36 engine is more tuned than the C43's (4 valves per cylinder vs 3 valves per cylinder) but we are talking physics here.... Less power + more weight = slower car, I think we could all agreee on that.
Numbers only mean so much. How do you know that they didn't use different dynamometers for testing the 36 and 43? transmission gearing plays a factor too, along with more potential drivetrain loss from the 5spd versus the 4spd autos. ponder upon it.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Numbers only mean so much. How do you know that they didn't use different dynamometers for testing the 36 and 43? transmission gearing plays a factor too, along with more potential drivetrain loss from the 5spd versus the 4spd autos. ponder upon it.
Your reaching with the dyno statement.... The gearing and drivetrain loss play a factor but I believe it is more along the lines of what Jumph4x had posted.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Hmm...I've been playing GT5 since I got it last week. From the car lists I've seen, and of course browsing through the game, unfortunately the C36 and the C43 are not represented. The C63 and the W208 CLK55 are in there though...along with the SL55 and SL600.

I've been using my '54 300SL, and have now dumped about all the mods into it...still not quite quick enough to match the '70s exotica (Lambos, Ferraris, etc) in the Supercar Nostalgia cup though. Doh!
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=33712

Page 2, look under mercedes. I stand corrected, the c36 will not be represented, but the c43 should, and will be. just probably not in the initial CD. too many cars to push in.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
The point of this post was, feelings are not a good way to judge how fast something is. Feelings are nothing but personal perceptions you make the end judgement on. Not a fact.

Originally Posted by jumph4x

None of this makes sense. Cylinder count has nothing to do with any of this. It all torque curve. Consider an F1 engine (V8) and a turbodiesel semi (I6). It is bore, stroke, valving and timing. Doesn't matter what the engine is: if you floor the pedal both cars will throw stoichiometry out the window and will try to extract the maximum amount of power they can. They will both work as hard as the factory tuning lets them.

This ends nothing. I will end it when a C43 runs me.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
the thing is the 43 dose claim to have some 306 hp and 300lbft but it doesnt really feel it especially that its fitted with shorter gearing. The V8 simply doesnt feel torquy low down and prolly those 306 hp only come at a very tight rpm range before trailing off again. Any way so as not to be blamed for a war here i will quit this debate and i admit ur logic is correct yet on tests done by autocar and many other mags the 36 and 43 came up dead on par.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
I'm starting to wonder why this matters? Both cars are great and fun to drive, the end. Just like the C32 guys claims their cars a on par based on car mags and sometimes better than the C55, who cares??? You buy the one you want and make it your own. Let's leave the mines faster than yours talk up to the guys in the w203 section, they are good at it.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Agree, but what about including gear box ratios and final drive. That can also probably have an influence. How much? No idea, cause I'm not an engineer
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=33712

Page 2, look under mercedes. I stand corrected, the c36 will not be represented, but the c43 should, and will be. just probably not in the initial CD. too many cars to push in.
Dood, that list is like 3 years old! I haven't fully explored the game (it can take hundreds of hours for that), but on one of the challenges, you drive the Nurburgring full circuit in the '54 300SL, with what appears to be the full line up of Mercedes cars in the game on the track as well. No C43, unfortunately. I do hope I'm wrong though, but I haven't seen the car in the game. Pity. I think it (or the C36) was in GT2 or perhaps GT3.

Try this list:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo...cial-car-list/
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 ML55, 00' E55, 03' CLK55
Yea Gt2 had the C43 as well as the 210e55