C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Mr first C43 Oil change / Checkup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

So I can get an oil change around the corner at an indie mercedes mechanic for about $90

What will I spend on oil/filter/plug etc to do it myself?

Might not be worth the trouble?

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
It is a DIY job if you have some basic tools and equipment. Drain the oil down the sewers... nobody will notice I'm KIDDING. Old oil MUST be disposed of in a secure and proper place. It is a polluter. Search around for some DIY, but I would recommend you get it done by a professionnal in the know with proper tooling and equipement. Your C43 deserves special treatment: Mobil1 0W/40, genuine OE filters, O rings, etc.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1998 C43, 2017 Honda Accord Sport
Originally Posted by ChampagneC
Thanks for the reply!

So I can get an oil change around the corner at an indie mercedes mechanic for about $90

Oil will cost me anywhere from $50-60 depending on where I buy it, then another $12 or so for the filter. So about $75 for a DIY max.

Also, Mobil 1 has a rewards program on their site. You get $5 back for every 5qts purchased or something like that. Gotta photocopy your receipt, cut out the UPCs, and mail them in.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by ChampagneC
Thanks for the reply!

That doesn't sound too bad since the oil alone (Mobil-1 synthetic) should run about $7-$8/quart? Just make sure he uses OEM MBZ oil filters and you should be good to go.

May not be worth your while to get dirty and dispose of oil to save $20....
Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Below is an article explaining what the FSS is and how to reset it:

If you do an oil change yourself, which most people do you will need to reset the FSS, or Flexible Service System light. This cannot be reset with a scan tool, as those are designed for reading codes in the check engine light, and the below procedure will not work for a check engine light issue.

First How the System works:

The Flexible Service System calculates in both miles and time, how long before you need to service the engines oil. Simply press the mileage button 2 times and you will see this displayed on the dash.

The new V8 & V6 motors are equipped with an oil quality sensor connected to the cars, computer system, as well as an oil level indicator. These two sensors as well as sensors from the cars CAN-BUS system feed additional data such as Speed, Engine and Coolant Temperture, Load Factor, RPM, and Engine Oil Temperature.

Additional factors, such as operating conditions, stop and go driving, high speed driving, cold starts, and oil usage are also calculated to determine the time/distance between oil changes. If your driving conditions are right, the system may even extend the 10,000 mile service intervals. However, oil is not that expensive, and we not recommend attempting to drive that long on one batch of oil. You cannot damage the engine changing the oil too frequently, however, you can certainly burn out rings, seals, and bearing by not changing your oil regularly.

How to Reset the System:

This technique has always worked for me, and is exactly as it was mentioned in my owners manuals under FSS so your mileage may vary:

Your Key Switch has 4 detents or positions.

Position 0 – Locked Wheel – Engine Off
Position 1 – Wheel Unlocked – Engine Off
Position 2 - Wheel Unlocked – Engine On – This is where you normally have the key when driving
Position 3 – Wheel Unlocked – Starter Engaged

Now you are going to use the same button, that when pressed twice, displayed your remaining time and mileage. Normally the R button.

Get in the car and close the doors. Put your finger on the R button but do not press it yet.

Turn your key to the Run (ON) Position, Number 2 from the list.

Now Press the R Button 2 times.

You will see the number of miles or days remaining for service displayed.

Turn the key to the off position within a few seconds.

Press and Hold the R Button while turning the key back to the run position (2).

Nothing has changed yet – do not panic, keep holding in the R button for 10-15 seconds more, you should hear a beep, and now the see that the system has reset the service interval. Let go of the button and you are all set.

Hope this helps
everytime an oil change is done does the system need to be reset? or will the system know that new oil has been put in and will adjust accordingly?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by illmaticnyc
everytime an oil change is done does the system need to be reset? or will the system know that new oil has been put in and will adjust accordingly?

I don't drive my car everyday which means I get a 2 year service intervall, I do A or B service every 2 years.
On these tune ups my mechanic resets the ASSYST for next time service.

I also do an oilchange in between those 2 years, which means oilchange once a year.
However I don't reset the ASSYST in between the A or B service.

My car is not a daily driver, therefore the service schedule is not how MB factory intended the service schedule for w202 cars.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by illmaticnyc
You will need to reset it.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 218 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I confirm also the reset recommendation after new oil regardless of A or B service. The oil is the life blood of your engine.
If you can't recall when you had your last A or B service check, guess you may have some Alzheimer disease
Old 05-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
I confirm also the reset recommendation after new oil regardless of A or B service. The oil is the life blood of your engine.
If you can't recall when you had your last A or B service check, guess you may have some Alzheimer disease
i keep my maint schedule in a detailed spreadsheet. i dont use the light but not sure if i have to reset it or it runs on a sensor. thanks!