C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Failing maf symptoms??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Failing maf symptoms??

Hey guys my car (c43) hasnt been running to well lately. I mean around town cruising it runs great but when you go to give it some stick its reluctant to kick down and when it does its struggles to rev above 3000 and then jerks and dosent have any grunt or pickup it feels really terrible. so the history of the car its around 100,000kms, had a B service done about 12 months ago. umm and dust to the problem described i pulled the maf out last weekend and cleaned with CRC mass air flow cleaner but that was to no avail. You guys input and shared experiences would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-20-2011, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I would get the codes checked. That will point out where the problem lies, but it could be a dying MAF
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by amg801
Hey guys my car (c43) hasnt been running to well lately. I mean around town cruising it runs great but when you go to give it some stick its reluctant to kick down and when it does its struggles to rev above 3000 and then jerks and dosent have any grunt or pickup it feels really terrible. so the history of the car its around 100,000kms, had a B service done about 12 months ago. umm and dust to the problem described i pulled the maf out last weekend and cleaned with CRC mass air flow cleaner but that was to no avail. You guys input and shared experiences would be greatly appreciated
have you checked your oxygen sensors?
they might go bad before the recommended intervalls of 160.000km!
mine broke at 70.000km and I didn't know about it, because euro c43's doesn't have the check engine light.
car starts to jerk if you provoce the axxeleration from stand still.
It's difficult for the trans to upshift to 2nd gear,bad performance as a result.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM

C43 AMG
Kowalski that does sound like the symptoms it feels like **** hey and the car is slow as hell. i hope its just the maf or O2 sensors
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Banned

Kowalski that does sound like the symptoms it feels like **** hey and the car is slow as hell. i hope its just the maf or O2 sensors
I only had 1 bad oxygen sensor, and it porked my c43's performance!
I changed it and the car was like a bullet!
After a while I changed the other sensor just in case, you never know when the other goes bad?

try this:
stand still with your car and put the gear stick in D.
Then take off with a blast, 1st gear is ok, but from 1st to 2nd gear you'll have a problem if you oxygen sensor is bad, then you have to let of the pedal and let the 2nd gear engage, by this time you have lost the race!
The other gears shifts without any problems.
It's only 2nd gear that fails if you make high speed accelerations.

Check your codes, it's either the MAF or oxygen sensor, car feels weaker and not like an AMG if one of these parts are bad.
My euro c43 have only 2 front oxygen sensors, rears are plugged from factory, jippeeeeeeeeeee!

Are you in Canada or europe, I notice you have the KM speedo on your car.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 AM

C43 AMG
kawolski im in australia it sounds exactly like what your describing the o2 sensors are thos things that stick out of the exhaust with the wire attached hey. where are they located on the c43 and where is the diagnostic plug??
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

kawolski im in australia it sounds exactly like what your describing the o2 sensors are thos things that stick out of the exhaust with the wire attached hey. where are they located on the c43 and where is the diagnostic plug??
oxygen sensors, one of them have a blue coloured sleeve and the other is black IIRC?
They are screwed on the exhaust pipe near the firewall.
LIft your car with the jack and remove the wheel or put it on a hoist and check under the car much easier.
Both oxygen sensors are mounted on the sides of the engine on the small cats IIRC.

You have any Check engine light display on your cluster?
It's an engine symbol illuminating in red or yellow colour in the cluster

diagnostic plug on my car is on the passengers side fire wall black box, it's a round plug adapter you need to screw into the box.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 01-20-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM

C43 AMG
ok there is no engine light on the dash, i will have a look on the weekend under the car to see how accessable the sensors are, but its probly smarter that i plug it into the diagnostic b4 i go changing them i wish i had my own diagnostic kit. ill keep you posted man on how things go and is it cool to PM you if i got any other questions??
Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Banned

ok there is no engine light on the dash, i will have a look on the weekend under the car to see how accessable the sensors are, but its probly smarter that i plug it into the diagnostic b4 i go changing them i wish i had my own diagnostic kit. ill keep you posted man on how things go and is it cool to PM you if i got any other questions??
MAAF and oxy sensors are common wear and tear items most likely it's one of them, or a bad injector giving you a jerking problem.
Try the cheapest solution first, and buy an STP injector cleaner, if the injectors are clogged up you'll have performance problems with this too!

your Auzzie cars are similar to UK cars but you're using KM instead of miles.
Am I rite?
Where's your car can't find the pictures!

I wanna see what kind of options you have, if it's similar to european cars or if it's poorer equipped like US spec cars?
Have you seen power rear blind and parktronic sensors on any Auzzie C43's?

Just shoot a PM anytime bro!
Cheers

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 01-20-2011 at 07:36 AM.