C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Radio, Suspension, shifter knob question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG 1996 black on black
Radio, Suspension, shifter knob question

Hi, Again I'm asking questions because I'm still doing my plan of the modifications I want to do next summer and I'v come with 3 new things.

first one is : the Radio.
is there any more recent radio that I can buy and put instead of the actual one ? because I'd like to listen to my music with an auxiliary port, ect. But the thing is, I don't want to buy a cheap radio or a *rice* radio, like alpine with 5000 blue colors that flashes everywhere, ect.

Second : Suspension.. I want to lower my car by maximum 2 inches (unless you have other advices) because I don't want to be *hellaflush* and I don't want my wheel to be in my fenders.. I just want to drop it a little. Some peoples on other forums suggested me the Bilstein B8, is it a good choice ? do you have other options to suggest me ?

Third and last (it's almost finish) : the shifter knob... Mine is really in bad condition, but I don't want to change for a different one. I'd like to put a new shifter knob with the C36 on it but I can't find it... anybody knows where I can buy one ?

Thanks !!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by cassard
Hi, Again I'm asking questions because I'm still doing my plan of the modifications I want to do next summer and I'v come with 3 new things.

is there any more recent radio that I can buy and put instead of the actual one ? because I'd like to listen to my music with an auxiliary port, ect. But the thing is, I don't want to buy a cheap radio or a *rice* radio, like alpine with 5000 blue colors that flashes everywhere, ect.

Second : Suspension.. I want to lower my car by maximum 2 inches (unless you have other advices) because I don't want to be *hellaflush* and I don't want my wheel to be in my fenders.. I just want to drop it a little. Some peoples on other forums suggested me the Bilstein B8, is it a good choice ? do you have other options to suggest me ?

Third and last (it's almost finish) : the shifter knob... Mine is really in bad condition, but I don't want to change for a different one. I'd like to put a new shifter knob with the C36 on it but I can't find it... anybody knows where I can buy one ?

Thanks !!
Bilstein B8's are shocks and have nothing to do with your ride height. You need to get lowering springs like Vogtland, H&R, Eibach, etc...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by cassard

. . . . snip . . .
Alpine rice? Cheap? "Alpine", the OEM supplier to BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, and Aston Martin? To each their own, but an Alpine X305 doesn’t flash, the display controls illuminate in blue or red (including the TFT display), performs sub-second song loads for iPod/iPhones (averages half-second), has 0.008% THD @ 1kHz, has customizable options for iPod/iPhone navigation, displays album artwork, can read USB drives, can look through internal address books, use internal phone memory, and dial through the head unit, is Bluetooth compatible, Pandora capable, and with the addition of a $15 PAC box, mine sends a balanced diff signal to the factory Bose amps – just like Bose and Mercedes-Benz intended. It doesn’t play CDs, but CDs have been obsolete for some time now. Besides, a $20 16GB flash drive will hold 150 hours of music recorded at 192Kbps (50% higher than CD quality).

Did I mention the OE steering wheel controls work?

But like I said, to each their own. What are you looking for? Single DIN? Double with NAV/TV/DVD player? Or?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM

well I don't know for you, but my OEM radio isn't an alpine....

I well I'd like a simple screen one, for the navigation I don't really care if it has it or not.

and for what I'v heard of alpine radios, it's really cheap.. brand new out of the box and 2 buttons not working, flashy blue lights everywhere, ect.

I just want something sober with a screen an auxiliary port.

I have a stupid questions.. Is it possible to take out the A/C controller and the radio, cut the wood trim between them and put some kind of device that could control both of them ?

oh and sorry.. but the X305 is exactly what I'm NOT looking for..

Last edited by cassard; 04-02-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Bilstein B8's are shocks and have nothing to do with your ride height. You need to get lowering springs like Vogtland, H&R, Eibach, etc...
oh thanks xD sorry I'm not very good with these brands. but Can I just get spring to lower my ride height ? or I need to change my suspensions to ? and witch one do you suggest. money isn't a problem, so I'm looking for something good quality.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Dynocomped C43K, 08 X5
How about using the "Official C43/36 Mod" thread? All your answers are there but the shifter I think. You can get some shifters from ebay or you can fab a new shifter using your old one.