C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Wheels and brakes causing me many headaches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Wheels and brakes causing me many headaches

Haven't been on here for a while, been to busy emptying my wallet into my mechanics hands. Latest problem is with the park brake. Got some new 18" brabus knockoffs all around to replace the bent front one from my Kentucky Pothole incident except my stock lugs don't fit. The offset of the wheels are slightly different than the stock 17's, but one of my super-warn tyres blew out, so I thought I'd see if the new wheels would work at all with the stock lug bolts. Unfortunately, after installing the rears and rolling just a half a foot, i realized that the stock blots are too long. I learned this because of the terrible springy-scraping sound coming from inside the wheel well. After some research on line, i learned that was because the lugs were sticking out the other end of the hub and rubbing on components of the park brake. Today I put the stock 17's back on and rolled it again to see if I had messed up anything with my slight rolling with the lugs sticking through. Unfortunately, it seems I did. So my question to all of you is anyone have any idea of what might be messed up?? Anyone had this happen before? It seems like it's only coming from one side which is good, but what is messed up? Do i just need to release/mess with the park-brake spring inside there? Or am I looking at a much larger, costlier fix?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 c43 / 99 ml430
ugh sorry to hear hopefully a heavy weight will chime in.. perhaps you should post in the general forums for w202 as well.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 c230
yea it happens i sell wheels ill private message you my number call me
Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 AM

C43 AMG 5.5 - 396.4HP
I think the only way to check what has been damaged is to dismount...

The screws should have at least 6.5 turns into winding. In the rear of our W202 it should not be more than 10-11 turns. Otherwise it might damage something.
Take also care if the head is ball or cone!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
Haven't been on here for a while, been to busy emptying my wallet into my mechanics hands. Latest problem is with the park brake. Got some new 18" brabus knockoffs all around to replace the bent front one from my Kentucky Pothole incident except my stock lugs don't fit. The offset of the wheels are slightly different than the stock 17's, but one of my super-warn tyres blew out, so I thought I'd see if the new wheels would work at all with the stock lug bolts. Unfortunately, after installing the rears and rolling just a half a foot, i realized that the stock blots are too long. I learned this because of the terrible springy-scraping sound coming from inside the wheel well. After some research on line, i learned that was because the lugs were sticking out the other end of the hub and rubbing on components of the park brake. Today I put the stock 17's back on and rolled it again to see if I had messed up anything with my slight rolling with the lugs sticking through. Unfortunately, it seems I did. So my question to all of you is anyone have any idea of what might be messed up?? Anyone had this happen before? It seems like it's only coming from one side which is good, but what is messed up? Do i just need to release/mess with the park-brake spring inside there? Or am I looking at a much larger, costlier fix?

Thanks
I ran into this same issue when installing my 19" rims. Fortunately for me I had an experienced installer, he placed in a lug nut and spun the tire while it was on the rack. He kept trying shorter and shorter lug nuts until we found the correct one that wouldn't rub.

Open it up and see what the issue is, it's not that difficult.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 AM

2006 c230
8 turns is the industry standard, the problem is lugs come in 26, 29, 31,33mm he probably has conical seats,