off topic: Honda Edmonton Indy 2011

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
off topic: Honda Edmonton Indy 2011

For the first time in a few years, I attended my 'home' race (even though I didn't go on raceday!). New track layout was interesting, and I also stopped by a bit of a car show set up downtown to support the race. Here are some of my favourite pix from the day:

The only F1 car there! 07 or 08 vintage Toyota show car, brought by Bridgestone:

One day I would like one of these in my garage (this was a pace car for the Northern Alberta Sportscar Club support event):

I wish Takuma Sato had more time in F1, so here's hoping he finds more success in Indycars:

"Mr. Ashley Judd":

everyone's (every guy's?) favourite Indycar racer, especially for her Go Daddy commercials

Would love this car in my garage even more than the GT3 - love the vanity plate!:

my attempt at an 'art' shot, showing a Ferrari 512BB reflected in the rear quarter of the Scuderia:

All the photos of the Indycars were shot at the end of the run off area by turn 1. The cars were decelerating and then turning, so I got a good chance to follow them as they were 'slow' at that point. I was shooting through the spectator fencing, and then found a gap in the 'real' fencing that was left open for accredited photographers. Worked out well! I've been to a bunch of ChampCar/Indy/F1 races, not to mention the Goodwood Festival of Speed twice, and these are the best 'action' shots I've been able to take at a major motorsports event. Fun!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
Thanks for sharing.

Non-Canadians wouldn't understand RRSP.

It means "Registered Retirement Savings Plan". More or less the same as
an IRA for Americans.

Was this held at the Municipal airport?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Yep, race was at the airport, but on a revised track from previous years. The City recently announced that the airport will be closed in the coming years, and redeveloped into a very large residential area...just a matter of time before the race is gone too. That said, Castrol Raceway announced that they are paving a roadcourse there, first phase should be done by this fall. No intention of hosting the Indycar race there, yet, but it should be fit enough for ALMS. I'm actually more keen to see ALMS than Indycars again, but we'll see what happens in the coming years.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Nice pictures and I like the non ABS braking shots