C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Is it worth buying these rear Toe links?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Denis, to tell you the truth, if I had to start again, I probably would go down the 202brabus method. Probably more than sufficient for our needs. I could try this for the toe arms later....
Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Denis, to tell you the truth, if I had to start again, I probably would go down the 202brabus method. Probably more than sufficient for our needs. I could try this for the toe arms later....
Buddy.
Are these camber arms using same specs for toe in links, do they fit both camber and toe in when installed or did I understand you wrong?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Probably similar except different length tube. Have to check and get some measurements
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
The part that scares me about the DIY camber arms, is that there are no strength rating available for the parts used....
Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
heim (or rose) joints.. anyone get rattles from them after a while? i've had some aurora heim joints for swaybar endlinks and they rattle like crazy after a while, even with a protective boot. i ended up going back to a beefier-than-stock ball joint.

anyone else get rattles?

Originally Posted by kowalski
I thought Conti's were the best for MB?
They are originally fitted to AMG cars.
is that what mb fitted on the c43? the c36 had bridgestone expedia S01..ok tire. "best" tire is really a personal taste... what works for one may not work for another
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by steve s
heim (or rose) joints.. anyone get rattles from them after a while? i've had some aurora heim joints for swaybar endlinks and they rattle like crazy after a while, even with a protective boot. i ended up going back to a beefier-than-stock ball joint.
Yeah, that's why they are used in race cars and changed often befor they wear out and rattle and where cost is not an issue. For road use it is somewhat going a bit overboard
Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by steve s

anyone else get rattles?

is that what mb fitted on the c43? the c36 had bridgestone expedia S01..ok tire. "best" tire is really a personal taste... what works for one may not work for another
my car had Conti's fitted on the 17 inch rims.
don't know about NA market
Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

Yeah, that's why they are used in race cars and changed often befor they wear out and rattle and where cost is not an issue. For road use it is somewhat going a bit overboard
Must mean that joints wear out faster on racetrack and lasts longer in regular traffic?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Must mean that joints wear out faster on racetrack and lasts longer in regular traffic?
True, but racing will put much greater forces on all the mechanical parts including suspension. I estimate that the difference between the two is probably a ratio of 1:10 Honestly, I am having second thoughts on these camber arms, but I will give them a chance and a try.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

True, but racing will put much greater forces on all the mechanical parts including suspension. I estimate that the difference between the two is probably a ratio of 1:10 Honestly, I am having second thoughts on these camber arms, but I will give them a chance and a try.
I hope I don't experiance any negative stuff with my camber arms, I have another 2½ months to drive my bit-h on the roads b4 I shut her down this year for winter season.
Maybe or maybe, not time will tell about these joints if they'll make any noize?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
you're saying MB Arts metal ball joints are less good compared to balljoints you have on your car?
I have no issues about squeeks or other noises.
Yes. First because I have NO ball joints. The joints of 202brabus method are single-axis, poly-urethane bushing ones. Also There is no -metal-on-metal contact. It is all absorbed by the cylindrical urethane bushing, much like the original Mercedes control arms, front and back.

This is not what I meant. I simply meant that the metal ball joint approach is used in racing, where parts dont last long and are replaced often. This approach is almost never used in production cars due to this simple reason: its noisy and the metal-on-metal grinds down the ball joint quickly and creates play. Production ball joints are always much larger and use a single opening socket, like the one in your front controls arms\spindles.

My name is also Denis, heh. Single 'n'.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 PM

W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by justinwrock
The part that scares me about the DIY camber arms, is that there are no strength rating available for the parts used....
I wouldn't be so worried about this. If you look at the structural\assembly diagrams of the rear multilink setup, its not a particularly obvious load-bearing member. Not to mention all Domestic guys here in the states use Speedway for literally, EVERYTHING. Some people build DIY suspensions from that site, heh.

Either way, I promise to report back if something will go wrong.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jumph4x
Yes. First because I have NO ball joints. The joints of 202brabus method are single-axis, poly-urethane bushing ones. Also There is no -metal-on-metal contact. It is all absorbed by the cylindrical urethane bushing, much like the original Mercedes control arms, front and back.

This is not what I meant. I simply meant that the metal ball joint approach is used in racing, where parts dont last long and are replaced often. This approach is almost never used in production cars due to this simple reason: its noisy and the metal-on-metal grinds down the ball joint quickly and creates play. Production ball joints are always much larger and use a single opening socket, like the one in your front controls arms\spindles.

My name is also Denis, heh. Single 'n'.

We're both Denis the menace's

I don't get it why this seller uses these balljoints on readymade camber arms?
When people buy these arms they put them on their streetcars and not always track cars.
Why not then put joints fitted for regular traffic?
He should have used HQ long term joints with full rubber wrapping to avoid future issues if there is any risks of premature failure.
This way it gives him bad credit if those camber arms fails because of weak joints!!!
paying 350 dollars ain't cheap if the product is no good!
I guess it spells SUCKERS on our foreheads all of us people whom bought them camber arms with weak rose joints?
Should we all be disapointed owning MB Arts camber arms?
I hope I don't get disapointed, if yes then $350 dollars flushed in the toilet

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-08-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM

W210 DRFT BNZ
We're both Denis the menace's

I don't get it why this seller uses these balljoints on readymade camber arms?
When people buy these arms they put them on their streetcars and not always track cars.
He should have used HQ long term joints with full rubber wrapping to avoid future issues.
This way it gives him bad credit if those camber arms fails because of weak joints!!!
paying 350 dollars ain't cheap if the product is no good!
I guess it spells SUCKERS on our foreheads all of us people whom bought them camber arms with weak rose joints?
Should we be disapointed?
Perhaps its not as severe an issue as we make it out to be. I know speedbenz also uses the metal ball joint setup.

I guess let us wait and see. All I can say right now, the custom arms as per 202brabus method work really well. happy as can be. Cheap too!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
I wouldn't be so worried about this. If you look at the structural\assembly diagrams of the rear multilink setup, its not a particularly obvious load-bearing member. Not to mention all Domestic guys here in the states use Speedway for literally, EVERYTHING. Some people build DIY suspensions from that site, heh.

Either way, I promise to report back if something will go wrong.

Interesting. I have to take my C in for technical inspection for some track/open road events coming up. They like to scrutinize aftermarket parts... :/ I am going to take them the info on the DIY camber arms, and see what they say.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Perhaps its not as severe an issue as we make it out to be. I know speedbenz also uses the metal ball joint setup.

I guess let us wait and see. All I can say right now, the custom arms as per 202brabus method work really well. happy as can be. Cheap too!

97C280 on club202 forum had an issue he reported about, maybe it's not as bad as it looks to be?
http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ber-arms/page4
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 AM
ASP

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 Freightliner "daily driver"
I've had these in my e55 for about 10 months now and I still can't figure out weather I love them or hate them. The car does feel to be more planted but at the same time there are some downfalls which I can't overcome. First they squeak all the time which gets very annoying, second the car seems to float around. The alignment is to spec of what was suggested by mb-arts, the tires and wheels are new and all of the suspension components are in great condition. So my only conclusion is it can only be from the toe-arms. So they do work but for my style of driving I don't think I would buy them again.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you talking about the 202brabus solution ones?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ASP
I've had these in my e55 for about 10 months now and I still can't figure out weather I love them or hate them. The car does feel to be more planted but at the same time there are some downfalls which I can't overcome. First they squeak all the time which gets very annoying, second the car seems to float around. The alignment is to spec of what was suggested by mb-arts, the tires and wheels are new and all of the suspension components are in great condition. So my only conclusion is it can only be from the toe-arms. So they do work but for my style of driving I don't think I would buy them again.

are you using both toe link arms and camber arms from MB Arts?
did you get squeek noises after a few months of driving?
didn't roesejoints live up to their quality giving no sound?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 AM
ASP

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 Freightliner "daily driver"
are you using both toe link arms and camber arms from MB Arts?
did you get squeek noises after a few months of driving?
didn't roesejoints live up to their quality giving no sound?
I only have the toe links and the noise only started after about 6 months of driving.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM

W210 DRFT BNZ
97C280 on club202 forum had an issue he reported about, maybe it's not as bad as it looks to be?
http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...ber-arms/page4
That guy basically said nothing. We're not sure what is making noise.

Also, mine receive major abuse. My C36 is not a weekend cruiser, it is a beating mule for autocross and track. If anything, I will be the first to report failure or premature wear.

As always, in good spirit and sport, I will diligently post back and report.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W203 C55 and SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Originally Posted by nhmercracer
There is another option. This is not mine, but was originally posted by 202brabus on another forum. If there is no objection, here is the post in full:
Im building these bad boys. Just for fun too. SO CHEAP! Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

emailed the seller about my corny feeling when I overtake other cars.
My car's rear end feels like swaggering from side to side @ high speed from 150km/h n up.
I have new tires and a new 4 wheel align done.

he told me factory toe in arms flex and doesn't give any support after I had my adjustable camber arms installed.

I guess I need to get new adjustable toe in arms for X-pensive doe $$$$$?
I have a set of new MB factory toe in arms @ home but I ain't sure if these will give any stiffnes with my MB Arts adjustable camber arms?

I don't wanna spend another 350 bux on suspension parts if they don't help my car cure the sideway nasty feeling @ high speed?

what should I do?
test my new stock toe in arms or get adjustable toe in arms?