C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Extra oil and/or ATF cooling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Extra oil and/or ATF cooling

Has anybody gone down an external other than OE oil cooler for either engine or tranny? Apart from tracking, doubt if this is necessary. Anybody done temperature monitoring to get an idea of hard running temps? Just thinking...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Pretty sure that previous post is from a spam bot. Don't click the links!!!

Anyway, both the OE engine oil and ATF coolers are water cooled, so you would have the slightly added complication of needing to run longer coolant lines. They are all tied into the engine cooling system (unlike some aftermarket set ups - the water cooled intercooler on my S2000 runs a separate coolant reservoir, heat exchanger and pump).

And I think you would find that most aftermarket heat exchangers are generally just air to air, not water to air, as it were. Might need some custom fabrication there. Or perhaps you could block off the OE water ports and lines and just run a normal heat exchanger. But that's complicated for the OE engine oil, because the cooler is right there up against the oil filter housing, and there's not a lot of room in that area to run oil lines down and to the front of the car.

I've gone down this route before with my Saabs. Because all the stock stuff is generally metric, and most aftermarket stuff is in AN (and has to be AN if you want the fancy schmancy anodized aluminum fittings with braided stainless lines), then you need to adapt and get familiar with Earl's, Aeroquip, Goodridge or Russell and their product lines. For my Saabs, I went so far as to have the metric fittings cut off and AN fittings welded onto the stock oil coolers so I could run those lines. Here's a nekkid pic of my Saab with a custom front mounted intercooler (using a Saab 9000 core and custom made endtanks) and twin oil coolers (behind the aluminum mesh at the lower corners). Later I went back to a single oil cooler, and planned to use the other cooler for trans fluid, but I never got around to running that.

http://members.shaw.ca/saaboteur/spg...ow%20angle.jpg

There's probably a market for such a thing, especially an upgraded ATF cooler. I understand the C63 guys who track their cars sometimes have the cars go into limp-home mode because the ATF temps are too high.

doing up a larger ATF cooler would be relatively easy, as the OE cooler is on its own by the front right tire.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 08-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Pretty sure that previous post is from a spam bot. Don't click the links!!!

There's probably a market for such a thing, especially an upgraded ATF cooler. I understand the C63 guys who track their cars sometimes have the cars go into limp-home mode because the ATF temps are too high.

doing up a larger ATF cooler would be relatively easy, as the OE cooler is on its own by the front right tire.
Agree for the spam. I reported it to admins. Nice explanation. True, I imagine the ATF and rear diff oils are those areas which could suffer. The ATF rad up front was pretty dirty on mine when I removed the front bumber. After a bit of cleaning and a dab of anti corrosion zinc paint it is all nice and shiny again.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C 36 AMG; 1992 W124 300E (M103 Ex Mosselman TT KIT) was 320hp @10psi now stock :(
I have 2 oil temp guages in my 36 AMG, one for the engine and one for the gb. usually they run at abt the same temps to the water since they r cooled by water. on hot days they might hit 110c' but that only happens after a good flat out run uphil of at least 7 - 10 min of such driving. other wise its at abt 90c' at most. but if one can run air/air coolers for both im sure one will be able to ditch the mechanical fan. at least on my 36 amg.