ecu miscommunicating issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
ecu miscommunicating issue

I have been experiencing sluggishness with my car for a while now. Here's what my indie mech told me: the c36, c43, and e55 have recurring issues with the ecu miscommunicating with various sensors. In my case it was one of the o2 sensors. No cel, but he did pull a code for a loose o2 sensor connector. He checked it, and nothing wrong. Then he hard rebooted the ecu (not resetting with the gas pedal). He said this miscommuncation happens due to the hard acceleration and braking in these cars. He also said there's no perm fix. Just if I notice sluggishness, pull the codes and he will just reboot the **** for me for free. This semi makes sense to me bc I trust my mechanic, and also he did replace the plugs, wires, etc earlier this year, and also rebooted the ecu. After I got the car back it was an absolute beast, but then got sluggish again. Now after the second reboot, the car kicks *** once again.

Anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I have been experiencing sluggishness with my car for a while now. Here's what my indie mech told me: the c36, c43, and e55 have recurring issues with the ecu miscommunicating with various sensors. In my case it was one of the o2 sensors. No cel, but he did pull a code for a loose o2 sensor connector. He checked it, and nothing wrong. Then he hard rebooted the ecu (not resetting with the gas pedal). He said this miscommuncation happens due to the hard acceleration and braking in these cars. He also said there's no perm fix. Just if I notice sluggishness, pull the codes and he will just reboot the **** for me for free. This semi makes sense to me bc I trust my mechanic, and also he did replace the plugs, wires, etc earlier this year, and also rebooted the ecu. After I got the car back it was an absolute beast, but then got sluggish again. Now after the second reboot, the car kicks *** once again.

Anyone else heard of this?
I just did a dyno run yesterday and was getting low numbers, the dyno operator suggested we try an ECU reset by disconnecting the battery. After the reset I consistantly pulled 15+ more HP and TQ than I did before the reset.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
It seems the only real ECU reboot can only be done using the Star sytem. All the rest are placebos
Old 09-18-2011, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
It seems the only real ECU reboot can only be done using the Star sytem. All the rest are placebos
Yes, that's what my mechanic told me. He reboots mine with Star. I just am a bit dismayed that this is a recurring issue with my C43, with no permanent fix. Oh well. She has served me well for all these years, so ill cut her some slack in her old age!