C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Suspension Spring pads/shims for C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jgro1976
kowalski, so that's 1 nib pads (5mm?) with what setup? Vogtland? Euro? Bilstein SP?
I'm still on complete AMG factory euro suspension.

left my car to my mechanic guru on Monday, he'll do some tweaks with Koni yellows and Vogtland springs, also doing a test with different spring pads for correct ride height.
I hope my car doesn't sag with Vogtland springs, as it's kinda heavy with all power options fitted.
I have pads #1/#1 - #2/#2 - #5/#4 laying around, which will be tested.

I hope the 5/4 spring pad combo gives me a nice factory raked stance with 1-1½ finger gap = front lower and the rear a tad higher as I don't want any rubbing issues.

still on factory suspension, stance on original parts is 2 finger gap front/rear

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 07-10-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 C43 AMG
I'm curious why you're moving away from the euro setup as it sounds like it's supposed to be the "perfect" setup for the C43, unless you want to go lower?

I want to lower the car below the US setup, but not so low that it rubs or that I have to make changes to the camber system.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

2 finger gap is a bit much of a gape for me, gap needs to be a bit more closer to my tires top part.

euro set up is ok if you want standard factory performance.
as I like to drive more active on highways, I want a bit more stiffer suspension on my car to avoid instability in high speeds.
w202 uses the old style steering system which seems to be sensitive in high speeds
Old 07-10-2013, 03:48 PM

99 C43 AMG
Interesting, good to know. I'd definitely like to lower the car, but I don't want it bouncy or harsh over bumps, etc.

So it sounds like the Billy SP with the Vogtland springs and the tallest spring pad is the way to go.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

passing speedbumps, you need to caress them, not passing in 40 mph.
passing in 10mph and more over speedbumps will probably give you a harsh ride with any suspension.

koni rides probably harsh, depends on driver, suspension and road surface

would there be any remedy to tighten the steering shock or steering at all?
i have a new shock fitted
in high speed I feel my car is a bit lightweight on steering, I would like some more heavyiness in steering in higher speed driving

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 07-10-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM

99 C43 AMG
I always go slow over speed bumps =)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by kowalski
passing speedbumps, you need to caress them, not passing in 40 mph.
passing in 10mph and more over speedbumps will probably give you a harsh ride with any suspension.

koni rides probably harsh, depends on driver, suspension and road surface

would there be any remedy to tighten the steering shock or steering at all?
i have a new shock fitted
in high speed I feel my car is a bit lightweight on steering, I would like some more heavyiness in steering in higher speed driving
I actually found that the Konis on their softest setting were a bit softer than the Billys. Something to consider if going for comfort!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nd4spd13
I actually found that the Konis on their softest setting were a bit softer than the Billys. Something to consider if going for comfort!
do you have the mono or twintubes?
it seems difficult to find the exact settings on twintubes, adjusting knob doesn't have digits stamped onatop, do you feel every bump when adjusting the knob from soft to stiffer?

what's your set up front/rear?

for how many years did you have them?

does your car have less bodyroll and more straightline stability in high speed driving?
as i don't drive my car every day, i don't mind if it's a bit stiffer with koni's than with factory shox!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM

do you have the mono or twintubes?
it seems difficult to find the exact settings on twintubes, adjusting knob doesn't have digits stamped onatop, do you feel every bump when adjusting the knob from soft to stiffer?

what's your set up front/rear?

for how many years did you have them?

does your car have less bodyroll and more straightline stability in high speed driving?
as i don't drive my car every day, i don't mind if it's a bit stiffer with koni's than with factory shox!
I have got the twins, ext. adjustable. I don't even think there are bumps to feel. So I see what you're saying about them being tough to fine tune. I haven't had much time with them in an environment where I want to get them perfect. The car is with my parents much of the year, so I just put in on the softest front and rear and let them have it. I noticed it was softer than the billys, and they agreed. When I want to drive spirited, I turn them to about 75% stiff and go with that. I will also often leave the front on softest seeing as the one underneath the throttle sensor is such a b!tch to get to.
I put these on last July when my Billys went bust. I noticed that they were better than my billys. When on full stiff, they were waaaay stiffer than the billys, so I can only imagine it would help the body roll somewhat in the corners. And I can't really comment on high speed. I've only take me C43 up there a couple times. Once on stock susp, and twice with new susp with minumum 3 people in the car. It felt pretty planted, but the 43 has always felt airier to me than my 36. The steering I think is a major contributor to this, and I've been dealing with some occasional vibrations for some time now.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM

99 C43 AMG
Does anyone know which Koni setup is right for our cars? Do we choose for the w202 C class, or the CLK class? I'd love to pair the Koni's with either the euro springs or Vogtland with the tallest spring pad.

Best place to get the Koni's from?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Does anyone know which Koni setup is right for our cars? Do we choose for the w202 C class, or the CLK class? I'd love to pair the Koni's with either the euro springs or Vogtland with the tallest spring pad.

K-8041-1315SPORT
K-8041-1316SPORT

tirerack or shox.com might have the best deals.............
Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nd4spd13
I have got the twins, ext. adjustable. I don't even think there are bumps to feel. So I see what you're saying about them being tough to fine tune. I haven't had much time with them in an environment where I want to get them perfect. The car is with my parents much of the year, so I just put in on the softest front and rear and let them have it. I noticed it was softer than the billys, and they agreed.
what do you mean koni being softer than billy's?
are they softer on all settings compared to Billy's?
are you saying they are like soft floating waterbeds?
60's Cadillac's have a very soft suspension, their suspension leaf springs are floating back n forth like a rocking chair.

maybe koni is a bad purchase?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 07-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM

99 C43 AMG
I think he meant that on the softest setting they were softer than the billys, but on the firmest setting it was a lot firmer, at least that was my take on it.

Thanks for confirming the part numbers, I'll start shopping!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 PM

I got the ones for C-class because they say they fit the C36, which is the closest car to ours, being the same chassis, and heavier, in case any warranty problems occurred like with my Billys.

I found that ajusa.com has the lowest prices.

what do you mean koni being softer than billy's?
are they softer on all settings compared to Billy's?
are you saying they are like soft floating waterbeds?
60's Cadillac's have a very soft suspension, their suspension leaf springs are floating back n forth like a rocking chair.

maybe koni is a bad purchase?
On the softest setting, they are closer to the Cadillac than the Billys are normally. On the stiffest setting, they are way firmer. But all settings are firmer than stock, so no where near the big boat caddy's.

I think he meant that on the softest setting they were softer than the billys, but on the firmest setting it was a lot firmer, at least that was my take on it.

Thanks for confirming the part numbers, I'll start shopping!
Exactly.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 PM

99 C43 AMG
I too saw ajusa.com, bookmarked it for when I'm ready to buy.