new cheap cars are getting so fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by AMG140.6
I enjoyed my C36 when I owned it, and my good friend had a rare 2000 C43 which I had a lot of seat time with. Both good cars, but are almost antiques compared to a Genesis Coupe...let alone a SpecR.

I drop by this board once in a while just to see where the level of interest for the early AMG's are , good to see there's still a following...but sometimes I read things that make me scratch my head.

Last Spring I got a chance to drive a tuned 09 Genesis Coupe ( turbo not V6 )... and it was nothing short of spectacular....regardless of where it was made.

Hyundai will be in Formula One sooner than later...and they are going to play hardball.
The E550 is a nice ride, almost bought one prior to the 2005 CLK55. It was a 2008, had 8k on it for 31K. Much nicer car IMO than the Hyundai.

Here is one for the 20s with 30k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Antiquated? Perhaps, but in my book they are classics. I have driven the the V6 Genesis Coupe, sticker price of 35k. If you were enamored with that car I suggest you try driving the new 5.0 GT. For the same price, you get alot more for your money. The coupe was okay, but spectacular? Hardly. Especially when you factor in you are paying almost 40k for a rwd Tiburon.

I have owned nearly 50 cars, and have never owned a Hyundai. Sorry, I just don't see the appeal.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I think there are a couple ways of looking at Hyundais right now. Like Nachtsturm, I wouldn't buy one either. I don't particularly like the look of Hyundais and I would rather driver Mercedes or whatever else.

But I do think it's doing a disservice to Hyundai to deride their cars universally - they have improved quality by leaps and bounds in the past several years. While clearly there is brand loyalty to Mercedes (particularly on an AMG sub forum in a Mercedes forum!, ie the cognoscenti), there are potential buyers out there who will not have such restricted views. I think Hyundai should be given credit for their ability to capture those potential buyers' attention, broadening the appeal of their range - whether it is luxury (Genesis sedan, Equus) or sport (Genesis coupe). Regarding the latter, honestly when was the last time you could buy a sporty, small-ish RWD coupe with available turbo power? As they said at the time it was introduced, they wanted it to be the 'next Nissan S13'. It's cheap, its engine can be flogged to make a lot more power, it has and will continue to attract new buyers to the Hyundai brand. What else could a car manufacturer ask for?

For the record, I do believe that Mercedes is very likely the best car manufacturer out there, as they literally have something for everyone, from Smart to Maybach and everything in between.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
I am credit card debt free, no car payments with a mortgage to worry about in the next 7 years. No thanks AMEX. I'd rather pay cash and live below my means.

High level American Express card. Annual membership fee is $$$ but you can buy a house w/ it.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ob1kenobi
I am credit card debt free, no car payments with a mortgage to worry about in the next 7 years. No thanks AMEX. I'd rather pay cash and live below my means.

AMEX is not a credit card. The entire balance is due every month.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
The E550 is a nice ride, almost bought one prior to the 2005 CLK55. It was a 2008, had 8k on it for 31K. Much nicer car IMO than the Hyundai.

Here is one for the 20s with 30k miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Antiquated? Perhaps, but in my book they are classics. I have driven the the V6 Genesis Coupe, sticker price of 35k. If you were enamored with that car I suggest you try driving the new 5.0 GT. For the same price, you get alot more for your money. The coupe was okay, but spectacular? Hardly. Especially when you factor in you are paying almost 40k for a rwd Tiburon.

I have owned nearly 50 cars, and have never owned a Hyundai. Sorry, I just don't see the appeal.
It wasn't a stock Genesis.

The Genesis 4cyl motor is the same as the current Mitsubishi EVO...they have it made for them. Doesn't take much to turn them into Beasts.

Its a very exotic motor as far as internals .
Old 10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I think Hyundai should be given credit for their ability to capture those potential buyers' attention, broadening the appeal of their range - whether it is luxury (Genesis sedan, Equus) or sport (Genesis coupe). Regarding the latter, honestly when was the last time you could buy a sporty, small-ish RWD coupe with available turbo power? As they said at the time it was introduced, they wanted it to be the 'next Nissan S13'. It's cheap, its engine can be flogged to make a lot more power,
It wasn't a stock Genesis.

The Genesis 4cyl motor is the same as the current Mitsubishi EVO...they have it made for them. Doesn't take much to turn them into Beasts.

Its a very exotic motor as far as internals .
You do realize the Turbo 4 is pretty slow stock right? They dyno in 180's stock. And after a tune, exhaust, and intake are able to yield about 220whp. Which a stock 6 cylinder stang would beat. IF they wanted the next S13, it should not weigh as much as my CLK55.

Just a quick search, i found one that ran 14.541@94.34mph with Tune/exhaust/intake. I can challenge that with my FWD PT Cruiser. Again, they do nothing for me. You want performance, there are better options, you want luxury, again, better options out there.

Have they improved? Sure, but when you are at the bottom you have no place to go but up.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
I had a Costco American Express. 4 years ago I used it for buying high ticket items. It allowed me to pay a minimum balance and it says on the card agreement form it is a credit card.

I only have 1 credit card from a Federal Credit union that has no fees of any kind, which I use for emergency purposes only nothing else.

I've had other AMEX cards too (i.e the old school green, gold, Hilton Amex etc). I don't think it's worth to pay those yearly membership fees to keep the cards stagnant in my wallet. Plus it's too tempting to use.
Out it goes to the shredder.

I'd go the traditional way if I want to buy a house. Perhaps it's more interesting to some that my monthly mortgage is equal to some of other peoples' monthly car payments.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a certain question of aesthetics in play here.
1/ Who in the world needs to accelerate from zero to sixty in less than 5 seconds, other than with your Valentine One full on?
2/ The Korean maker may have a 100K/10 yr warranty (but read the small print, they copy their warranty on Michelin's... meaning that after 3 years if anything goes wrong and it WILL, the warranty is as good as that of Daimler-Benz, meaning toilet paper), but these new cars WILL break down and are no more reliable than a Chevy today.
3/ They look AWFUL. Personal taste of course, but I think they need a new designer as much as Nissan needs an army of them.
of course the newer generation of Mercedes do not look that great either...
4/ I have both a 2001 E55 (55K miles) and two C43 ('98 and '99) with low miles, and I simply keep loving these cars because on a fast curved freeway on-ramp or fast curves in general, the Korean machine will be thrown in the weeds before it can corner like these cars, and for me that's a lot more important.
I don't particularly like the Germans and their major attitude problems especially at DB (the Porsche guys are a bit more friendly), but for me, even CONSIDERING purchasing one of those Korean Ersatz is and will be out of the question for a very long time. I don't dress at K-mart, sorry. Not a snob statement, I don't have the cash to be one. Just a question of personal taste. With all due respect, an Andrea Bocelli will never be a Jussi Björling, and for me that is all it takes.
by the way, my 1957 220S coupe, owned for over 30 years, never failed to start on a cold morning and is today as lovely as it was when I got it. Try your 2011 Hyundai in 30 years and report.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
It depends on what type of AMEX that you have. There are many flavors, ala Blue, Plum, Green, Gold, Platinum, Black (The Centurion), etc. Some are due at the end of the month, i.e. Green, but the Blue is not. The Platinum is not, business or personal. You can pay every month like a regular credit card on those, and usually they are very low on the interest rates, no annual fees, and benefits when used at certain stores, hotels, Fed Ex shipping, other services, etc.

Back on Hyundai, nothing wrong with getting one as DD or choosing as an alternative, it's all about preference and perception. One thing we do know, Hyundai's ownership at current is cheaper than a MB. However...you get what you pay for to a certain degree.

I still prefer MB's, but Hyundai makes a strong case with what they offer at the price points, but opinions will vary.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
seems some didn't appreciate my post with MY OPINION on a hyundai and a family members personal experience. it was, and is, my opinion and thank you for sharing yours as well, I 100% feel a hyundai at $50K is an absolute waste of money. Yes, I get the 10 year warranty - tell you what - I'll race a 10 year old hyundai and see how that works for the hyundai then. I just don't see the quality and frankly never will consider one. i don't like copycat designs and while imitation is a form of flattery, it's also a clear sign you are the tail on the dog playing catch up. IMO And yes this is a Merc forum, so I'll be backing my brand of choice! Cheers!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
I no longer post here too often but its nice to see we all still share constructive conversations.

Let me ask you guys something? would you buy a BMW?

Then you will buy a hyundai. Wether you want to admit it or not. If you agree to buy a BMW but not a hyunday then IMHO you live in vain. It is true that the brand has had many "problems/issues" but lets face the fact, so has mercedes (MANY OF THEM). IMHO BMW is a POS, they have recalls every other sunday and cant get a fuel pump to work for its life.

MB is a great manufacturer in no doubt, and I wont take away from that (hell my last 2 cars were MB) but doesn't mean you have to go shooting down another manufacturer who has had the same amount if not less issues than MB.

Yes a hyundai probably wont last you 30 years, and they will break down. But I MUCH rather have to spend several hundred dollars to fix then several THOUSANDS of dollars, as we all know is the case with MB.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Originally Posted by 97W202

Then you will buy a hyundai. Wether you want to admit it or not. If you agree to buy a BMW but not a hyunday then IMHO you live in vain. It is true that the brand has had many "problems/issues" but lets face the fact, so has mercedes (MANY OF THEM). IMHO BMW is a POS, they have recalls every other sunday and cant get a fuel pump to work for its life.

MB is a great manufacturer in no doubt, and I wont take away from that (hell my last 2 cars were MB) but doesn't mean you have to go shooting down another manufacturer who has had the same amount if not less issues than MB.

Yes a hyundai probably wont last you 30 years, and they will break down. But I MUCH rather have to spend several hundred dollars to fix then several THOUSANDS of dollars, as we all know is the case with MB.

+1 >> +1....BEST COMMENT.....

ZAYED,,
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM

1999 C43 AMG
yep, I agree it's annoying I have to feel attacked talking about my opinions on a brand on Merc site - kinda strange eh? I guess I like MB and it doesn't cost much to fix my car when the need arises - and fortunately my finances allow me to make that decision. Cheers, I'm out to go buy a KIA and hop it up and smoke all MB's.....hahaha (sarcasm please)!! better yet, I'll go borrow my brothers Lambo LP 560-4 and smoke just about everything ... but I guess you get what you pay for - too bad he spent all that money to get such a pos car....
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Steve155
yep, I agree it's annoying I have to feel attacked talking about my opinions on a brand on Merc site - kinda strange eh? I guess I like MB and it doesn't cost much to fix my car when the need arises - and fortunately my finances allow me to make that decision. Cheers, I'm out to go buy a KIA and hop it up and smoke all MB's.....hahaha (sarcasm please)!! better yet, I'll go borrow my brothers Lambo LP 560-4 and smoke just about everything ... but I guess you get what you pay for - too bad he spent all that money to get such a pos car....
I think you missed the point. BTW- no one was attacking your opinions but what you stated earlier about the 2001 Hyundai's are not in representation with their quality of today. That was the point, not bashing your opinion at all.

For instance, if I compared MB's between the 99-04 period to now the rate of failures are quite different. I think it would be safe to assume that about most brands.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 97W202
I no longer post here too often but its nice to see we all still share constructive conversations.

To answer your question...Yes. I would. I have owned 2. A 2001 BMW M3, and a 1998 BMW 540iA. Both great cars, no fuel pump problems there. I assume you are talking about the early N54 Fuel pump issues, that now have a 100k warranty on them.

To compare BMW to Hyundai, is just asinine. Let me know when Hyundai gets banned from manufacturing planes, then starts to build motorcycles, then after years of perfecting their already great cars becomes the benchmark for many vehicle segments.

Ever see a massive cult following for a Hyundai Scoupe? Do you know what a Scoupe is without google?

What about an BMW E30? How many fans are there?

There is no comparison.