C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

two sets of fog lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two sets of fog lights?

im confused.

i just got my 96 c36 two days ago, and last night while driving in some crazy fog, i tried to use my fog lights.

i pulled the light knob one click, which the manual says is supposed to activate the regular fog lights. that lit up the lights inside the main headlight housing closest to the grille. they looked like high beams, but after checking the high beam flicker, i was assured that they ran on two separate filaments.

i pulled the light knob a second click, which the manual says is to activate the rear fog light. that worked correctly, but this time activated the lower foglights as well and turned off the "next to grille lights."

are there two different sets of fogs on our cars? is the first click supposed to be for "minimal fog" and the second click for "heavy fog" or something? or did i read something wrong, and is the first click something other than foglights?

sorry for asking such a trivial question, but im "in the dark" here, and im confused about how the light controls work. i would love to know how everything is supposed to be used before blinding somebody in the lane next to me or something. also, i am switching to the 97+ headlight housings soon, and i want to know exactly which bulb serves which function.

thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
grats on your ride and welcome

ya there are 2 fog lights, like you said first one pull lights up the fog lights closest to the grill, then second for the second pull lights up the ones in the bumper cover and the back rear left light. they are not going to blind anyone, they are pointed low, but they'll help you see a lot better on the road the lower ones seem to be for low wide and the ones by the grill seem to be for a little wider than low beam same hight almost.
one rear fog light like audis in usa does suck in looks wise, but it's very helpful to be seen in thick fog with it on. if you do take it out your cluster will light up that you have a light out
Old 07-06-2003, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
i like to use the first click for keeping an eye out for potholes...quite useful actually, lights up the ground pretty well...
Old 07-07-2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Eurosport
grats on your ride and welcome

ya there are 2 fog lights, like you said first one pull lights up the fog lights closest to the grill, then second for the second pull lights up the ones in the bumper cover and the back rear left light. they are not going to blind anyone, they are pointed low, but they'll help you see a lot better on the road the lower ones seem to be for low wide and the ones by the grill seem to be for a little wider than low beam same hight almost.
one rear fog light like audis in usa does suck in looks wise, but it's very helpful to be seen in thick fog with it on. if you do take it out your cluster will light up that you have a light out
thanks for clearing things up for me guys!

has anyone here installed a second rear fog on the right side? i know the audi guys have developed a way to do it, and it seems like a pretty easy job. just requires some trimming of the taillight housing and installation of a second light socket. maybe a relay or two as well, but it keeps people from stopping you to tell you "your taillight is out." at least ours is not as noticeable as the audis, since it is closer in intensity to the normal taillight.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, my wagon has the same single rear...but if u do both...it'd seem like u'r riding the brakes...even if u do have a functional 3rd light... altho i did see an audi a6 with, instead of the single sided rear fog, just the two tiny lights around the license plate light up as fogs...quite bright...and didn't really get confused with brake lights...unfortunately, there isn't such lights on the mb...
Old 07-28-2003, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Yup there are 2 fogs. I wired it so the ones in the middle went to a separate switch and ran it like daytime running lights when I wanted to.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
so, you guys can't just use the lower foglight? That sucks. I would think that lower foglight is more useful and better looking at any time.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the first one actually works pretty good if u want to c the immediate front of ur bumper...the lower one actually shines up a little...may be a bit glaring for the cars in front ...
Old 08-01-2003, 02:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
i donno if i mentioned on this board
but i turned off the rear fog light
by cutting off it's wire(green wire under back rear cover of the housing of course). instead of cutting it and insulating it again, you can also pull the wire out of it's little plug np.
by doing this and leaving the bulb in (since bulb is the only one with 2 resistors) rear fog light will never come on now and also computer won't freak out and give you a light out cluster light
regards
Old 08-01-2003, 04:02 AM

Funny, on my car the lower lights only come on together with high beam, and so it should be due to my MB guys...? (Maybe only for Europe?)
L.