C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Bilstein shock numbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43
Originally Posted by illmaticnyc
man couldnt this whole thing be easy!!?? i just want stock amg shocks for my car !

Just go to the dealership and pay your money.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by mkoons
Just go to the dealership and pay your money.
+1
Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
+1
i will if i must but this is why forums are here..to see where i can get those exact shocks without paying dealer money.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM

i will if i must but this is why forums are here..to see where i can get those exact shocks without paying dealer money.
You can't. The original shocks for the C43 are branded AMG on them. The only place to get those is the stealer. The HD's are almost identical, and for a lot less money, but in truth, they are not OEM quality so you may have problems with any warranty or replacements.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM

1999 C43 AMG
You can't. The original shocks for the C43 are branded AMG on them. The only place to get those is the stealer. The HD's are almost identical, and for a lot less money, but in truth, they are not OEM quality so you may have problems with any warranty or replacements.
isnt that weird though? why wouldnt they be oem quality if both are from bilstein. one would think that bilstein is bilstein no?

tks for sharing. the uptick in price for the AMG bilsteins is ridic!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
+1 = +1........

ZAYED,,
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM

isnt that weird though? why wouldnt they be oem quality if both are from bilstein. one would think that bilstein is bilstein no?

tks for sharing. the uptick in price for the AMG bilsteins is ridic!!!!
Technically they are, I'd imagine. That's why many people on here are running billy sports or HDs, but as you saw from my case, if anything does happen to go wrong with them, technically they are not made for the AMG versions of the W202, so Bilstein has no responsibility for them. If I were you I would just pickup a set of the HDs, just don't plan to take them off again unless you are planning to replace them
Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Technically they are, but as you saw from my case, if anything does happen to go wrong with them, technically they are not made for the AMG versions of the W202, so Bilstein has no responsibility for them. If I were you I would just pickup a set of the HDs, just don't plan to take them off again unless you are planning to replace them
Agreed & GOOD INPUT.......

ZAYED,,
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
When I get back home, I'll check the reference # for the front and rear shocks I removed before installing my KW setup.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 PM

1999 C43 AMG
Technically they are, I'd imagine. That's why many people on here are running billy sports or HDs, but as you saw from my case, if anything does happen to go wrong with them, technically they are not made for the AMG versions of the W202, so Bilstein has no responsibility for them. If I were you I would just pickup a set of the HDs, just don't plan to take them off again unless you are planning to replace them
how long did yours last? and do you think it was due to the spring travel that blew them out or the weight of the engine? id think the spring travel. weight seems irrelevent since i cant imagine it being a diff of a few hundred pounds
Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Mine as far as I know they were the originals from 99'. They are not shot and have some life left. I may install them on my c240T

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 06-06-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
I would call BS on Bilstein if they decided they weren't going to warranty the shocks because of that. The C43 is only ~132 pounds heavier than a comparably equipped C280.

However, shocks and bushings are a wear item. How long did you have them on your car? I doubt many manufacturers would warranty shocks longer than a year or two.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 AM

1999 C43 AMG
also...how much are they from the stealership by chance?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM

how long did yours last? and do you think it was due to the spring travel that blew them out or the weight of the engine? id think the spring travel. weight seems irrelevent since i cant imagine it being a diff of a few hundred pounds
I had mine on there for about 9 months, and did maybe 5000 miles. I honestly have no idea what made the bushings break. Bilstein stated that it was because AMG cars were lower and heavier, but I was using mine with Vogtland sport (lower) springs too, which is supposedly what Billy Sports are made for.

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Mine as far as I know they were the originals from 99'. They are not shot and have some life left. I may install them on my c240T
Both my stock AMG Bilsteins from my 95 and and 98 were in fine working order when I removed them. They had never been changed, and the exact same bushings that went out on me were still perfectly intact!

Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
I would call BS on Bilstein if they decided they weren't going to warranty the shocks because of that. The C43 is only ~132 pounds heavier than a comparably equipped C280.

However, shocks and bushings are a wear item. How long did you have them on your car? I doubt many manufacturers would warranty shocks longer than a year or two.
It does seem pretty short ended when there is obviously a lot more to think about. I'm trying to see if I can get anything form tire rack, then I might go back to Bilstein. I had them on the C36, which I think is a little heavier because of the cast iron block, but still, were talking maybe 200 lbs? The rears (B36-1855) are also cross listed for a bunch of cars, including the CLK55 AMG, which in their words would be a "heavier and lower car" so there are definitely some other things to be answered.

9 months, 5000 miles. Pretty disappointing.

It would also be something if the fronts were shot, because that's where the extra weight is, but that fact that 3/4 and maybe 4/4 of them broke? After 5000 miles? Come on...

also...how much are they from the stealership by chance?
Couldn't tell you. All I've ever heard is they're an arm and a leg, and I've never had the inclination to check.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 E55 AMG/1996 C36 AMG/1999 C43/55 AMG
The stock AMG Billy's from the dealer are not recommended for lowered cars anyway, so what are we left with for options? I had the Koni sports/Vogtland setup on my '99 Kompressor and I really liked them, though the back was pretty rough, so I was told. It now has me thinking. Is going the Euro spring way is the best option? Keep the stock AMG Billy's with #1's all around. One has to ask themselves, if an extra .5" drop, is worth all the trouble.

Last edited by nkctb7; 06-19-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by nkctb7
The stock AMG Billy's from the dealer are not recommended for lowered cars anyway, so what are we left with for options? I had the Koni sports/Vogtland setup on my '99 Kompressor and I really liked them, though the back was pretty rough, so I was told. It now has me thinking. Is going the Euro spring way is the best option? Keep the stock AMG Billy's with #1's all around. One has to ask themselves, if an extra .5" drop, is worth all the trouble.
For me it's not just about the drop. 50+% of the reason I upgraded the suspension was for a stiffer set up so the car didn't handle so much like the 14 year old sedan that it is. The vogtlands and billys made the car handle pretty well, as I'm sure you know after running the konis and vogtlands. Of course, if I really wanted a real performance set up I'd get the KWs or the SpeedyBenz set up, but that's at least 2k. If someone doesn't want to mess with the stuff but wants to lower, and doesn't care about performance, just cut the spring. There's barely even a point on spending the money for the euro AMGs if that's all you want to do.

I'd be interested to see if the Euro spec cars with the shorter springs have different shock numbers, which hopefully DRB can tell us when he gets back with the #s.

And also, can anyone who changed from US spec to Euro spec springs chime in if they're any stiffer, or just shorter? I was under the impression that they were only shorter, therefore giving no real performance gains except a lower CoG
Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hold tight guys, I'm soon home
I'll get the shock # posted on here on Friday. I'll also check the Euro OE springs (measurements, codings, colors painted on the spirals, etc.). I will also check on the MB EPC programme the part # for Euro shocks and N.American shocks.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM

For me it's not just about the drop. 50+% of the reason I upgraded the suspension was for a stiffer set up so the car didn't handle so much like the 14 year old sedan that it is. The vogtlands and billys made the car handle pretty well, as I'm sure you know after running the konis and vogtlands. Of course, if I really wanted a real performance set up I'd get the KWs or the SpeedyBenz set up, but that's at least 2k. If someone doesn't want to mess with the stuff but wants to lower, and doesn't care about performance, just cut the spring. There's barely even a point on spending the money for the euro AMGs if that's all you want to do.

I'd be interested to see if the Euro spec cars with the shorter springs have different shock numbers, which hopefully DRB can tell us when he gets back with the #s.

And also, can anyone who changed from US spec to Euro spec springs chime in if they're any stiffer, or just shorter? I was under the impression that they were only shorter, therefore giving no real performance gains except a lower CoG
I completely understand your points as I am also interested in the handling and performance aspects of lowering as well. My rear struts need replacing soon as the driver's rear is now sagging a bit. I loved my Vogtland/Koni setup on my Kompressor before I sold it. However, I did not like the fact that the front had dropped to just shy of 3". I was also running #1 pads all around based on recommendations from other members. Not at all suitable for everyday driving. I am now a firm believer that every car WILL sit differently after lowering.

I find it interesting that Vogtland Germany does not offer springs for C43's. Yet, in North America, the Vogtland #952079 is not suitable for C43's, according to Vogtland Germany. I called them and this was confirmed to me. They did not have an explanation as to why.

All that I am looking to do is achieve a 1.5" drop, improve handling, performance and looks without any rubbing or scraping whatsoever.

I thought about going the H&R route but I do not want to run into sagging issues over time and Eibachs, from what I've read, are far too stiff/rough.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Hold tight guys, I'm soon home
I'll get the shock # posted on here on Friday. I'll also check the Euro OE springs (measurements, codings, colors painted on the spirals, etc.). I will also check on the MB EPC programme the part # for Euro shocks and N.American shocks.
Sounds great. I will anxiously await your posted findings. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM

I completely understand your points as I am also interested in the handling and performance aspects of lowering as well. My rear struts need replacing soon as the driver's rear is now sagging a bit. I loved my Vogtland/Koni setup on my Kompressor before I sold it. However, I did not like the fact that the front had dropped to just shy of 3". I was also running #1 pads all around based on recommendations from other members. Not at all suitable for everyday driving. I am now a firm believer that every car WILL sit differently after lowering.

I find it interesting that Vogtland Germany does not offer springs for C43's. Yet, in North America, the Vogtland #952079 is not suitable for C43's, according to Vogtland Germany. I called them and this was confirmed to me. They did not have an explanation as to why.

All that I am looking to do is achieve a 1.5" drop, improve handling, performance and looks without any rubbing or scraping whatsoever.

I thought about going the H&R route but I do not want to run into sagging issues over time and Eibachs, from what I've read, are far too stiff/rough.

Cheers
I definitely agree that every car will sit differently. As for the pads I'd definitely try something a little thicker to get it where you want. The #1 pads in W210 form are really skinny.

That's really interesting about the Vogtlands. I wonder if Vogtland Germany approves them for the C36. I guess if I run my vogtlands and billy sports on my 43, I will really be sticking it to the man, huh?

I don't get any of it though. That both Vogtland and Bilstien make parts for the C280 that are cross referenced to the AMG versions, but not in other places. There's about a 132lb difference between a 99 C280 and 43, and about 200lb between a 95 C280 and a 36, so if vogtland does approve the #952079 spring for 36s, then I am completely lost...

I had no rubbing with my vogtland billy setup with #3 W201 pads. Do you know what pads your 43 has now?

Also, on a note of my own, talked to Tire Rack again today and I'm sending them my shocks so they can examine later this week.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM

More!

So I think I'll be talking to Bilstein again after I'm all sorted at Tirerack.

To continue the weight difference numbers from my previous post, there is a 235lb difference between the saloon (sedan) and estate (wagon) version of the 1999 C280. Bilstein's own online parts catalogue lists the 18548 and 18555 B8 shocks for both the sedan and wagon, but they told me in my warranty claim that they were not made for the C43 because it is heavier and lower. The C280 wagon weighs 103lbs more than the C43 sedan if my numbers are correct, so this now makes no sense on bilsteins part.

And to counter the "lower" attribute of the AMG cars, straight from Bilstein.de's products page for the B8 shock:

"The product benefits at a glance:

Shortened high-performance shock absorbers for
virtually every lowering spring set and series production sport vehicles
Sports settings with high level of comfort
Marked improvement in safety and performance
with additional spring changes (lowering)"

They were made for aftermarket lowering springs!! WTF Bilstein...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:59 PM

So I think I'll be talking to Bilstein again after I'm all sorted at Tirerack.

To continue the weight difference numbers from my previous post, there is a 235lb difference between the saloon (sedan) and estate (wagon) version of the 1999 C280. Bilstein's own online parts catalogue lists the 18548 and 18555 B8 shocks for both the sedan and wagon, but they told me in my warranty claim that they were not made for the C43 because it is heavier and lower. The C280 wagon weighs 103lbs more than the C43 sedan if my numbers are correct, so this now makes no sense on bilsteins part.

And to counter the "lower" attribute of the AMG cars, straight from Bilstein.de's products page for the B8 shock:

"The product benefits at a glance:

Shortened high-performance shock absorbers for
virtually every lowering spring set and series production sport vehicles
Sports settings with high level of comfort
Marked improvement in safety and performance
with additional spring changes (lowering)"

They were made for aftermarket lowering springs!! WTF Bilstein...
It is terrible that in todays world, the customer service, loyalty and the need to keep customers, is completely absent. If I were you, I would bypass the little people and go straight to the top of corporate. Whether it is Tirerack or Bilstein, someone should be held accountable. I would be interested in hearing their reaction if you were to mention that as a long time loyal fan/endorser of Bilstein, you are left with no alternative but to switch to Koni. For present, and all future needs.

Good Luck
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 AM

My C43 has #2 pads all around and I intend to run #4 all around after lowering.

Vogtland North America replied to my question in regards to the accuracy of their claimed drop of the C43. I nearly **** as I read the email. They stated that all estimated/listed drop figures are given to them by Vogtland Germany. I replied, asking them how they could send info. pertaining to a C43 as they claimed the Vogtland #952079, were not the correct springs for a C43? WTF?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 AM

My C43 has #2 pads all around and I intend to run #4 all around after lowering.

Vogtland North America replied to my question in regards to the accuracy of their claimed drop of the C43. I nearly **** as I read the email. They stated that all estimated/listed drop figures are given to them by Vogtland Germany. I replied, asking them how they could send info. pertaining to a C43 as they claimed the Vogtland #952079, were not the correct springs for a C43? WTF?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM

Also to make it clear for anyone shopping in the future, in Koni's official catalogue from their website, they apparently do make shocks that fit the C36, but do not list the C43.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shock numbers