C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Question about Tranny service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36
Question about Tranny service

Hey everybody, just got a 97 Imperial Red C36 with 127K on the clock. One of the deciding factors for buying this car was that the 1st owner of the car had the transmission serviced at 48K at the stealership. This was big to me because I believe most problems associated with the 5 speed tranny in this car were mostly due to the fact that nobody changed their tranny fluids since the manual said it was "lifetime" fluid that wouldn't need to be changed (we all know how rediculous that statement is now - all fluids need to be changed in any machine!). Therefore, as a preventative measure I want to service the transmission again.

Would you guys just recommend new ATF, filter and gasket? Or would you flush the system as well and then put new ATF, filter and gasket in?

Also, which ATF and filter would you guys recommend?

Im even going to change the rear diff fluid out and run a bottle of chevron techron through the gas just for more preventative measures.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by jkstray
Hey everybody, just got a 97 Imperial Red C36 with 127K on the clock. One of the deciding factors for buying this car was that the 1st owner of the car had the transmission serviced at 48K at the stealership. This was big to me because I believe most problems associated with the 5 speed tranny in this car were mostly due to the fact that nobody changed their tranny fluids since the manual said it was "lifetime" fluid that wouldn't need to be changed (we all know how rediculous that statement is now - all fluids need to be changed in any machine!). Therefore, as a preventative measure I want to service the transmission again.

Would you guys just recommend new ATF, filter and gasket? Or would you flush the system as well and then put new ATF, filter and gasket in?

Im even going to change the rear diff fluid out and run a bottle of chevron techron through the gas just for more preventative measures.

Thanks!
Typically when I purchase a used vehicle I change all the major fluids...

Only use Mercedes approved fluids...especially in the transmission.

Definitely trans on the C36 with filter....flush not really that necessary as any junk is typically in the filter or the pan.

Also oil with filter....flush cooling system and new antifreeze...and what many forget is the brake fluid..it's hygroscopic.
Air filter if needed...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM

1997 C36
Thanks for your quick reply. The Oil was changed and coolant system flushed right after I got the car. Will probably reset the transmission after the fluid and filter are changed as well so it learns my driving pattern.

Also, If i change out the Air filter, would you go with OEM or an aftermarket one such as K&N?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Thanks for your quick reply. The Oil was changed and coolant system flushed right after I got the car. Will probably reset the transmission after the fluid and filter are changed as well so it learns my driving pattern.

Also, If i change out the Air filter, would you go with OEM or an aftermarket one such as K&N?

Thanks!
each to his one on the k&N, it seems to add some nice growl sound if it's installed properly it won't damage the engine. for the tranny trans with filter, but without flush not needed.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG

Thanks!
When I got my C43 I had a flush done just to be sure. It's definitely good to know the fluid has been changed on yours, but it's been quite a few miles since. I would have a flush done just for piece of mind, as it can't hurt. Also if you take it to the right place they'll know exactly what it needs. Let me know if you want any suggestions on places to service and congrats on the ride!!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM

1997 C36
Chris - Clear your Private Message Inbox so I can reply to your previous message!! Let me know when you do - Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Chris - Clear your Private Message Inbox so I can reply to your previous message!! Let me know when you do - Thanks.
Space cleared! Sorry about that