C43 Autox vids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
C43 Autox vids

Hey guys,
since i got the car about 6-7 weeks ago i have been hitting up every autocross in my region, though this last weekend is probably the last one for the season. Posted the vids on my youtube page, i personally like the in-car ones the best since you can hear the exhaust so much better.

here is a link to a couple, but just look into my other vids on Youtibe to see others

http://youtu.be/TJWZA_WnOp4

http://youtu.be/V6YYpRYrVl4

Vids taken with a GoPro Hero HD
Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 AMG
Thanks for sharing the vids! It does sound really good from the inside.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice videos!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
she sounds nice! good driving
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Great vids and nice driving!
What did you use to mount the go-pro? Is it attached to the shelf or suctioned to the back window?
Also what suspension setup are you running?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Originally Posted by nd4spd13
What did you use to mount the go-pro? Is it attached to the shelf or suctioned to the back window?
he is stock I believe, take a look at the other video's on his youtube account.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by w202mylove
he is stock I believe, take a look at the other video's on his youtube account.
Thanks. Good to hear that with so much roll in the videos. Sad I never got to take mine to the track before I had to go back to school to test out the new susp. These videos made me miss her.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM

mounted the go pro with suction to the rear winshield.

suspension: only mod is euro springs. still lots of body roll but car doesn't handle too bad, im looking at upgrading to bilstein sports possibly next summerv it will make a huge difference, then the tires will def be the weak spot.

cooper Zeon rs3-S tires are nice but for autox they still are not quite enough grip, might look at something in the 140 treadwear range when these are wear out. when you see the cars running with slicks or 140 treadwear tires at the events it makes me envious
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dziner82
mounted the go pro with suction to the rear winshield.

suspension: only mod is euro springs. still lots of body roll but car doesn't handle too bad, im looking at upgrading to bilstein sports possibly next summerv it will make a huge difference, then the tires will def be the weak spot.

cooper Zeon rs3-S tires are nice but for autox they still are not quite enough grip, might look at something in the 140 treadwear range when these are wear out. when you see the cars running with slicks or 140 treadwear tires at the events it makes me envious
Cool. I definitely can't recommend doing Konis vs Billys enough. Especially for someone like you that actually tracks your car and daily drives it, the adjustability is fantastic, and they kick the bilsteins *** in terms of performance when they're set right.

I had some Yoko AD08s that did me well when I autoXd my C36. I think that's about the right spot for me in terms of how aggressive a tire to buy and to also daily drive on. They are a 180 tire. The Toyo R888s also are a good bet, but I'd be pretty spooked driving with those in the wet. The AD08s were bad enough.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Cool. I definitely can't recommend doing Konis vs Billys enough. Especially for someone like you that actually tracks your car and daily drives it, the adjustability is fantastic, and they kick the bilsteins *** in terms of performance when they're set right.

I had some Yoko AD08s that did me well when I autoXd my C36. I think that's about the right spot for me in terms of how aggressive a tire to buy and to also daily drive on. They are a 180 tire. The Toyo R888s also are a good bet, but I'd be pretty spooked driving with those in the wet. The AD08s were bad enough.
your probably right, do you know what the part #'s are for the Koni's? i have searched a bit and seems like they are hard to find (as are most parts for the C43). But i would like the adjustability to go firm at the track then softer for DD.

I love Yoko's, has some on my previous car, but they are so pricey i was looking at the hankooks or possibly dunlop, from a price vs performance standpoint. In Tire Rack's last test of the bunch i think the yokos performed best but were $3-$400 more per set. Hankooks seemed to be the best value.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 PM

hey guys,
added 3 new autox videos since the last post, here is a link to one of them, but just click through to see my other uploads to my YT profile for the other 2.

http://youtu.be/7agwcGkj_EY
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Who's the "dead weight" in the passenger seat? Didn't know that passengers were allowed on track during competition. I think some work on holding and turning the wheel will pay back with better times. Oh, and as you mentioned in the video caption you didn't spin... A nice spin from time to time is necessary to remind you that you are certainly trying to reach the limits
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Who's the "dead weight" in the passenger seat? Didn't know that passengers were allowed on track during competition. I think some work on holding and turning the wheel will pay back with better times. Oh, and as you mentioned in the video caption you didn't spin... A nice spin from time to time is necessary to remind you that you are certainly trying to reach the limits

funny that you mention that, in the 2 other runs of the day i had a spin that took me into the grass and another one where i slid sideways for about 30 feet taking out about 5 cones! so this event i definitely pushed it more than i usually do. but its also decieving because it was only about 35 degrees (Fahrenheit), or about 2 degrees Celsius, so every run was on cold tires.
And i agree, i like the cockpit view because watching it i could tell that my hand/wheel technique isnt good, so thats a big area of potential improvement for me going into next season, this is my first season autocrossing.

i probably should go on youtube and look for good tutorials on how to hold and turn the wheel. forward me some links if you know a good place.

passenger was a friend of mine, we were riding with each other on a couple of our runs to get a better feel for the course. doing a walk-thru is one thing, a ride along is much more helpful.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM

2 new vids from my first event of this season... MAAANN that was a long winter, so happy to be back driving again!

got tire pressures figured out and much smoother driving than last year, just ordered Bilstein Sport shocks to hopefully reduce some body roll and get times lower.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM

06 E350 4MATIC, 00 E55, & 01 M3
nice. What tires (and sizes) are you running and what type of pressures or you using? Is the suspension stock?

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mdw benz
nice. What tires (and sizes) are you running and what type of pressures or you using? Is the suspension stock?

Thanks,
Tires are Cooper RS-3 S:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

I found they are comparable if not slightly better performance than its competitors for about $20-30 less per tire. (based on test reports from a few different sources).

im running the 255/35/18 in the rear (9.5" wheel) and 225/40/18 in the front (8" wheel). after some research i have found that 245/35 in the front and 285/30 (i think) in the rear also would work, though be a few mm lesser diameter and a bit more expensive.
Im noticing the front tires are just a bit too narrow for the weight of the car on stock suspension, but they are street tires. if i went to 180 treadwear comp tires i dont think the fronts would be struggling as bad.

I have gotten the best performance running the fronts at about 37.5 psi, and the rears at 36.5. that has gets me at the correct spot for wear on the shoulder of the tires.

right now im stock suspension, but im running the euro spec springs, i also just ordered the bilstein sport shocks, should have them installed next week. the car should perform much better then.

the right tire pressure makes a huge difference though, the car will understeer badly in tight corners if the front tire pressure it too low, and oversteer badly if the rears are too high, the factory spec air pressures are exactly opposite of what works best for autocross.
BUT, even with my mega body roll i still am able to post lower times than a few (not all) STI's and VW GTI's that have a much tighter suspension, but they may just have worse drivers...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Tires are Cooper RS-3 S:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

I found they are comparable if not slightly better performance than its competitors for about $20-30 less per tire. (based on test reports from a few different sources).

im running the 255/35/18 in the rear (9.5" wheel) and 225/40/18 in the front (8" wheel). after some research i have found that 245/35 in the front and 285/30 (i think) in the rear also would work, though be a few mm lesser diameter and a bit more expensive.
Im noticing the front tires are just a bit too narrow for the weight of the car on stock suspension, but they are street tires. if i went to 180 treadwear comp tires i dont think the fronts would be struggling as bad.

I have gotten the best performance running the fronts at about 37.5 psi, and the rears at 36.5. that has gets me at the correct spot for wear on the shoulder of the tires.

right now im stock suspension, but im running the euro spec springs, i also just ordered the bilstein sport shocks, should have them installed next week. the car should perform much better then.

the right tire pressure makes a huge difference though, the car will understeer badly in tight corners if the front tire pressure it too low, and oversteer badly if the rears are too high, the factory spec air pressures are exactly opposite of what works best for autocross.
BUT, even with my mega body roll i still am able to post lower times than a few (not all) STI's and VW GTI's that have a much tighter suspension, but they may just have worse drivers...
I see you decided to go the Bilstein route. Make sure to check those lower bushings after every event you do. And pray that you don't have to take off the shocks for anything after running them for a while. I'm interested to see how they hold up in a competition environment.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 PM

I see you decided to go the Bilstein route. Make sure to check those lower bushings after every event you do. And pray that you don't have to take off the shocks for anything after running them for a while. I'm interested to see how they hold up in a competition environment.
yea i decided to go the bilstein route, almost pulled the trigger ont he Koni adjustables, but decided that i wanted the adjustability mostly to go softer when not racing. then i realized that i use the car 90% of the time for autocross so i really dont care about when im not racing... so it didnt justify the extra $180 or so.

the bilstein bushing issue seems really random considering it seems that so many people on here and elsewhere are using their shocks without incident. if it were an issue i would almost be more concerned about daily driving it and hitting potholes causing failure vs the relatively smooth conditions i mostly drive it in.

also not concerned about removing the shocks, i already have the springs i want and dont intend to do any more suspension mods after this. IMO anything else that would happen at this point would be chance and i cant worry about that.

trying not to worry about it much though as it seems every aftermarket part on these boards seems to have 1-2 people claiming that the part will damage the car, hurt performance, etc.

Last edited by Dziner82; 05-07-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM

yea i decided to go the bilstein route, almost pulled the trigger ont he Koni adjustables, but decided that i wanted the adjustability mostly to go softer when not racing. then i realized that i use the car 90% of the time for autocross so i really dont care about when im not racing... so it didnt justify the extra $180 or so.

the bilstein bushing issue seems really random considering it seems that so many people on here and elsewhere are using their shocks without incident. if it were an issue i would almost be more concerned about daily driving it and hitting potholes causing failure vs the relatively smooth conditions i mostly drive it in.

also not concerned about removing the shocks, i already have the springs i want and dont intend to do any more suspension mods after this. IMO anything else that would happen at this point would be chance and i cant worry about that.

trying not to worry about it much though as it seems every aftermarket part on these boards seems to have 1-2 people claiming that the part will damage the car, hurt performance, etc.
I would say that the Konis do provide a sportier, stiffer ride when on their harder settings. Did you consider the Adjustable version as opposed to the more expensive externally adjustable ones?

I definitely get where you're coming from. I try to not be that person acting like a broken record about how my Bilsteins failed, but I'm sure I end up sounding like that sometimes.
I was just quite shocked at how little time it took for 3 out of my 4 shocks to fail. And want to warn other members that yes, many people have them on their cars, and yes just about everybody is happy with them, but if you ever have to undo that lower mounting bolt, you may not be able to reinstall the shock, and Bilstein will not accept them back as they are not "made" for our cars.

I'm really interested to see how yours turn out, especially in a mixed dd/comp environment. If you ever end up doing suspension work and have to take of the shock, I'd really like to know if they held up for you or not. Maybe mine were just a bad batch or something after all.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM

i really only considered the bilstein sports vs the koni externally adjustable.

I guess i blame it on Koni's website but i never fully understood how easy or hard it was to adjust the ones that you have to turn the housing on the shock, so i just dismissed them.

you said your problem was with the rubber bushings in the ends of the shocks right? not the actual shock?

Im just assuming that the billy sports will still be a big improvement over running the US shocks with the euro springs, just the fact that they will have less travel will really help and the bound/rebound rate being stiffer than stock will help me alot as well. I gotta just play the odds on the shocks not being defective.

I dont DD the car, only maybe 20 miles of driving a week at most, really the majority of the driving is going to the autocross events on the weekends. also store it in the winter. the plan is to not do any more mods other than maintenance after this, tires, brake pads, oil, etc.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM

New vid form this past weekend, taken from the sidelines of the course so a bit of a different perspective. was really cold and really windy so lots of wind noise in the vid

will have a couple new cockpit vids from the past weekend soon. this event is still with the stock shocks, new bilstein sports are being installed today/tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Hi Dziner82
Things are starting to look much better You asked for tips for holding the wheel. A quick search found this: http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/steering.htm
Looks like some good stuff in there too so worth reading when you have time.

A personal tip from my track driving experience which I also use in everyday driving too. Starting from the standard quarter to three hand position on the wheel, the hand which turns in the direction of the corner pushes the wheel and NOT the opposite. This way you can always feel what is happening through the wheel and you can make corrections accordingly.

For example, if you are turning right your left hand will be pushing the wheel to the right. If you are going left, your right hand will push the wheel to the left.

It is amazing to see how people drive, holding the wheel totally wrong and using their hands in all positions I imagine a lot of accidents could be avoided if drivers used the right hand positions and turning techniques

Oh I forgot, some excellent tips here on the UK PistonHeads forum. Enjoy! http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=109

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 05-13-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added another link
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM

thanks for the link,
i looked over it real quick, will dig into it more later.

my biggest problem areas are the slaloms, i will be posting a new video with a great camera angle for seeing the track and my hand movements.

my hairpin hand placement probably isn't ideal either but i don't actively notice it 'getting in the way' like i do in the slaloms.

i feel like the C43 steering has much more rotations in the wheel from full left to full right lock.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM

not my fastest run of the day but i think i like this camera angle the best, can see the course and the wheel/hands well.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i feel like the C43 steering has much more rotations in the wheel from full left to full right lock.
The C43 steering box is really "old school". Nothing you can do about it unfortunately, but you need to learn and live with it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 Autox vids