C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Im having some issues after KMAC/ vogtland install....traction etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
When doing an alignment, we would put the steering wheel dead ahead and then use a spring loaded spreader that would go from the seat bottom cushion and push on the bottom of the rim of the steering wheel, to try to keep it in place. Then you would adjust the tie rod ends to bring the steering into spec. However, someone who isn't doing it right may ignore the steering wheel and just move the front wheels outside of the vehicle until one side is in spec and then just adjust the other side until it is in spec. Thus the overall toe is in spec, but the steering wheel isn't straight. That is the lazy, lets see if I can get this one hour job done in under 30 minutes, and incorrect approach, but I've seen it done.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43
I need to make a decision this weekend about installing vogtlands or going with Euro springs.
Since you have vogtlands what is your wheel gap? I don't want the slammed look, you ask about pads, most recommendations are #5 front, #4 back. But I don't want the back sitting on the ground, maybe do #3 front, #5 back. What did you decide to go with? Appreciate any comments.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by mkoons
I need to make a decision this weekend about installing vogtlands or going with Euro springs.
Since you have vogtlands what is your wheel gap? I don't want the slammed look, you ask about pads, most recommendations are #5 front, #4 back. But I don't want the back sitting on the ground, maybe do #3 front, #5 back. What did you decide to go with? Appreciate any comments.
Vogtlands are LOW, even with the #4 and #5 pads I have less than 2 finger gap in front and back. It sounds like you should go with the Euro springs
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 c43 amg
Hi--
I had the 35mm vogtlands from ebay, along with #5 in front and #4 in back. the rake and all looked quite nice but for me the car was just way too low---I had maybe a half finger gap all around, my tires didnt rub once i dialed it but i scraped just getting out of my garage abd it sucked. Id try the euro springs personally.
Finally I had a true race shop dissasemble, cut partial coils of the stock springs (cant remember like .75 in back and 1.5 in front?) just a bit, then kept the #5's in front and #4 in back and its FLIPPEN PERFECT!!! smooth no scrape 1.5 finger gaps all around, nice stance, excellent real world driver car. euro's would likely do the same
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by mkoons
If you want stiffer springs and better handling, go Vogtland, mess around with spring pads and avoid big driveways and speed bumps if you go low. I have #1s in the front, and I do not rub unless there are 5 people in the car.

If you want your car to sit lower and look nice, get the euros.