C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Fitted after market air filter, now running on only 5 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C36 AMG
Fitted after market air filter, now running on only 5 cylinders?

Hi guys, I fitted a cone filter just to see what the sound was like, then put it back to factory, I have herd in the past that they affect the air mass sensor, but i changed it for my spare, the car seems to be running on 5 cylinders now, any ideas what this could be, I dont think the air mass sensor would make a car run on 5 cylinders would it?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Your symptom is rather vague, but I'll take a stab and guess that by, "...running on 5 cylinders" you mean the car is just sluggish and down on overall power/driveability?

I'm by no means a mechanical genius, but the only way a cone filter (or any air filter, for that matter) affects your MAS is by allowing a greater volume of air (which is the very reason to run a cone or aftermarket filter) to be measured.

It seems like you have added some parameters to the mix. What do you mean when you say, "I changed it for my spare"? You'll have to be more specific.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM

C36 AMG
Sorry, I posted when was at work was limited for time.

Well it had a new BOSH air sensor on it, I then fitted a cone filter, gave it a few revs, sounded good.

Then took the cone filter off and went back to factory layout, (airbox)

The next morning I started the car and it ran lumpy, slight missfire.

I thought I must of damaged my air flow sensor after reading previous posts on here, so I fitted a spare one I had from my last C36, from what I remember it was working correctly.

I also cleaned my spare before I put it on with brake and clutch cleaner.

It did seem to run a bit better, the revs did not drop so much, but it seems its not running on all 6 cylinders.

Like its only running on 5.

I cleaned my original sensor put it back on and no change.

So I'm back to my spare, When I unplug the air sensor it still runs lumpy so I am thinking it something else.

Was running perfect before I fitted the cone filter. Wish I never bothered now.

First thoughts are coils, I am plugging it in tomorrow to see if any codes come up.

Last edited by kirkie; 11-19-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
reset the ecu, unplug battery for 20 minuts.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM

1998 C43 AMG
Thanks for posting.

Lot's of variables here (changing MAS's, installing cone filter, etc.). I'd agree with w202love, reset your ECU to start. If it works I'd say you changed parameters within the ECU the moment you attached the cone filter. However, you switched back to your stock airbox while the ECU was still in 'learning mode', which threw things off.

BTW, I know it's common to clean MAS's and MAF's with brake cleaner (c'mon, we've all done it), but I read a thread somewhere from a knowledgeable person who made a great argument for using MAF sensor cleaner.

Reset that ECU and report back what happens.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM

C36 AMG
Sorted Turned out to be 1 dodgy ignition coil, so I replaced the plugs and coils, she now runs like a dream. Happy again now.

When I plugged it into my friends laptop, it came up with fault codes 107 Dwell angle cont at stop of ignition

The ecu was advancing the timing to much.

and 090 Camshaft timing acuator Y49??

She runs sweet now, thanks for your input guys, so glad to have this forum to aid fellow Mercedes owners

Last edited by kirkie; 11-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM

1998 C43 AMG
Isn't it funny how things like this work out? Totally unrelated to your cone filter install, yet happens at the exact same time! A good mechanic friend of mine says stuff like this happens all the time...Completely unrelated to what you originally did, but makes you think it was somehow connected.

So, the big questions is, "are you gonna try running that cone filter again?"???
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM

C36 AMG
Originally Posted by JohnnyRock
Isn't it funny how things like this work out? Totally unrelated to your cone filter install, yet happens at the exact same time! A good mechanic friend of mine says stuff like this happens all the time...Completely unrelated to what you originally did, but makes you think it was somehow connected.

So, the big questions is, "are you gonna try running that cone filter again?"???
Yes it is, totally strange..

Haha... not sure now, maby I sould leave it standard, maby drill the box, but not sure....