C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43, Car wont start, Wont recognize key, Key wont open Doors?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43 Amg
C43, Car wont start, Wont recognize key, Key wont open Doors?????

Several days ago my car started acting funny on me. I got to work got out of the car and couldn't lock the doors. I said thats odd. So I went back into the car and put the key back into the ignition, then took the key out and the doors locked. After work I went back into the car to start it. When I inserted the key the car would't unlock the ignition so I can engage the key to position 3. It took me several times and then it started. Couple hours later the car was fine it was working fine. I went home then the next morning when I went to start the car it wouldn't start. I tried moving the steering wheel and the brake no go. I even changed the batteries in the key it still wouldn't work. The key wont even unlock or lock my doors. I had the battery changed recently too. I checked all fuses in the trunk and under the hood they were all fine. I read online people say it could be the key or the Eis system going bad???? Theres also an Bes pump that controls the locks on the doors. I called Mb and they told me a new key is $170 bucks and the Eis system is $580. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before?????????? THIS IS A GOOD CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM MY CAR.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by vlad957
Several days ago my car started acting funny on me. I got to work got out of the car and couldn't lock the doors. I said thats odd. So I went back into the car and put the key back into the ignition, then took the key out and the doors locked. After work I went back into the car to start it. When I inserted the key the car would't unlock the ignition so I can engage the key to position 3. It took me several times and then it started. Couple hours later the car was fine it was working fine. I went home then the next morning when I went to start the car it wouldn't start. I tried moving the steering wheel and the brake no go. I even changed the batteries in the key it still wouldn't work. The key wont even unlock or lock my doors. I had the battery changed recently too. I checked all fuses in the trunk and under the hood they were all fine. I read online people say it could be the key or the Eis system going bad???? Theres also an Bes pump that controls the locks on the doors. I called Mb and they told me a new key is $170 bucks and the Eis system is $580. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before?????????? THIS IS A GOOD CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM MY CAR.
It's either the key or something to do with the ignition, or key recognition or whatever the EIS is (haven't heard of it myself.) The ignition uses IR with the key, and the key does not even need to have a battery in it for the ignition to recognize it and to start the car. I'd take it somewhere good and get it sorted out.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM

It's the key, I had the same issue with my 00 c230 and after going through the fuses, changing the battery in the key, checking the EIS I just tried my backup key and it started without any issue. The fob is over 10 yrs old so it has some miles on it.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
this happened to me a couple of days ago, turned out to be a loose connection on the battery. i just tightened it up, problem never came back.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
vlad, sounds like you have a problem with your key. If it's the oem key that would be a safe bet. nd4spd is correct, the remote key does not even have a battery in it to start the car. Do you have a valet key? The thin, black plastic key? If that works for doors/ignition, it's a good bet it's your main remote key.

BTW, your price of $170 for a new key from the dealer is great. I paid a little over $200 just a couple months ago. Should take 1-2 days to get the key after ordering.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM

1999 C43 AMG
most likely the key is the issue. if you have a spare remote try that first. if it works then its definitely the key. if not then it could be the EIS (electronic ignition switch) had another w202 in my shop a few months ago for an eis and the part was back ordered from germany and took 6 months to get in. and I work for the dealer. hopefully they restocked. but the will not go bad with age or time contrary to what people think, if there's been no outside interference like water etc. the key remote will actually go bad after its programmed number of allowed starts. its like 150,000 times. something crazy like that. so if its the original remote from 98 and up then the chances are the key is dead.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 222 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by 99C43n843
most likely the key is the issue. if you have a spare remote try that first. if it works then its definitely the key. if not then it could be the EIS (electronic ignition switch) had another w202 in my shop a few months ago for an eis and the part was back ordered from germany and took 6 months to get in. and I work for the dealer. hopefully they restocked. but the will not go bad with age or time contrary to what people think, if there's been no outside interference like water etc. the key remote will actually go bad after its programmed number of allowed starts. its like 150,000 times. something crazy like that. so if its the original remote from 98 and up then the chances are the key is dead.
Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Interesting detail about the 150'000 programmed number of allowed starts. Never thought that kind of fact would make your key "self destruct" or commit suicide, but I guess keys also have a life and must die one day
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by vlad957
Just experienced this exact same scenario. Went out to my car in the morning and unlocked the door and started the car with no issues. Drove to my destination about 15 minutes away, got out of my car and couldn't lock the doors. I thought it was odd but left. I came back about 3 hours later and still couldn't get the doors to lock or unlock using the key fob. I tried to start the car but couldn't get the key to turn. Thinking it was the batteries I walked to a store close by and bought new batteries, still couldn't get the doors to lock/unlock or the key to turn in the ignition. I sat there for about 10 minutes turning the key back and forth until finally it turned and started the car.

I don't want to drop $250 on a new key to find out it isn't the problem, how can I determine if the key is the culprit?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
There is no way to tell if it is the key or the eis. First step in diagnosis of these complaints is to try a second known-good key.

This is the reason why every car I buy, I buy a new key right away, it usually alleviates these problems all together.

By the way, the batteries are only for locking and unlocking. They will not affect the EIS operation and starting of the car. You could remove the batteries and the car will still start just fine.

When we get a car in shop like this, first step is to get their second key. If they don't have one, they need to buy one. Anything else is just a waste of time and money.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Carlos (12-29-2019)
Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzslo
There is no way to tell if it is the key or the eis. First step in diagnosis of these complaints is to try a second known-good key.

This is the reason why every car I buy, I buy a new key right away, it usually alleviates these problems all together.

By the way, the batteries are only for locking and unlocking. They will not affect the EIS operation and starting of the car. You could remove the batteries and the car will still start just fine.

When we get a car in shop like this, first step is to get their second key. If they don't have one, they need to buy one. Anything else is just a waste of time and money.
I only have 1 key unfortunately, sounds like I need to buy another one regardless
Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
99.999999999% chance it's just the key.

My key was doing things just like this the day before it died forever. It did things similar to this when my 2nd key died as well. Only fix is a new key at dealer.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45

Last edited by mb techman; 09-23-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just pre paid for my new key. I went to the new dealership down the street from me and I got LUCKY. The guy behind the parts counter was an old friends younger bother, he hooked me up with a nice little discount and wound up paying $184 vs the list price of $271

The key will be here Wednesday, fingers crossed this solves the problem and it's not the EIS
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

Just got my new key and everything works as it should

Not only do I get the updated key which looks MUCH better but it also came with a new blade key
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
This same thing happened to my car recently.

While at the body shop

While on top of the frame-pulling machine the shop needed to work on other cars.

Car was stuck. 3400lbs of dead weight that brought the business to a halt. Talk about panic time.