Car runs terrible when cold C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 2004 E55 AMG, 2004 Suzuki GSXR, gl63
Car runs terrible when cold C43

First and foremost I'd like to say Hi to everyone on the forum, I just bought my first MB, I got it just two weeks ago, with 266,000km on it. I thought it ran great, I replaced all the brakes and some suspension components and it feels rock solid now. One thing I noticed though is that it runs funny when its cold, For example it doesn't seem to want to shift as easily and smoothly as when its warm, it sort of holds the gear. And it doesnt want to go into higher RPM. Is this some sort of self destruction protection so that I dont over rev it when its not at its operating temperature? I haven't really done anything with means to maintenance, all i've done is change the oil. Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by speedyc43
First and foremost I'd like to say Hi to everyone on the forum, I just bought my first MB, I got it just two weeks ago, with 266,000km on it. I thought it ran great, I replaced all the brakes and some suspension components and it feels rock solid now. One thing I noticed though is that it runs funny when its cold, For example it doesn't seem to want to shift as easily and smoothly as when its warm, it sort of holds the gear. And it doesnt want to go into higher RPM. Is this some sort of self destruction protection so that I dont over rev it when its not at its operating temperature? I haven't really done anything with means to maintenance, all i've done is change the oil. Any suggestions?
Yep, that's supposed to happen. When cold the car holds the gear to warm up the engine faster. The harder shifts just kind of come with it from my experience.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 219 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Agree to above. The gear is held longer with higher revs so as to heat the cats quicker and reduce start up polution. As an owner of 2 w202's I am used to this way the cars react when cold. You mention that you have changed plenty of parts which is a good thing. Have you changed oil and filter and also very important flushed the ATF and filter in the transmission? If not this will give you chunky shifts and poor overall performance. Nice to hear a owner with more kms than me. I am getting close to 250k and the engine pulls like a train. Oh and welcome aboard.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by speedyc43
I would change the filter and tranny fluid and sometimes when you press the S/W switch it will allow the car to change gears when you run into that issue. If it changes ut it back into S and see what happens because W will always have you starting out in 2nd gear. My car shifts when cold when I first start it cold,but I never mash the gas on her when shes cold.