C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

WTB a C43!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Passat 2.0T Sport/Lux Package
WTB a C43!

How's it going guys I am a new member to the forum but have been on here almost everyday for probably 4 months. I have been searching for a C43 for about 4 months now patiently waiting for one to show up. My patients is wearing thin and am really close to pulling the trigger on a '98 C43 with 160k miles. Here is a link to it and I just was hoping some of y'all could look at it for me with a well trained eye (not in person) but see if anything stands out to you or any questions to ask. I asked a lot of the questions I found by searching through the forums for pre buying tips. Thanks in advance I hope to be able to contribute and help this forum in the near future!
Here's the link: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3793453473.html

Also if anyone wants to get rid of there C43 or knows someone who does for some weird reason please let me know!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM

1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMichaelG
How's it going guys I am a new member to the forum but have been on here almost everyday for probably 4 months. I have been searching for a C43 for about 4 months now patiently waiting for one to show up. My patients is wearing thin and am really close to pulling the trigger on a '98 C43 with 160k miles. Here is a link to it and I just was hoping some of y'all could look at it for me with a well trained eye (not in person) but see if anything stands out to you or any questions to ask. I asked a lot of the questions I found by searching through the forums for pre buying tips. Thanks in advance I hope to be able to contribute and help this forum in the near future!
Here's the link: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3793453473.html

Also if anyone wants to get rid of there C43 or knows someone who does for some weird reason please let me know!

Looks like a pretty clean example for the mileage! The front bumper looks like it's been through a bit though. The grill insert is missing, and there is a pretty large gap on the passenger side. The insert will cost a bit from the dealer (a couple hundred $$ unpainted if I remember right). The gap should be able to be adjusted no problem though. Other than that and the aftermarket radio though all looks about right.
Just check the history for anything, see if it's aways been in Texas or if you have to look for rust, and see what's been replaced in the records (tranny, harmonic balancer, things you've probably already read about etc...)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM

2005 G500, 1995 E300D, 1993 500E, 1997 RUF Turbo R
Email sent.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM

1999 C43
I see the FT bumper cover issue as well. Likely had impact, but given all the proper labels remain on top of the rad support, it likely wasn't a hard hit.

The three bumper cover grille inserts are $$$$ from the dealer and I have yet to source them aftermarket. $300+ for center one alone.

There's also a wide gap between the cover and the RT headlight, meaning Styrofoam inserts and/or side bracket are MIA. I'm kicking around a chicken-wire alternative for mine.

Saw emblem missing from engine cover, but big whoop.

Check for trans/engine leaks; trans pilot bushing leak can be $$$, and can spread oil to TCU,which is bad. Oil cooler o-rings harden up and a leak makes a mess behind serp belt.

During test drive, check diff and suspension bushings by (gently) going from drive to reverse and back.

Also... during test drive, check that even every damn thing works. Whatever is inop, make that you're most important thing ever when negotiating!

I like the car.

What's that electronic contraption beneath the aftermarket radio? Should I be upset mine has a cubby there?

Dave in DE
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM

1999 C43
Missing spare tire storage equipment. Just FYI.

Love the two seemingly complete keys.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM

1999 C43
Originally Posted by FlyWFO

The three bumper cover grille inserts are $$$$ from the dealer and I have yet to source them aftermarket. $300+ for center one alone.

There's also a wide gap between the cover and the RT headlight, meaning Styrofoam inserts and/or side bracket are MIA. I'm kicking around a chicken-wire alternative for mine.

Dave in DE
Er... meant to say chicken wire alternative for the grilles. Not for Styrofoam absorber and/or bracket...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 146 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
I saw that car when shopping for a replacement for mine. I'm a total fanboy.

As long as you have a c43 I think you'll be happy. I just wrecked one with 265000 miles and would only replace it with another c43. They're fantastic to own and drive.

Agree on the small things. They're standard fare for a car that's almost fifteen years old. I'd definitely get a stock radio.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
As mentioned above the center slat for the bumper (goes in between the fog lights) is missing and is about $200 from the dealership and will cost you around $80-$150 to get painted). The passenger side of the front bumper is misaligned, I am betting the support for the bumper is cracked (mine was). This costs $200 from the dealer and requires a slight modification (2 notches cut out) as the support is a stock W202 support that was modified by hand at the factory to fit the C43 front bumper. The modification takes about 10 minutes (less if you use a dremel) and the replacement of the support takes about 20-30 minutes. The engine cover is missing the emblem (VERY common) and the spare wheel is missing the plastic center support that ties it down (may have been removed for the picture, I would ask about it). The leather seems to have seen better days (cracking).

I would check to see if the tranny has been rebuilt/replaced (with 165k on the dial it almost undoubtedly has) and check the drivers side mirror (heated oil inside usually goes bad, glass costs $200 to replace.)

It appears to be pretty much stock as far as performance mods go (stock suspension, stock motor, stock exhaust) which I prefer. When a car comes modded it takes all the fun out of it . Seller is asking $5750 but with all the $$$ it is going to cost to bring this baby back to stock condition I am betting you could get it closer to $5k which is a LOVELY entry price for these cars. As long as the motor has been taken care of it should go to 250,000+ miles which should be close to a decade of ownership unless you drive more than 10,000 miles per year.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 AM

First off thank you all so much, I was not expecting near the response but I was proven wrong! I have been on a few other forums and none of them were nearly this helpful, normally you get a bashing and someone says search for it yada yada. But I did notice the bumper sag on the right but wasn't to worried about it and I also noticed the bumper insert from people who have had to replace it on the forum here. I guess it is kinda common for it to go missing? I haven't talked to the guy about all the details he said email I did and he text me saying he couldn't email or text kinda thought that was funny. Work has kept me more busy then I would like so I haven't been able to call. It looks like it could really use a deep clean and the leather drivers side is obviously in pretty poor condition. But for the price I could bring it up to date and fix it up back to the original. Then let it down on some springs and find some 18 inch monos staggered. Man it would look good! Thank you all again for the tremendous help. This guy just might give it to me after I go through the list with him haha. I am hoping to knock down the price some if I am lucky! As for the radio I am not a fan of that one at all I think it looks ricy no offense to anyone that has an aftermarket headunit.
Thanks again guys,
Michael
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
As mentioned above the center slat for the bumper (goes in between the fog lights) is missing and is about $200 from the dealership and will cost you around $80-$150 to get painted). The passenger side of the front bumper is misaligned, I am betting the support for the bumper is cracked (mine was). This costs $200 from the dealer and requires a slight modification (2 notches cut out) as the support is a stock W202 support that was modified by hand at the factory to fit the C43 front bumper. The modification takes about 10 minutes (less if you use a dremel) and the replacement of the support takes about 20-30 minutes. The engine cover is missing the emblem (VERY common) and the spare wheel is missing the plastic center support that ties it down (may have been removed for the picture, I would ask about it). The leather seems to have seen better days (cracking).
$200 for the bumper support? I hope you didn't have to do this recently. I did mine in March and it was like, $100. Plus if he's lucky it is just the support that mounts to the frame, which is probably around $30. As far as the spare wheel goes definitely get it off of its face ASAP! Hope it's not scratched up from rubbing on the tub for god-knows how long.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Hi and welcome to the C43 family. It's a small family too as not many where made (less than 4000 WW).

The vehicle looks pretty clean and with a bit of work and controls mentioned above it will look very decent indeed. It would be interested to see when was the last service and to be able to look through the service invoices. If the work has been done with a MB dealer it should be a good sign that things have been maintained as they should be.

Take your time when choosing mods and don't rush the decision. Your 43 is a nice classic and should remain always a pleasant object to watch and enjoy. Don't forget to get out and drive it. Take care not to thrash the vehicle, it is a mature but experienced lady...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM

So I got a partial carfax on it today and it looks like it was originally an LA car, I guess that means more likeliness of rust doesn't it? Also it had quite an extensive service in 06 Differential checked
Control arm(s) replaced
Rear brake rotor(s) replaced
Air filter replaced
Engine checked
Fuel system cleaned/serviced
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Oil and filter changed
Driveshaft checked
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
But the most recent record was 5/30/2012 at the mb dealership
Drivability/performance checked
Brakes checked

I am curious how extensive the drive/performance check is. Anyone had this done?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 146 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
That's pretty standard stuff for a car that was properly tuned up and inspected. I'd consider that a notch in the positive category. Can't comment on exactly what they do with the "drivability/performance" check. You can bet it's something the owner/seller did to make sure the car was ready to sell and didn't have any hidden pitfalls.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Driven around the block to make sure no wheels fall off in the process....
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 PM

So I got a partial carfax on it today and it looks like it was originally an LA car, I guess that means more likeliness of rust doesn't it? Also it had quite an extensive service in 06 Differential checked
Control arm(s) replaced
Air filter replaced
Engine checked
Oil and filter changed
Driveshaft checked
Brakes checked

I am curious how extensive the drive/performance check is. Anyone had this done?
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Driven around the block to make sure no wheels fall off in the process....

Definitely sounds like it's been taken care of.
For the rust, not sure how coastal cars (LA,FL) compare to places like Texas, but I think those are supposed to be some of the best cars. Definitely better than anywhere they salt the roads
It shouldn't be hard to check. With the service record I think DRB is about right, time to just take it for a drive, get your own eyes on it and pull the trigger if all checks out. Rust will be found, if present, on the rockers (check under by the jack points,) if you open the trunk you will see two rubber "feet" on the bottom of the lid, check on the body of the car where these feet touch for rust, and check around the paint, especially around the door handles, for any bubbling of paint.
If not, then see if you can get that price down and get yourself a clean C43
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 PM

1999 C43
Heh... if it were mine I'd be looking for $7k+

And make no mistake... the missing bumper parts are the result of a low speed collision.

DC
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by FlyWFO
Heh... if it were mine I'd be looking for $7k+

And make no mistake... the missing bumper parts are the result of a low speed collision.

DC
Or a high curb. I suppose technically a low speed collision, but probably nothing to worry about. Seeing as mine's so low my dad seems to curb it every time he parks
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43 Amg
Heres 10 of them for sale here Go on there and http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43 Amg
I paid 5,700 for my c43 with 140k. it didn't have any major problems. the guy babied it. If your seriously thinking of getting this c43 with 160k I wouldnt pay 5750 for it. maybe 4000-4400.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Control arm(s) replaced
Air filter replaced
Engine checked
Oil and filter changed
Driveshaft checked
Brakes checked

Concerning there is no mention of transmission fluid/ filter changed nor front rotors. Tranny fluid should be flushed every 40,000 miles at a minimum. I am not sure how the rear rotors would need to be changed before the fronts. Front rotors cost around $500 for the pair and that's if you get them yourself online, even more expensive from the dealership. I believe the rear diff fluid should be changed every 2 or 3 years as well. I am wondering what the "fuel system cleaned/serviced" means??? When I took mine into the dealership they said they didn't do that for the C43
Old 05-15-2013, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by vlad957
Heres 10 of them for sale here Go on there and http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0

Woah Ivan's selling his 43?? I had no idea!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nd4spd13
Woah Ivan's selling his 43?? I had no idea!
Yup,
he has been trying for some time now but I think he is asking too much for a C43 with 175,000 miles on it (even though tranny and motor have less than that as they have been replaced)

He just bought a W124 300E
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM

So I was able to talk to the guy after playing phone tag for quite sometime. Started asking him a lot of questions about the car. He said it has no rust at all the paint is in great condition no dents or bubbling. The bumper sag he has already fixed. So all positive then he got into the negative. The drivers seat needs to be recovered forsure. It is crack and worn down big time. Also the headliner is sagging quite a bit and needs to be replaced he sent me pictures and I was going to upload them but I can't figure out how. I don't even have a ball park figure for those two repairs. He did say the front brakes probably need to be replaced but that is something I already figured was going to need to happen. If I could talk him down to 4750 or in that area I think it would still be a good buy even after those 3 repairs. He said the transmission is solid and he had all the fluids in the car replaced only a few months ago. He also said no leaks the car goes out on the weekends rarely if that. It has been sitting for 3 weeks... Poor thing. I am hoping to get into Dallas this weekend and be able to look it all over. It has been posted for about 2 months now so I don't think it is going anywhere.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:09 AM

2005 G500, 1995 E300D, 1993 500E, 1997 RUF Turbo R
I did an alcantera (or faux alcantera) headliner on mine. $500 in Dallas and it looks fantastic.

Headliner guy could likely fix the seat too. Let me know if you want his name/number.

Front brake rotors are $240 each. (Did that too)

Good luck! It will be a good weekend to check the A/C too.