C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

New C43 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 W202
New C43 owner

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I purchaseda silver 1999 C43 in March and couldn’t be happier. This thing runs strong andappears to have been very well kept inside and out (only 96k miles). It lookslike this car was purchased in BC and shortly after titled in the States. Ifanyone recognizes this car I’d love to know more about its history. Carfax wasclear but they don’t always have all of the info.

My plans are to keep this car near stock and simply enjoy it!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Excellent choice!

Unfortunately, 99.9% of all C43's are one of 3 colors (black, silver, or white) so its nearly impossible to recognize one in photos online. Example, my car is identical to your's.

Glad you enjoy the car! I'm obviously biased, but I feel it's one of the best all-around cars on the planet. Fun, good looking, fast, safe, comfortable, reliable, predictable, and collectible. I will NEVER part with my C43 as long as I have a choice in the matter.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 W202
When I first went to Germany I just loved the look/stance of the 90s MBs and BMWs. Outside of an M or AMG this look was just never popular here in The States but I have always been a huge fan. I was looking for an early 2000s silver E55 because I love the clean Euro lead sled look. By chance the Cadillac dealer near my home had a Silver C43 that I mistook for an E55 (it had the E55 18” wheels). I didn’t know much about the C43 but to me it had the look of the E55 just smaller, which was fine by me. Once I got a good look at how clean it was I had to test drive it. I immediately fell in love.

The Carfax was clean but I noticed that the car had been re-sprayed. I was skeptical so the dealer let me take it home so I could lift it up and get under it. I couldn’t find any evidence of an accident or body work but I do believe that the transmission was replaced as the numbers appears to indicate that it was manufactured in late 2002... Anyway, it looked and drove amazingly so I made an offer of $7,900 if they would put new tires and replace the rear brakes and rotors (front brakes were new). The dealer attempted to haggle (they wanted $11,900) so I just put my offer on the back of my business card and asked him to call me if there was anything he could do. He called me the following day and accepted the offer. He said rotors would be oem from MB but the tires would be cheaper Hankook V12s (fine by me). The deal was done!

Over 3 months later and I couldn’t be happier. The car hasn’t needed much work. I fixed a few small things and changed fluids but nothing major. I had the 18” AMG monoblocks 100% refurbished for $500 and they look amazing! I love working on and driving this car! I will give this car lots of maint. love to keep it running strong!

Last edited by J Mesa; 06-07-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Great to hear she's in good hands! I'm a very very big believer.

You know, if you want the best of both worlds between the E55 and the C43, the engine from the E55 bolts right into the C43 with no modifications needed. It's the same engine but with more displacement--and more power!

You can find an engine from a wrecked E55 for about $1k to $1.5k. A good shop can swap it around in a few hours. If you're DIY and you have an engine hoist, you can swap it yourself in a weekend.