Key Won't Turn - EIS or Key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Key Won't Turn - EIS or Key?

Had a rather distressing call from the body shop today.

Car was put on the frame puller to check if it needed straightening after the crash.

When they finished and went to start the car, the key won't turn in the ignition.

I'm using the flat emergency key, since I ruined my only regular key a few months back. I was planning on replacing the key after I got it back from the body shop.

Well, taking the key in and out a whole bunch of times and it won't budge the ignition. Now the car is trapped up on their frame machine!

How do I even tell which one needs replacing, the key fob or the EIS? What can I do to get it off their frame machine without hacking up the transmission lock!?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
they can disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission and put it in neutral manually that way. still won't be able to turn the steering wheel but they can use a floor jack etc to get it turned and out of the way.

as far as diag.. at my dealer we have a policy that the customer needs 2 keys to diag a key/eis issue. if they don't have a second key, order one before we really look at it. this is for many reasons, but even with an sds tester on it, you can only see if key is authorized and accepted by the eis. if it's not, you still don't know if it's the key or eis because there is no way to get in between the key and eis and test the infrared signal between the two.

sounds like you need a key anyway since you just have the valet key. i'd recommend you start by ordering a new one, and go from there. if that doesn't fix it, you might want to have a dealer look at it. since it sounds like it's been in an accident, i can't tell you for sure anything. if it was an ordinary car not in an accident, would likely then need an eis.

i'd suggest calling around if you have more than one dealer to check for prices, they can vary depending on dealer. you will need proof of ownership to order the key also.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
I went down to the shop to see if I could figure it out for them. I'm thinking it's the EIS. I took my old key (that I know is broken) for testing.

Insert old key, NOTHING happens.

Insert valet key, steering lock disengages, but ignition lock doesn't disengage. The EIS detects the key and releases the steering lock, and beeps when the door is open, but that's it. It won't let me turn the key at all.

Furthermore, the steering lock disengaging is hit or miss. Sometimes I put it in and nothing happens, sometimes I put it in and the steering lock will take a good 5-10 seconds to disengage. Sometimes when I take it out, the steering lock doesn't engage for another 5-10 seconds. I'm afraid the EIS has failed and my valet key is still fine. A tow truck driver "knew a trick" and got it off the frame puller and onto the shop floor. With the steering lock disengaging it was easy to move around by pushing.

I'm having it towed to the dealer and preparing to shell out massive bones
Old 07-14-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003s55amg
a similar problem happened to my o3 s55 ,eis failed the entire switch assembly was defective,it hurt ,good luck keep us posted