No juice out of middle vents! Seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
No juice out of middle vents! Seats?

I'm getting only a very light blow out of my middle vents whether it's on AUTO or > (arrow) [same blow out of side vents when its down arrow too]. I had my trunk recently fixed by dealer, he put in new latch and new vacuum hose, might it be related? I'm under warranty for another 1k miles bump to bump, and 4k mi on engine and tran, I can opt in for extended 2 year for 2500 to 3000$ I'm not convinced that it's really worth it, but chime in and let me know what you think. 131 on the clock. Push to shove, I'd really love to drop $5k on the 5.4, won't do it till it absolutely has to be done though, motor does seem pristine while tran is giving me some bumps.

Keep in mind I'm kind of a DIY guy without a garage so not much will get done for winter, but I don't work everyday and don't need the car as a daily commuter unless you count getting to the market or liquor store.

Second part of this is my seats. I feel like they really aren't filling up with air, but I'm not positive. Does anyone have a surefire test method? Should they really go from empty to full in a noticeable way?

I'll also throw in question #3 since I'm here. Met a very cool guy at my local MB dealer parts counter. He assured me that I can do a trans flush on my own and even mentioned replacing the electrical board, showed me schematics, etc etc. Said the basic gasket, oil, etc would run me $120., don't think he included the electrical board and other goodies that might go on for a refurb type deal. Is this viable or am I setting myself up for failure, have read mixed reviews on changing tran oil. (This would probably be a April/May project if I did it myself.)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
I think you're vacuum lines behind the engine are cracked and worn out. You should replace all of them. Replacing them will fix the problem for the center vents, It happened no less than 1 month ago to me and it was the vacuum lines that run next to the firewall. At that miles, you'd want to replace all engine vacuum lines.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 C36 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by mickey13
I'm getting only a very light blow out of my middle vents whether it's on AUTO or > (arrow) [same blow out of side vents when its down arrow too].

Second part of this is my seats. I feel like they really aren't filling up with air, but I'm not positive. Does anyone have a surefire test method? Should they really go from empty to full in a noticeable way?

I'll also throw in question #3 since I'm here. Met a very cool guy at my local MB dealer parts counter. He assured me that I can do a trans flush on my own and even mentioned replacing the electrical board, showed me schematics, etc etc. Said the basic gasket, oil, etc would run me $120., don't think he included the electrical board and other goodies that might go on for a refurb type deal. Is this viable or am I setting myself up for failure, have read mixed reviews on changing tran oil. (This would probably be a April/May project if I did it myself.)
1 and 2 are almost definitely related. There is a pretty majour vacuum line that Tony mentioned that should come through the firewall on the pass side (bright green on mine), meet a white line around the pass fender, then go back to the back of the engine into the throttle body. Check those connections first. Second check the lines right under the front seats and make sure they haven't been pinched when by the seat's rail/cogs and pop off the seat backs and check the y-connector there. If none of those seem to be the culprit, next place to check is the actuators in the center console right behind the driver's and pass' feet area.

As for the trans, not sure what the mixed reviews have been for replacing the oil. I think everyone on this forum agrees that the fluid is not made to last forever. Yes, maybe some people get lucky, but changing the fluid can only do good. As for DIY, it shouldn't be too tricky depending on your skills. I don't believe there's anything more complicated in doing it than sealing the gasket correctly.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Hey. Can I verify with someone that the center vents are supposed to blow heat? Just got back from the MB dealership and they are telling me that the center vents do not blow heat only A/C. To be honest, I don't know if they are blowing A/C or not, I don't think they are but can anyone confirm the heat whether heat should blow out of the center console?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
from centre vents you should get hot air or cold air by your choice, stealership is jiving you with bs!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 AMG
Yeah totally this is pure BS. My car blows hot air from the center vents... any vent for that matter. Don't listen to the stealership
Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Thanks bro. They are trying to wiggle out of my warranty. I'm going to slam them if they didn't fix it by the time I pick it up.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks bro. They are trying to wiggle out of my warranty. I'm going to slam them if they didn't fix it by the time I pick it up.
show them these forum replies as your proof and then slap them on their fingers with a rular coz they are jiving you!
i would stay away from such dealerhip, ban them by not buying parts or service the car

your seat have 2 different feelings when you sit on a inflated vs deflated seat.
deflated seat, your feeling will be like you sink into the seat with your lower lumbar back.

inflated seat gives more of a pumped and firm feeling when you sit in it

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 12-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
Hey. Can I verify with someone that the center vents are supposed to blow heat? Just got back from the MB dealership and they are telling me that the center vents do not blow heat only A/C. To be honest, I don't know if they are blowing A/C or not, I don't think they are but can anyone confirm the heat whether heat should blow out of the center console?
It should blow heat for sure. Try resetting the a/c unit but dealer should have done that before delivery. Text me 323-875-4012