C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

What tools do I need for a complete suspension rebuild?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
What tools do I need for a complete suspension rebuild?

As the title says.

My car needs a total suspension rebuild but I want to do it myself. I have a proper house and a proper garage now. I've bought myself an air compressor and will be getting an air impact wrench soon (750 ft lbs).

I know I probably need the MB spring compressor, but what would you guys say I definitely can't do the job without?

I'm doing all bushings (sub frame and rear diff bushings are GONE), tie rods, control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, everything. My car rattles and shakes and sways all over the road. After all this is done, I'll do the shocks and maybe some euro springs to drop it down to proper height.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by Sulaco
As the title says.

My car needs a total suspension rebuild but I want to do it myself. I have a proper house and a proper garage now. I've bought myself an air compressor and will be getting an air impact wrench soon (750 ft lbs).

I know I probably need the MB spring compressor, but what would you guys say I definitely can't do the job without?

I'm doing all bushings (sub frame and rear diff bushings are GONE), tie rods, control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, everything. My car rattles and shakes and sways all over the road. After all this is done, I'll do the shocks and maybe some euro springs to drop it down to proper height.
I strongly recommend for safety reasons you getting the correct MB spring compressor. It will always come in handy and you can find some good ones for not much money.

If you are changing all the suspension bushings, I also recommend you get new replacement arms. A full set for the rear suspension is less expensive than trying to remove the old bushes and insert new ones. For this job you may need to use a vertical hydraulic press and most people don't have that kind of equipment.

If you are doing all the rear suspension, then I assume you will drop the sub-frame. Once the frame is out, I think the 4 bushes can be replaced easily. That will certainly firm up all the rear end.

If you have any other questions, just shout
Attached Thumbnails What tools do I need for a complete suspension rebuild?-s7002856.jpg   What tools do I need for a complete suspension rebuild?-s7002857.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
I just removed all the suspension from my parts c43 car on all four corners and I did it with basic ratchets and wrenches.

Honestly the most annoying part of it all was the dangling heavy *** calipers always in my way. On a parts car I was able to remove them and drain some fluid but I dont want to do this on mine coz I dont want the brake flush to be on my to do list at this time

That sprint tool is good but how often will you use it??

Id go to your local auto zone and see if they can load you one.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PJmak
I just removed all the suspension from my parts c43 car on all four corners and I did it with basic ratchets and wrenches.

Honestly the most annoying part of it all was the dangling heavy *** calipers always in my way. On a parts car I was able to remove them and drain some fluid but I dont want to do this on mine coz I dont want the brake flush to be on my to do list at this time

That sprint tool is good but how often will you use it??

Id go to your local auto zone and see if they can load you one.
but how did you disassemble everything without springs popping out and doing damage (or killing you)?

plus I have my wife's w124 that needs an entire rebuild, too. $70 for a spring compressor to avoid possible death or hospital sounds okay.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sulaco
but how did you disassemble everything without springs popping out and doing damage (or killing you)?

plus I have my wife's w124 that needs an entire rebuild, too. $70 for a spring compressor to avoid possible death or hospital sounds okay.
Took off the rotor and caliper, took out the shocks, put a floor jack underneath where the control arm is connected to the frame, pulled the two bolts out and lowered the jack. If you have lowering springs you can take the spring out once the shock is taken out. No need to take off the control arm.

When taking out the shock, put the jack under the front of the control arm and raise it to where you can take out the shock. Once the shock it out just lower the jack and the spring will slowly decompress
Old 07-07-2021, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Digging up this old thread as I'm finally getting around to it.

Ordering the full rear arm/bushing kit from FCP Euro but I've noticed some big nuts and bolts back there that I'm not sure I have the right wrenches for. I bought a few weird ones based on what I could figure out (XZN 12, a 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, and 19mm ratcheting wrench set) but I think some of them are bigger still.

Anyone know what else I'd need? Anything bigger than a 19mm? I also got the spring compressor.

I'm fairly certain I can replace all 10 arms in the rear without dropping the whole subframe but dropping the subframe is in the cards for the future so I can do diff and subframe bushings. But keep in mind I'm doing this with jack stands and a floor jack; I don't have a proper lift. I may save dropping the subframe for a future job but I want the car to be road-worthy for now to be my backup car. I just did all 4 shocks this weekend and noticed one of my rear-upper-forward suspension arms had completely shot bushings and was the cause of the crazy self-steer issue I've been chasing for years. The cheapskate in me wants to just replace that single arm but I know I'm stupid if I don't replace them all at the same time.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youll need a specific tool to push out rear control arm bushings. Dont even start the job without it, itll be impossible.