C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Car Sat With Battery Unhooked, Now Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C36 AMG
Car Sat With Battery Unhooked, Now Won't Start

I am hoping someone may have an idea of what is going on with my 95 C36. Due to a suspected blown head gasket, the car was garaged for an extended period of time with the battery disconnected. When we started to work on it, we reattached the battery, changed out oil and coolant to find there was no stray fluid where it shouldn't be. We decided to start it to see if we could do compression test. Car turns over and just cranks, no ignition. Tried spraying starter fluid directly into engine which had no effect. Hooked up OBDII scan tool (which had previously been able to diagnose other MIL issues) and now that does not connect either. One other time the car acted like this - when the computer got fried due to the lovely biodegradable wiring harness. That episode required purchasing a new computer.

Does anybody have any ideas of where to start? Could the computer have reset itself because it sat without battery connection for several months? Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If it cranks, why cant you do a compression test!-----or what's the real story?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C36 AMG
My bad - relying on what my husband tells me he is doing to car. Decided to start the car to see if telltale smoke from exhaust still occurred from suspected cracked head gasket after checking all the fluids with no oil in coolant and no water in oil. However the car won't start. It just cranks and cranks like it isn't getting fuel or spark. Checked for sounds of fuel pump priming in gas tank (check) so it seems to be getting fuel but no spark.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Take him to Monument Street, walk him around, but don't ware him out and then test for spark--wada you get!