C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

My exact C43 is for sale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 140 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
I would not fret at all over your price. Welcome to the forum!

For what it's worth, I bought what I thought was the only C43 local to me back in 2011. It was a 99 with 238k miles but was very clean with a good history and no issues. I got it for $4k and was simply going to put a 55 motor in it since the high miles had ruined it's value in any case.

3 months later someone trades in a minty-fresh 99 C43 at the local Ford dealership. I spot this and pull in to inquire out of curiosity. 82k miles and absolutely garage kept its whole life. It was flawless and dealer serviced. Asking price at the time? 14k. I laughed and told them they are out of their mind. I pulled out my phone and found several similar examples all over the country with relatively similar histories going for $6500-8500.

4 days later someone came in and bought that car for $13k

You simply can't go around calling people idiots when it comes to cars this rare, especially as they reach the 20 year mark. 1100 were imported, how many are left? How many are left actually on the road? How many have a good service history? And then how many have less than 100k miles? 50k? etc. The list grows shorter and shorter the farther down you go.

Besides, values on specific cars eventually start climbing and there's always something to get the climb started. It's not like the entire car world gets together in a big confab and agrees "okay E36 M3's are too cheap, let's start paying more than they are currently worth!" People all on their own decided they just had to have one and were willing to overpay. After enough people start doing that, it's not "overpaying" anymore. It's climbing value.

An acquaintance of mine has another white 98 C43 with only 85k miles and has turned down offers that were a tad under $10k. He listed it for $6500 and decided to keep it when 3 buyers got in a bidding war.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 280 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Good price if you are gonna keep it clean and not drive it and put miles.

If you are gonna beat around in it, you paid too much.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
Originally Posted by kwhr49
"Only goes to show that there's always an idiot who'll pay ludicrous prices."

Alas gentlemen, the idiot has arrived. Willing to answer any and all questions regarding my logic or lack thereof.

LOL. Where in NJ are you? I'm over in Sea Bright.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 C43 AMG, 1988 190E, 2002 ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by kowalski
at some point further on you will also get the munchies for some spezijal euro option parts for your car which you unfortunately can't get as they were never sold in the US for w202!you can browse internet for euro C43's and check their interiors and extra power options.I think you have to dream about getting Kleeman headers, they are NLA since many years ago.
you just picked up an expensive hobby.

Only thing that interested me was a smoked heckblende from a Brabus C58...other than that most of the euro pieces, even headlights, don't interest me....

Im in Morris County.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 C43 AMG
Smile I guess Im the idiot now.

@Suluco thanks for the kind words. I paid 15.5 for my 50000 mile example because that's what it was worth to me I preferred spending that much for a nice one than less for one I would have to fix. In 1998 after reading about it I started saving towards a $20000 down payment so that I could afford the monthly. I was more than halfway there when my wife told me she was pregnant with my son. It got shelved. I raised my son alone for twenty years and he began making his way in the world which loosened up my finances for the first time in years. BAT was just a way to kill time for me until I saw this car. I put my card in and set a limit. It was right after Christmas so I thought maybe I had a chance. I was $100 away from my limit when the bidding ended. The seller put lipstick on the pig that is the front bumper claiming to have had it resprayed by some high end exotic body shop . It rained during my trip home and that paint washed off. Every single button and accessory works and nothing leaks or weeps. It runs like a clock and wants to spin the tires at every light with the ASR turned off. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I would not accept an offer of $50000. Its garaged for insurance reasons but I intend to drive it.If I buy something that makes me happy at a price that someone else would not have paid and that makes me an idiot that so be it. *shrug*