C43 front and rear bumpers - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) Discuss the C36 and C43 AMG.

C43 front and rear bumpers

Old 12-06-2018, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1 "Twin" and building an Ultima Sports Can-Am
C43 front and rear bumpers

Passed by my local MB parts counter to get some new clips and other small bits and pieces which will be necessary for the reassembly of body trim after the full re-spray.

After checking the EPC now called IPS, I was told that both front and rear C43 bumpers are still available, albeit as an order from the factory, so with a couple of days delay. OK not cheap at $900 and $1'000 plus all the inner linings and fixtures which have to go with it.

So guess those who say that these parts are rare as hens teeth need to review their opinions...

P.S. Photo of the front and rear bumpers and side skirts from "T-Rex" (the side skirts are no longer available new) in prep stage before painting. Some serious repair work has been done on them as several cracks and shoddy repairs by previous owner(s).

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 12-06-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A vicious C43
Danijel are you going to after drill some PDC sensors?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1 "Twin" and building an Ultima Sports Can-Am
Originally Posted by Intruder90210 View Post
Danijel are you going to after drill some PDC sensors?
Nope, wasn't delivered with this option, so keeping it original. Same as the licorice strips above the wheels. They are going back on after the paint spray. Oh, just to clear up doubts, absolutely no rust behind the strips when removed
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 55-swapped C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Well, I know in the US back in 2012 when I crashed mine, the dealer said they were NLA.

When someone rear-ended my E55 wagon, the dealer said there was 1 left at a dealer a thousand miles away. I bought it, but it got damaged in shipping and they refunded my purchase
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A vicious C43
Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG View Post
Nope, wasn't delivered with this option, so keeping it original. Same as the licorice strips above the wheels. They are going back on after the paint spray. Oh, just to clear up doubts, absolutely no rust behind the strips when removed
there has been some retrofit PDC sensors on UK car bumpers, but didn't looks so slick afterwards.
best tool to use is the Dremel!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Part number I need is A202 885 1616 and it is the polystyrene strip which fits behind the bumber to firm up the upper lip and avoid sagging. No longer available, so I guess it will need to be a DIY replacement. Apparently the part is found only on C43 bumpers, so I can't revert to another w202 model.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A vicious C43

Part number I need is A202 885 1616 and it is the polystyrene strip which fits behind the bumber to firm up the upper lip and avoid sagging. No longer available, so I guess it will need to be a DIY replacement. Apparently the part is found only on C43 bumpers, so I can't revert to another w202 model.
@ DRB.
do you refer to the rubber strip for rear bumper?
you mean the rubber strip that sits on the inside top portion of the rear bumper?

for fitment purposes, this rubber strip das it only sit lose inside the bumper and moving freely or is it perhaps bolted to internal screws of the bumper which I have hightlighted in some photos?

and finally some beautiful shots of a not so nice looking rear bumper.
MB made a design flaw not having enuff brackets for these crappy bumpers making them wavy looking.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, that's the part which avoids the wavey wave
Old 12-07-2018, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A vicious C43
Yeah, that's the part which avoids the wavey wave
Rear bbbbbbb-bumper still gets porked with the inserted foam, foam doesn't add much stability to the top inner part of the bumper.
Did you see the first photo of PJ's car with his old bumper?
This is how they become when they go bad, it's because there are not enuff stabilizing brackets on the inside.
Flawed design from MB.
I think PJ's bumper was a special edition coz he lives in the hot climate of Kalifornia and his bumper warped like crazy with a center top.

Did you check if there are any pre-drilled holes on this bumper foam if it can be screwed onto the inside of the bumper where I have highlighted bolts with red circles?

Last edited by noogman; 12-07-2018 at 06:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to noogman For This Useful Post:
silverc4s (01-18-2019)
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The polystyrene strip is glued to the top of the bumber and not screwed in any way. The nuts you highlighted in your pics are for holding the inner bumber frame and have nothing to do with the upper lip strips which come in three parts. If you look at the photos closely, you can see the remains of the glue on the bumber surface. Also the strip has a specific shape to mate to the bumber (see my first photo of one of the side strip).

As it is missing, I assume the rear bumber has been repaired previously and the body shop "forgot" to put it back in.

Just wondering if a strip of thickish alloy could be bonded to the upper lip to strengthen that area and do away with a polystyrene part

Last edited by DRBC43AMG; 12-08-2018 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Completed post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A vicious C43
yeah, now I see the remains of the old glue on the inside.
I would have thought there were pre-drilled holes in the foam then lock them in place with plastic nuts, well I was wrong.
guess we learn something new everyday, thanks