C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

1999 C43 Intermittent no crank issue (for going on 3 years now)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2020 | 09:25 PM

2000 G500
Originally Posted by Sulaco
the entire EIS? that would require replacement of tumbler, immobilizer, ECU, and I think 1 or 2 other EIS components

or did you mean just the EIS tumbler that the key plugs into?
Definitely wasn't the immobilizer and ECU, so I assume just the EIS tumbler.
Old 12-08-2020 | 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by Hiatus1
Sulaco, have you come across the DAS documentation in your research? Replacing just the EIS with tumbler (sounds like that is what is worn out and fails to hold the key in the correct position) can be done without having to replace the other modules in the driver authorization chain. Buy it has to be via the dealer is the way I read it.

PM me and I can hang the document on Google Drive and share.

Hiatus1
I have not. I would love to see this!
Old 12-09-2020 | 12:28 PM

1995 C280, 1998 C43
I have not. I would love to see this!
PM me your email and I will send you a Google Drive invite.
Old 12-12-2020 | 02:35 PM

1995 C280, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by PJmak
Two things to try if you havent:

-lube the gear at the bottom of the transmission
-do you have a brand new key?(new style). Its a known issue with new keys. Apparently taping the sensor on it makes it work better otherwise itll cause intermittent starting issues.
PJ can you cite where you have read "known issue with new keys"?

​​​​​Following a complete ECU replacement by a shop in NoVA, I'm having similar issues to Sulaco.
Old 12-23-2020 | 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
I'm using new style key since 2 years, NO issues..

-;-ZAYED-;-

Old 08-08-2023 | 10:19 PM

mk8R
Kind of have same issue now on my 99

No codes.

Key worked fine from about 2012-2016, but the battery is not required for starting car. Battery only powers lock/unlock/trunk feature. Try it, your key will start the car even with no battery in it.

What you see in that video is after I replaced ground wire. It's better, but still not completely. It's odd that it improved the issue but didn't completely solve it. I went out today and removed the ground and used steel wool to thoroughly clean the connections at both ends and it made no difference.

It will either do nothing when I turn the key (nothing = starter not engage). Or it will crank and immediately run. The issue appears to be something preventing it from always telling the starter to engage upon key turn.

Tried masking tape on key, no change.

Here's a video I made just now with the windows down so you can hear what's happening outside the car better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASR0kIclTI

so I have a 99 c43amg I took it to the shop to have rear main seal, replaced flex disks, suspension work motor mounts trans mount, and fuel filter and hoses replaced. I drove the car to the shop no problems like normal. He did the work moved the car. It sat outside during heavy rain water got into the passenger side floor board he drained it dryed it out for over a week and now the car won’t start. I was originally having the same problem you had but it would start after so many try’s but be super rough that’s why I thought of the fuel filter and was going to suggest the fuel filter but then I looked at your post date which was 2019 did you ever end up finding out what was causing the new start or no crank? Maybe it can help me I also have no communication at the diagnostic port