C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

1999 C43 Xenon Headlamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 Xenon Headlamps

I have the regular headlamps, can I put the Xenon headlamps on my car and is modifications required?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:40 PM

1996 C36
I have the OEM HID's from Bekkers. Since I have a 96 I had to change the two trim pieces under each light. Other than that, it was a bolt on operation.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:48 PM

SLK32
Yes. You can just go out and buy a HID kit and intsall it. Is this the best choice? No. But it is a much better bang for the buck than purchasing Factory HID lights.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by KC36AMG
I have the regular headlamps, can I put the Xenon headlamps on my car and is modifications required?
when i had a w202 i got a set of oem xenons from a c43 pace car that was getting parted out. i think it took me like 2 hours to pull the stock halogens out, mount the new ballasts and install the new xenon headlamps. it was one of the best mods i ever did. i think with the bekker units you have to change one of the fuses and you might get a light out warning on your dash. do a search and im sure you will find lots of threads about this topic.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:50 AM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
when i had a w202 i got a set of oem xenons from a c43 pace car that was getting parted out. i think it took me like 2 hours to pull the stock halogens out, mount the new ballasts and install the new xenon headlamps. it was one of the best mods i ever did. i think with the bekker units you have to change one of the fuses and you might get a light out warning on your dash. do a search and im sure you will find lots of threads about this topic.

QUOTE=BklynBenz]when i had a w202 i got a set of oem xenons from a c43 pace car that was getting parted out. i think it took me like 2 hours to pull the stock halogens out, mount the new ballasts and install the new xenon headlamps. it was one of the best mods i ever did. i think with the bekker units you have to change one of the fuses and you might get a light out warning on your dash. do a search and im sure you will find lots of threads about this topic.[/QUOTE]

the reason you have to change the fuse is because the Xenon unit require higher ampere rating compare to halogen.
IT's not because it is non OEM or not.

The bekker unit is OEM and euro spec headlight. IT has the vacuum control motorized headlight in which you could adjust the headlight level from the inside. (you also need the switch to have this feature functional).

But as far as the headlight, reflector and ballast they are the same as the OEM xenon that came with C43 as factory option.

About the warning light normally you would get then from installing Xenon conversion (bulb and ballast set that you install in your halogen unit).

I bought Bosch headlight unit from Bekkers and the only thing I did is replaced the fuse rating for the headlight to 15A. (C43 with xenon will also has the same fuse rating).

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
Old 08-29-2004, 01:52 AM

1997 C36 AMG
QUOTE=BklynBenz]when i had a w202 i got a set of oem xenons from a c43 pace car that was getting parted out. i think it took me like 2 hours to pull the stock halogens out, mount the new ballasts and install the new xenon headlamps. it was one of the best mods i ever did. i think with the bekker units you have to change one of the fuses and you might get a light out warning on your dash. do a search and im sure you will find lots of threads about this topic.[/QUOTE]

the reason you have to change the fuse is because the Xenon unit require higher ampere rating compare to halogen.

The bekker unit is OEM and euro spec headlight. IT has the vacuum control motorized headlight in which you could adjust the headlight level from the inside. (you also need the switch to have this feature functional).

But as far as the headlight, reflector and ballast they are the same as the OEM xenon that came with C43 as factory option.

About the warning light normally you would get then from installing Xenon conversion (bulb and ballast set that you install in your halogen unit).

I bought Bosch headlight unit from Bekkers and the only thing I did is replaced the fuse rating for the headlight to 15A. (C43 with xenon will also has the same fuse rating).

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
Old 08-29-2004, 03:05 AM

1999 C43 Xenon Lights

Did the C280's from 1999 - 2001 come with Xenon's and would it fit?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by J Irwan

maybe you didnt read my post correctly. i said you have to change the fuse with the bekkers unit not the oem straight from the factory mercedes benz one. im telling you that i installed the oem mercedes benz xenons from a c43 into my c280 and i did not have to change the fuse. end of story.

Last edited by BklynBenz; 08-29-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:31 PM

1997 C36 AMG
maybe you didnt read my post correctly. i said you have to change the fuse with the bekkers unit not the oem straight from the factory mercedes benz one. im telling you that i installed the oem mercedes benz xenons from a c43 into my c280 and i did not have to change the fuse. end of story.

no need the harsh tone.

I have checked that all Xenon equipped C43 has the headlight fuse 15A
while the regular halogon at 7.5A or 10A (I forgot which).

Now which fuse do you have on your car right now. (isn't possibe someone might have have run out 7.5A/10A on your car and then decided to put 15A while it has halogen headlight ..?? Then when you swapped the headlight to Xenon unit, you don't have to do so.)

I am not questioning what other people do, I am just trying to shed some light and help out other member in doing this upgrade..!!!!!!!!!!! (by providing the information as accurate as possible )
(you could verify on other W202 with halogen healight to see about the OEM fuse rating for the headlight).

Regardz,
Old 08-29-2004, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by J Irwan
no need the harsh tone.

I have checked that all Xenon equipped C43 has the headlight fuse 15A
while the regular halogon at 7.5A or 10A (I forgot which).

Now which fuse do you have on your car right now. (isn't possibe someone might have have run out 7.5A/10A on your car and then decided to put 15A while it has halogen headlight ..?? Then when you swapped the headlight to Xenon unit, you don't have to do so.)

I am not questioning what other people do, I am just trying to shed some light and help out other member in doing this upgrade..!!!!!!!!!!! (by providing the information as accurate as possible )
(you could verify on other W202 with halogen healight to see about the OEM fuse rating for the headlight).

Regardz,
no need to be so sensitive, nothing i said was harsh and im sorry if you took it to the heart. all i said was what i did to my car and what other people i know did when they installed bekkers xenon kits. thats it. unfortunately i do not have my w202 any more as i now have a clk and it would be impossible to see what fuse is in there now. i will tell you that i never changed the fuse or had to get the fuse chaged in the 4 years that i owned the car. as you say, i too, am just trying to shed some light and help out other members in doing this upgrade.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:11 AM

All of them!
stronger fuses?

Here's a fact, all hids I have dealt with have ballasts rated at 35 watts.
All lights should be rated at lumen output and colour but instead they for some stupid reason rated only with wattage. Hid lights systems are more efficient. (more lumens@lower wattage) They use a ballast (or transformer) to create a high voltage spark or arc to create light (and hardly any heat) and have more in common with a ignition system than a bulb that uses a heated element to create light. (and heat) to calculate wattage you simply multiply volts x amperes = watts. All headlamp bulbs halogen or not are at least 45 watt, most are 55 watt for lows beam and 65 watt on high beams.
The bottom line is you should not need a larger fuse for hid lights factory or aftermarket.
BTW I have three setups on my cars 1 factory, I retrofit and I home built and love them all equally as well.
Rich
Here's a pic of my f150 with hid headlamps and fog lamps.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (791.1 KB, 432 views)
Old 09-10-2004, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
I agree. No fuse upgrade is needed.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:49 PM

c43
there is oem xen lights for w202's?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
there is oem xen lights for w202's?
yes!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by mbenzman
The bottom line is you should not need a larger fuse for hid lights factory or aftermarket.
Unfortunately, your "bottom line" is incorrect and doesn't take into account that the startup voltage of an HID system is up to 6 times that of the running voltage; therefore, the recommended fuse for cars with HID is usually 15 amp. The starting voltage can go up as the electronics of the system age.

Many cars have sufficient fuses already for this amount; some Mercedes come with 7.5 amp fuses. 7.5 amp fuses are notorious for blowing when an HID system is installed. M-class owners are the Mercedes owners who upgrade to xenons most often and still have fuses for the headlights (W203 owners probably upgrade more often but do not have fuses). Many early M-classes were fitted with small fuses; later ones are fitted with 15A. The 7.5A is prone to blowing.

Since most fuses are not very precise, some people may have success with a fuse while others will not.

It's best to at least check your setup, and if you don't have a 15A, upgrade; if you don't you may (literally) be left in the dark at a time which would not be ideal. Luckily, it will usually be when first turning the lights on.

-s-
Old 09-15-2004, 06:44 PM

1997 C36 AMG
thanks scorchie for the clarification...

I am getting tired to say the same thing over...and over again..

Bottom line 15amp is needed....

Regardz,
Old 09-15-2004, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
thanks scorchie for the clarification...

I am getting tired to say the same thing over...and over again..

Bottom line 15amp is needed....
Old 09-16-2004, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
yup, had to put in the 15A fuse on my ML when i got the xenons installed.