Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C43 AMG, C63 AMG, C63S AMG (W205)
Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles! >

Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles!

Notices
C43 AMG, C63 AMG, C63S AMG (W205)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles!

 
 
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Angry Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles!

Hi everyone,

So my car is a W205 C63S. It had exactly 6333 miles when the brake indicator went on.

I thought it was going to be a sensor or a defect, but no, all 4 brake pads are worn evenly at 3mm/2mm. It's unbelievable.

I took it to 2 different dealers. The 2nd one was recommended by a friend who knew the SA and I got to keep the pads. They tried to claim it under warranty but there's no valid excuse. $1200 to replace all 4 corners.

I never took my car to the track, always easy on the brakes (I tend to downshift a lot). My previous car was a CL63 and the pads easily lasted 20k miles even though it was a much heavier car (4700lbs).

I'm just VERY confused. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Can someone please try to offer an explanation? This is not about the money, it's just that I don't understand how this happened. I know for a fact that I didn't trash the car. If I did, I wouldn't have had any problems owning up to it. Even my friends that ride with me are surprised since they know that I'm pretty smooth and never hit the brakes hard.


Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Dasani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 190
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63s
I'm at just about 14000 miles, no problems. Standard C63s brakes, not carbon ceramic.
Dasani is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M6 Coupe
gerbs is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:06 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RDOCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,216
Received 96 Likes on 90 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Are they CCB?
RDOCA is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:18 PM
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
I don't do burnouts. That was a drift, captured from a video

And still can't explain the front brakes. Thanks for being so observant.
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:19 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by RDOCA View Post
Are they CCB?
Nope!
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:28 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 356
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by - Guilty - View Post
Hi everyone,

So my car is a W205 C63S. It had exactly 6333 miles when the brake indicator went on.

I thought it was going to be a sensor or a defect, but no, all 4 brake pads are worn evenly at 3mm/2mm. It's unbelievable.

I took it to 2 different dealers. The 2nd one was recommended by a friend who knew the SA and I got to keep the pads. They tried to claim it under warranty but there's no valid excuse. $1200 to replace all 4 corners.

I never took my car to the track, always easy on the brakes (I tend to downshift a lot). My previous car was a CL63 and the pads easily lasted 20k miles even though it was a much heavier car (4700lbs).

I'm just VERY confused. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Can someone please try to offer an explanation? This is not about the money, it's just that I don't understand how this happened. I know for a fact that I didn't trash the car. If I did, I wouldn't have had any problems owning up to it. Even my friends that ride with me are surprised since they know that I'm pretty smooth and never hit the brakes hard.


Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
You have to wonder whether the brakes were adjusted properly in the first place. Or a fault with the traction/stability control meaning the brakes are always "on"? Would be impossible to prove the first point - and should have been sorted with pad change anyway, and the second possibility should have been covered off by one of the dealers you took it to.
JimmyR is offline  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 PM
  #8  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
You have to wonder whether the brakes were adjusted properly in the first place. Or a fault with the traction/stability control meaning the brakes are always "on"? Would be impossible to prove the first point - and should have been sorted with pad change anyway, and the second possibility should have been covered off by one of the dealers you took it to.
That's why I'm sticking to OEM replacements. If the new OEM pads last for much longer, I'll know that something was up with the OE set. We'll see. I was honestly just shocked. I baby the brakes like you have no idea. I don't want to for 1k per rotor so soon.
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by - Guilty - View Post
I don't do burnouts. That was a drift, captured from a video

I never took my car to the track, always easy on the brakes
.
Although you've never took it to the track but you've tracked it judging by that pic...and that is not easy on the brakes either.
PartyVan is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM
  #10  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by PartyVan View Post
Although you've never took it to the track but you've tracked it judging by that pic...and that is not easy on the brakes either.
You're an idiot. What makes you think you know what I did to my car better than me?

Track = Going at high rates of speed then braking hard at corners.

Drifting = Smashing the throttle with traction control off without using the brakes.

Explain Einstein.
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 11:33 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 109
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by - Guilty - View Post
You're an idiot. What makes you think you know what I did to my car better than me?

Track = Going at high rates of speed then braking hard at corners.

Drifting = Smashing the throttle with traction control off without using the brakes.

Explain Einstein.
Don't worry about it just keep paying for pads at 6333 miles and everything will be all right.

Last edited by speedlimit; 06-16-2016 at 10:32 AM.
PartyVan is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 AM
  #12  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by PartyVan View Post
Don't worry about it just keep paying for pads at 6333 miles and everything will be all right.
Exactly the kind of response I expected from a brainless monkey like yourself
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 201
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
I have 7400 miles on my car and I had to take it in to replace brakes and rotors. Never been on a track. I don't abuse the car. Only drive 20-25 miles a day. Luckily they covered it under warranty.
dforman15 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
dogfan82 (01-13-2019)
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by dforman15 View Post
I have 7400 miles on my car and I had to take it in to replace brakes and rotors. Never been on a track. I don't abuse the car. Only drive 20-25 miles a day. Luckily they covered it under warranty.
Hi man,

Thanks for your input. It's really appreciated. Can you please tell me a bit more? How did you know something was up with your brakes?

Which dealership was it?

Thanks a lot!
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM
  #15  
Member
 
shoe3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ?
Posts: 161
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'19 GLC63 (SUV)
Originally Posted by - Guilty - View Post
I don't do burnouts. That was a drift, captured from a video

And still can't explain the front brakes. Thanks for being so observant.

Nice "burn out".
shoe3k is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 PM
  #16  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by shoe3k View Post
Nice "burn out".
Didn't touch the brakes.

Guilty is offline  
The following users liked this post:
shoe3k (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 201
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
Keyes Mercedes Van Nuys,
I took the car in at 5000 miles complaining of squeaky brakes. They drove the car and said that these are performance brakes and I can expect them to squeak a little. (Not CCB) So I took the car back and drove it another 2400 miles. Finally couldn't take the noise anymore so I took it back in and they said I need new brakes and rotors. They mentioned some bulletin regarding the brakes and rotors and said it would be covered.
dforman15 is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
  #18  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by dforman15 View Post
Keyes Mercedes Van Nuys,
I took the car in at 5000 miles complaining of squeaky brakes. They drove the car and said that these are performance brakes and I can expect them to squeak a little. (Not CCB) So I took the car back and drove it another 2400 miles. Finally couldn't take the noise anymore so I took it back in and they said I need new brakes and rotors. They mentioned some bulletin regarding the brakes and rotors and said it would be covered.
Ah okay, I never really had any issues with the brakes until now. They were perfect... until they weren't anymore
Guilty is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:41 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 638
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
'15 C63S
Would be nice to know what the bulletin says. Do you still have the paperwork?
vaelin is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting as I replaced all 4 pads at 19,000 miles. I daily drive the car and they lasted a good while.
Peter
houstonT is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 02:47 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A.D., U.A.E
Posts: 6,470
Likes: 0
Received 196 Likes on 186 Posts
00 W202 C200 & C55
Weird..!,

noticed everyone been satisfied, when they replaced their pads soo early..!,,

is that means; first production pads from factory, were sooooooo BAD..!!

ZAYED,,
cm60k is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,248
Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by - Guilty - View Post
You're an idiot. What makes you think you know what I did to my car better than me?

Track = Going at high rates of speed then braking hard at corners.

Drifting = Smashing the throttle with traction control off without using the brakes.

Explain Einstein.
MB version of Torque vectoring uses the brakes, Heisenberg Are you sure that TC was always completely disabled rather than using sport mode? If not, brakes were active while you played. Whether you were aware of it or not.

You might want to be a bit more polite if you want any support.
Just a suggestion.
Mr. J is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Gle43e55ju (05-04-2018)
Old 06-15-2016, 04:25 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,006
Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by - Guilty - View Post
Didn't touch the brakes.

Desert - YouTube
Not trying to stir the pot here, but that screenshot in your signature doesn't look like it's from the video you just posted... just saying.

And as someone already mentioned, brakes can be applied with eLSD's.
AlexZTuned is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM
  #24  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,838
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
MB version of Torque vectoring uses the brakes, Heisenberg Are you sure that TC was always completely disabled rather than using sport mode? If not, brakes were active while you played. Whether you were aware of it or not.

You might want to be a bit more polite if you want any support.
Just a suggestion.
Hey Jesse! Are you being serious right now? You think you can do what I did in the video with ESP in "Sport" only? Of course ESP was completely off, who do you think I am? I either drive with ESP completely off (95% of the time) or ESP ON if it's raining. If it's on, I don't smash it.

I'm not here asking for support, I'm asking if it's normal and it seems that everyone agrees it's not since you're all trying to accuse me of being heavy on the brakes. I didn't come here complaining about tires. I like to drift but burnouts aren't my cup of tea. I'm not going to be polite to people that insinuate that I'm lying. I know that I have to pay to play (ask my tire shop).

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned View Post
Not trying to stir the pot here, but that screenshot in your signature doesn't look like it's from the video you just posted... just saying.

And as someone already mentioned, brakes can be applied with eLSD's.
It was taken from a different angle, I thought it'd be obvious... apparently not. Here you go:

Guilty is offline  
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,248
Received 164 Likes on 132 Posts
C450, GLC43
Nope I wasn't accusing you of being heavy on the brake. I was just pointing out one instance where the brakes can engage without driver braking input.

But while we're on the subject of accusations..
You are being defensive and rude. Those are character flaws in case you aren't aware.


I hope you get your brake situation worked out satisfactorily.
Mr. J is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.