Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove C450 AMG and was left underwhelmed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016 | 05:47 PM

Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Originally Posted by cenzo86
I just want to put this out there. How many people plan on tracking their c450, or for that matter, their c63? It isn't exactly a lightweight chassis. It wasn't designed as a track monster. I watched a review of the Infiniti G series with the 400hp ttV6 and they complained about the synthetic soft steering. That car has no physical rack at all.
It is a road vehicle first and foremost. I know the BMW guys swear by their M series, and Jeremy Clarkson used to get erect over steering feedback, but how many of these cars ever see off road use?
My c450 feels great through the Twisties. I don't plan on throwing it around a corner at triple digit speeds. If you want steering feel you MUST drive the Alfa 4C. No power steering, carbon fiber tub, non adjustable springs = feelings.
I had a 1976 Ferrari 308. The car weighed 2800lbs, mid engine, and no power steering. The steering wheel was pretty large (leverage helped from a standstill) and the wheels were 14". You felt EVERYTHING through that wheel. If you hit a ****ty road, the wheel would want to jump out of your hands.
In my experience Mercedes makes more road oriented cars with stupid HP to roast the tires. BMW makes uncomfortable, Bavarian compromise mobiles. Infiniti makes cars for guys who don't want to drive BMWs. Jaguars are pretty. Porsche is for for, well... I think we've all heard that saying before.

So my thing wasn't about the steering feel - but just about the difference between Comfort and Sport/Sport+ - once in awhile when I'm on some twisty roads I want the car to feel more like a sports car. Currently my GS350 can do that - and from a steering sensitivity along with steering weight perspective - it was better imho than the C450 AMG, which did not seem to alter the steering weight at all, the steering sensitivity was increased ...

I've never really driven a car with good steering feedback I don't think. Most of the cars I've driven recently all have electronic steering.

The thing is - I wanted to like the C450 AMG, I still want to - I'm hoping when I test drive a C43 AMG in September/October - the issue I had with the C450 AMG will be gone.
Old 07-27-2016 | 01:48 AM

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Originally Posted by Liquidice
So my thing wasn't about the steering feel - but just about the difference between Comfort and Sport/Sport+ - once in awhile when I'm on some twisty roads I want the car to feel more like a sports car. Currently my GS350 can do that - and from a steering sensitivity along with steering weight perspective - it was better imho than the C450 AMG, which did not seem to alter the steering weight at all, the steering sensitivity was increased ...

I've never really driven a car with good steering feedback I don't think. Most of the cars I've driven recently all have electronic steering.

The thing is - I wanted to like the C450 AMG, I still want to - I'm hoping when I test drive a C43 AMG in September/October - the issue I had with the C450 AMG will be gone.
Get the C63 or C63S. Problem solved.
Old 07-27-2016 | 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by VaserC63S
Get the C63 or C63S. Problem solved.
You do know that the steering kits for the C43 and C63 are very similar right?
Old 07-27-2016 | 02:44 AM

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Well I had a BMW 335 with hydraulic steering. Got the range rover and hated that steering so much but alas got used to it. Traded BMW 335 for the C63S, I don't even know what am missing anymore. Suddenly even the RR one feels fine to me. And no I didnt know C43 and C63 had similar kit, but it doesn't really matter. Youll get used to it and quickly forget how aweful you felt it was.
Old 07-27-2016 | 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Liquidice

If there was no different between Comfort and S+ perhaps there was an issue with the particular C450 you test drove?
Old 07-27-2016 | 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
The C450/C43 use the same AMG steering profile as the C63/C63S; however, it is a 2-stage configuration (Comfort, Sport) with a linear steering ratio of 14.2:1 as opposed to the 3-stage used in the C63/C63S (Comfort, Sport, Sport+) with a linear steering ratio of 14.1:1.

Here are the specifics:

There is also a post that details the 450's AMG Dynamic Select driving modes: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ic-select.html

So Eco and Comfort use the Comfort steering profile and Sport and Sport+ both use the Sport steering profile. I could see going between them without this info resulting in a "they all feel the same" conclusion.
The following users liked this post:
Liquidice (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016 | 07:18 PM

Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
If there was no different between Comfort and S+ perhaps there was an issue with the particular C450 you test drove?
Definitely a possibility - there are not many C450 AMGs left near me - so I might wait until the C43s come out and test drive one and see.
Old 07-28-2016 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
I was going to say, there are only two modes (someone already covered it).

So sport and sport+ will have the same steering feel. Because it is literally the same setting.

I have become used to some what vague steering rack and I think it does a pretty decent job. I don't like the initial vagueness when on center, would rather small movements to the wheel equate to the the wheels actually turning.

On another note, turn in on the car is amazing. Coming from a B8.5 S4, that thing would push when cornering so hard. The C450 turns exactly where you point it. Love that.
Old 07-28-2016 | 09:49 PM

2017 C43 sedan
IMO

Opinions are like mouths.
Most everybody has one.
Me too.

Recently drove an M3, 428i and a 335xi. Liked the steering feel in all three, but didn't find the steering much (if any) better than the 450. Anyway things like ride and steering are pretty subjective. YMMV