C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 9 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
LOL You're so mad. It's okay man - don't be so angry. Stay classy - I'm out before you burst a blood vessel.
Yes! Have to wonder at some of the chuckleheads on this forum....

Last edited by 1Gunner; 01-23-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 182 Likes on 143 Posts
2017 C43
I noticed in sport+, the highest gear at 70mph (cruise control on) the trans would shift to is 7th gear. But, you can manually shift it into 8th and even 9th and it'll stay there without having to switch to manual mode using the trans button. Not that you'd need any of these gears on a 1/4 mi. Its just an observation I stumbled upon with the new 9-speed trans. In comfort mode it goes all the way to 9th gear at the same speed.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by White C400
Silver surfers orignal post was saying he thought it was stupid to modify a brand new car. That it doesn't make sense only if it's a older car. That doesn't make any sense to me.

No, he doesn't even mention the word "stupid". He might have made you "feel" stupid, but honestly, if someone doesn't agree with you that's cool you know. I get what you are saying and as they say, different strokes for different folks.

It is a cheap mod, but I wouldn't want the headache of warranty issues with my daily driver. I have other cars to get my jollies out being a car guy.

It is tantalizing tho...
The following users liked this post:
YoungLane (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
It is interesting to see the tangents that these threads go off on !!
The following users liked this post:
YoungLane (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Any person into modding can't deny that 100+ hp and 100+ tq for around $1500 is great bang for buck in the modding world. Also with so many limitations that a manufacturer has to build cars, it is nice to see what they can truly do.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:35 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Sanch
Back to OP - I like the 7 speed in my current c63s.

Although I have yet to try the new 9 speed. I believe the 7 speed is sufficient.

Do you think a TCU tune help the 9 speed?
If you look at the specs and how good (according to drive reviews) it is in the new E63 then it'll be a good upgrade when it eventually finds its way into the C63 even if only for RWD in the C
Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe -Selenite Grey w/ PE..... 2014 Black Jaguar F-Type convertible- Sold
Originally Posted by White C400
Silver surfers orignal post was saying he thought it was stupid to modify a brand new car. That it doesn't make sense only if it's a older car. That doesn't make any sense to me.
This is incorrect. At no point was his comment "I think it's stupid to modify a brand new car" or "you're stupid for modifying a brand new car". Fellas need to relax, no one's attacking anyone's character by posting their opinions. I'm tired of reading thread after thread where people get butthurt and defensive over the slightest differences of opinions.

A new model, that's been around for less than 6months, is guess what...still a brand new model. Dropping $20k into it was simply not something he, myself, and certainly many others, didn't feel was necessary. Especially if it's a leased car, why automatically dump thousands of dollars into a car you'll never own or recoup your money on?? Doesn't mean I don't want to tune it at all, but someone "must not be a car guy" because they respectfully disagree with you is an asinine statement. Clearly, we're talking on a car forum, reading posts daily. You're definition of a "Car guy" is subjective.

Before you put that it in quotes, saying that I too think all mods are stupid, keep reading. I DO think mods are great and to each their own. Stop jumping to extremes or conclusions. You sound like the mad girlfriend who misread her boyfriend's text message or some ****.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by YoungLane
This is incorrect. At no point was his comment "I think it's stupid to modify a brand new car" or "you're stupid for modifying a brand new car". Fellas need to relax, no one's attacking anyone's character by posting their opinions. I'm tired of reading thread after thread where people get butthurt and defensive over the slightest differences of opinions.

A new model, that's been around for less than 6months, is guess what...still a brand new model. Dropping $20k into it was simply not something he, myself, and certainly many others, didn't feel was necessary. Especially if it's a leased car, why automatically dump thousands of dollars into a car you'll never own or recoup your money on?? Doesn't mean I don't want to tune it at all, but someone "must not be a car guy" because they respectfully disagree with you is an asinine statement. Clearly, we're talking on a car forum, reading posts daily. You're definition of a "Car guy" is subjective.

Before you put that it in quotes, saying that I too think all mods are stupid, keep reading. I DO think mods are great and to each their own. Stop jumping to extremes or conclusions. You sound like the mad girlfriend who misread her boyfriend's text message or some ****.
Ohhhhh, better watch out. You will be told that this is indeed the not place and you should shove you opinions.

That being said, I would not mod a lease car. That is unless you know you will be purchasing said car after the lease.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
You guys are missing the point. Me and OP were having a nice and civil conversation about modding and taking these cars to the track.

Then silversurfer came in and not only offered zero input on the topic, but he also said that we were "barking up the wrong tree" in regards to taking a mercedes to the track. Sure, he didn't exactly say "stupid" but the sentiments were implied.

There is a thing called 'tact', and silversurfer exercised none of it. Just spouting his mouth off for absolutely no reason other than to disagree with us and make himself feel better.

The thing that I don't get is why all of you are in here coming to his defense. I'm sure he doesn't need you people to hold his hand, and the last thing this thread needs is for the [off]topic to be dragged on any further.

NOW..... If anyone has any more on the OP's topic, lets get this thread back on it's rails.

If not, let's let the thread die.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe -Selenite Grey w/ PE..... 2014 Black Jaguar F-Type convertible- Sold
Yet again, you're selectively reading/hearing what you want to hear. His barking up the wrong tree comment pertained to people wanting to take it to the track for pure numbers/being competitive in the 9's and 10's. PRIOR sentence said that in a safe and controlled environment, people wanting to test and push their cars, go for it.

You pick and choose what you want to hear out of others' replies. No one needs to defend him. I think he's clearly shown your "tactless" remarks aren't going to bother him. Several of us spoke up because you seem to be the one attacking people.

Sorry for helping derail the thread. Regarding the OP's questions, or rather a comment, yes it's unfortunate that the tranny requires you to shift where it does. Does anyone with a tune on theirs or other mods have any input as to changes they've seen regarding the shift points pre/post mod?

Thanks OP,
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by YoungLane
Yet again, you're selectively reading/hearing what you want to hear. His barking up the wrong tree comment pertained to people wanting to take it to the track for pure numbers/being competitive in the 9's and 10's. PRIOR sentence said that in a safe and controlled environment, people wanting to test and push their cars, go for it.

You pick and choose what you want to hear out of others' replies. No one needs to defend him. I think he's clearly shown your "tactless" remarks aren't going to bother him. Several of us spoke up because you seem to be the one attacking people.

Sorry for helping derail the thread. Regarding the OP's questions, or rather a comment, yes it's unfortunate that the tranny requires you to shift where it does. Does anyone with a tune on theirs or other mods have any input as to changes they've seen regarding the shift points pre/post mod?

Thanks OP,
Obviously you haven't been paying attention to what I have posted. But go ahead, keep derailing the thread. You guys just can't give it a break.

And no, mods will not be able to change the gearing of the transmission. Traveling at x speed in x gear will still be the same no matter what exhaust or tune you have on the car. Maybe you can have your tuner raise the limiter but that is a difficult request as I have learned by talking to AMR and OE about this.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Beauty transmission! A definite improvement over my 7 speed and will be a nice addition in a lot of the AMGs
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
In the zillion scenarios of designing a powertrain and software and it's performance among a multitude of driving requirements, I doubt that the 1/4 mile trans shift points were high on the priority list for a C43.