C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, a place where C63 owners won't say "C43 isn't a real AMG"!!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Jben63
New to the Forum.. Wazzzup! No but on a serious note as a C63 owner. I was in a big debate on whether to purchase a C450/C43 AMG and I decided to go the C63 route. But as I was thinking on it and reading many C63/AMG hand built motor owners bash the C43 AMG for it's non V8 and non hand built engine being the essence of it not being an AMG in the process of making my decision. Why do I come to that reality? It's named that from Mercedes Benz the company who made our cars.
Welcome. Congrats on the C63! I'm sure it's a complete blast to drive.

I agree completely--MB gets to call it whatever they want and that's it. I never did understand the "it doesn't have a V8" argument. By that logic, the CLA45 with its 4 banger isn't a "real" AMG even though it does have a hand-built engine. Or, one could just say it's not a real AMG unless it has a V12 like the S65. Even within the category of hand-built engine AMGs, there are differences in engines, performance, and features so it doesn't make sense to bash the C43 just because it doesn't perform as well as a C63. Of course it doesn't and people generally don't make that claim.

I think it boils down to the fact that there is a (I would guess relatively small) group of AMG owners who can't stand the fact that Mercedes is making the AMG brand a bit less exclusive by adding more models at a lower price point. It's understandable, but why be so hostile towards people who did buy one of those models?
The following 2 users liked this post by MDSkiBum:
ASH_C43 (03-10-2017), bweinber (03-12-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 C63 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by MDSkiBum
Welcome. Congrats on the C63! I'm sure it's a complete blast to drive.

I agree completely--MB gets to call it whatever they want and that's it. I never did understand the "it doesn't have a V8" argument. By that logic, the CLA45 with its 4 banger isn't a "real" AMG even though it does have a hand-built engine. Or, one could just say it's not a real AMG unless it has a V12 like the S65. Even within the category of hand-built engine AMGs, there are differences in engines, performance, and features so it doesn't make sense to bash the C43 just because it doesn't perform as well as a C63. Of course it doesn't and people generally don't make that claim.

I think it boils down to the fact that there is a (I would guess relatively small) group of AMG owners who can't stand the fact that Mercedes is making the AMG brand a bit less exclusive by adding more models at a lower price point. It's understandable, but why be so hostile towards people who did buy one of those models?
I appreciate the warm welcome! I think you hit on the head in the last paragraph. Some people buy into the exclusivity of the brand. And when the brand decides to open the doors a little wider and let it be more attainable I think that puts some people In an argumentive state of confusion. Hell I used to buy Rock&Republic Jeans at Nordstrom and Neimun Marcus for $200 a pop. The second I walked Into a Kohl's and saw the jeans for $39.99 I was like are you kidding me. I gave them all to charity. Lol. Now with that being said I'm not giving away my C63 just because Mercedes wants to make a few more different market AMG models. That in my opinion aren't really any harder or less obtainable then some of it's higher end models. Like let's be real here. $65k or so for C43AMG and $75k for a C63? I think it comes down to preference at that point and not wanting something so demanding on the driver. IMO
Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Coming from the Four Rings world, and this being my first MB, was very odd to see the civil war going on between the two groups. Guess with Audi the models are more concise and you don't have a shared nomenclature like "AMG" which was initially meant for a certain type of vehicle. Would be the equivalent of my previous S4 suddenly being labelled an S4RS or something, lol.

Either way I get reasons for separating the two from a compatibility standpoint where threads don't relate to the entire sub-forum, but the comments from the other end toward 450/43 owners was quite a turn off. Watched a simple MPG question thread go to hell because of that attitude.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:13 AM

2012 C63 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by mhenry
Coming from the Four Rings world, and this being my first MB, was very odd to see the civil war going on between the two groups. Guess with Audi the models are more concise and you don't have a shared nomenclature like "AMG" which was initially meant for a certain type of vehicle. Would be the equivalent of my previous S4 suddenly being labelled an S4RS or something, lol.

Either way I get reasons for separating the two from a compatibility standpoint where threads don't relate to the entire sub-forum, but the comments from the other end toward 450/43 owners was quite a turn off. Watched a simple MPG question thread go to hell because of that attitude.
I recently sold my 2008 Audi S4 and I do slightly remember a lot of guys getting bashed for putting the "S" badge on the trunk of there car even with the car have an S appearance package. It was a rock it with A4 badge or remove the badges completely mindset. So I'm sure it was a little less rediculed but still the same logic here. In all fairness Mercedes at least identified the car as an AMG. And Audi did not put an S badge on the car identifying the car as an S performance vehicle. Besides some that have the S Line side badging. I just woke up so I hope this is making sense. "One eye open"😂
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
I recently sold my 2008 Audi S4 and I do slightly remember a lot of guys getting bashed for putting the "S" badge on the trunk of there car even with the car have an S appearance package. It was a rock it with A4 badge or remove the badges completely mindset. So I'm sure it was a little less rediculed but still the same logic here. In all fairness Mercedes at least identified the car as an AMG. And Audi did not put an S badge on the car identifying the car as an S performance vehicle. Besides some that have the S Line side badging. I just woke up so I hope this is making sense. "One eye open"😂
I think the difference there is the owner themselves doing that is misleading. S-Line A4s specifically came with an S-Line badge on front fenders so no issue there. Still says A4 on rear and s-line is known to be the appearance package only. But putting your own S emblem beside the A to make it say "S4" is a little.... different, lol.

In our case this is from MB directly. Not like we are purposely slapping on AMG badges. Almost seems as if we are suppose to de-badge the car from factory now, lol.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 AM

2012 C63 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by mhenry
I think the difference there is the owner themselves doing that is misleading. S-Line A4s specifically came with an S-Line badge on front fenders so no issue there. Still says A4 on rear and s-line is known to be the appearance package only. But putting your own S emblem beside the A to make it say "S4" is a little.... different, lol.

In our case this is from MB directly. Not like we are purposely slapping on AMG badges. Almost seems as if we are suppose to de-badge the car from factory now, lol.
Agreed!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
The transmission makes it a real amg
The following users liked this post:
unr1 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Mbm6f
On the BMW forum I never got **** for having a 1M front clip on my 135, and the 1M and 135 shared the same forum fine.
Wait... the 1M and 135 have different forums. As does the 128. And that's exactly what I'm talking about... we needed a separate c63 forum because it's simply a different engine.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
Welp maybe it's been a while or I was mistaken. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Uh, whut? Overheard in Vance, Alabama: "Cletus, pass me that pig...."
Old 03-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
New to the Forum.. Wazzzup! No but on a serious note as a C63 owner. I was in a big debate on whether to purchase a C450/C43 AMG and I decided to go the C63 route. But as I was thinking on it and reading many C63/AMG hand built motor owners bash the C43 AMG for it's non V8 and non hand built engine being the essence of it not being an AMG in the process of making my decision. I have concluded IMO I have to say that it is in fact an AMG car. Why do I come to that reality? It's named that from Mercedes Benz the company who made our cars. Now idk about all of you but who am I to say otherwise then what Mercedes and AMG say it is. But with that being said is it a full on AMG vehicle? "You know what I mean!" I say it is and it isn't only and I mean only because it doesn't have the hand built engine and other tweeks. But to call it what it's not is absurd. It's apart of the AMG family IMO end of story. Don't believe me ask Mercedes if it is or isn't. They'll probably say did you buy it new? And you might say yes. And they might say did it have an AMG badge on the trunk lid? And you will probably say yes. And they'll probably say did that answer your question. Let's focus on that fact we all own a piece of the best car manufacturer again IMO in the world. Don't believe me again ask Lewis Hamilton. Lol This post probably doesn't make much sense. But hell I tried to get my point across.
Readup

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...mg/engine.html
Old 03-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by ab0bab0i
What's your point? That same site lists the AMG models. These are kind of interesting:
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...s-amg_c63.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...ass_sedan.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...ass_coupe.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...cabriolet.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...lk_55_amg.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...v/amg_glc.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...le_63_amg.html
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...e63_coupe.html

Or this, saying the *43's engine is an AMG engine: http://www.mercedes-amg.com/engineer...=eng#/creation
Old 03-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
If we're taking excerpts from that, I guess the early M156's aren't really AMG's because in my mind an engine built with defective head bolts doesn't meet strict quality standards.

Who cares, AMG's are meant to be performers and sportier than the rest of the lineup, and the C43 delivers.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mbm6f:
mhenry (03-13-2017), sean1.8t (03-31-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by ab0bab0i
Reading comprehension lacking?

From your link....

Mercedes-AMG: One Man. One Engine.
We believe that a precise and meticulous approach to manufacturing is the best way to guarantee top performance. That is why every single AMG engine is built applying the same philosophy: One Man, One Engine.
No one here attempts to say that the C43 has an AMG engine including the person you quoted. It's an AMG car nonetheless. Even the website you used to prove a point says that.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43 C205
Actually the A45, CLA45 and GLA45 owners should be happy that they are no longer being called 'not real AMGs'
Old 03-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Anyone remember the 1st AMG to hit these shores? Was it not the "Hammer"? AMG had a lot more to do with tuning back then. Suspension, brakes, engine, etc....so the C43 seems to be what AMG was back then wasn't it.

Personally, the slippery slope started with the 4 cylinder AMG, as ferocious as they are. The interiors are econocar. But they have have been tuned to the max, so, yes, AMG it is I guess...
The following users liked this post:
mhenry (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
993, 996, NA miata, GLC
Originally Posted by bweinber
The best is the claim that calling the C43 an AMG is just marketing to sell more cars. What do they think "one man one engine" is? Ha!

It's a bit more of a pain to browse all three threads. The difference is not as big as the difference between vacation photos in Asia and Europe. It's like the difference between vacation photos in Rome and Florence.
It's just a car. Does some random person's opinion of your car on the internet matter to you that much ?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by Big Goober
Reading comprehension lacking?

No one here attempts to say that the C43 has an AMG engine including the person you quoted. It's an AMG car nonetheless. Even the website you used to prove a point says that.
Then Goob's alarm clock went off. Keep dreamin', Goober.

But I know you feel much better about yourself with that AMG badge.......precisely the marketing ploy the Benz Suits knew would reel 'em in.

Still, ain't no frickin AMG. Translation? It's like when I pour loads of Aunt Jemima syrup over my dog's pile of poop in the garage. Does not make it a pile of pancakes no matter how much I wish it would.

Damn, some of y'all mothers are hardheaded. Sheesh!

The irony? While we are better than a Bimmer M-Sport or an Audi S model.........we're no better than a Bimmer M-Sport or an Audi S model posing a full-on BMW M or Audi RS car.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Former Member

CLS
Enjoy your breakfast....
Old 03-14-2017, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Why you guys persist in expelling energy (and insults) arguing over this is beyond me. As far as I can tell it doesn't add any value to this forum...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Former Member

CLS
Really...I hope the guy enjoys his dog steamers. One man, one pig!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:57 AM

2017 AMG C43
BRBM,

Now I know your reading skills are lacking.

Never mentioned caring about the AMG badge just as the last guy you went after never mentioned that it was an AMG engine which is what your reply was about. I could care care less what badge the car has. I went into the dealer looking for a C300 as a first MB but didn't want a four banger. The C43's V6 suited me fine with great performance to boot.

Is the AMG badge a marketing ploy? Absolutely. I'm sure it will reel some in, but that is the point of marketing. The AMG badge on any car is a marketing ploy just as those who walk around with clothes emblazoned with the oversized logos.

Point was- Mercedes gets to call their cars what they want, marketing or not. One can fight the naming all they want, but ultimately MB gets to call it. They could have put a VW symbol on it and I still would have bought the car's performance and looks. Did I have to pay more with the MB badge and the AMG badge on the car? Yep, but I sure wish they weren't there so I could have saved thousands.

Imagine what the back and forth was like at corporate! This is nothing.

Now, hard-headed? Yep, you got me there.

Last edited by Big Goober; 03-14-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 AM

2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by Vipershade
Why you guys persist in expelling energy (and insults) arguing over this is beyond me. As far as I can tell it doesn't add any value to this forum...

But it does add a little entertainment, right?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM

2012 C63 AMG (Sold)
Just let the man drive his car already in AMG peace of mind. Just give it to him already!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Some people on these boards take their cars too seriously ... guess that is where enthusiast and fanboy blends together

Last edited by PeterUbers; 03-14-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Finally, a place where C63 owners won't say "C43 isn't a real AMG"!!