Sponsored by:

Tuning on a lease?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mustang GT
Tuning on a lease?

Hi guys so i just bought a new C43 white with red interior. I love it. I leased it, is it possible to tune it without getting into problems when its time to trade it in or service? and if their isn't what tune do you guys recommend.

Added the stripes
Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
It's fine and dandy canvasing for collective "experience" on a forum, but why not ask your dealer these questions?
They will be the one who ultimately answers your questions.

Ps; no need to tune... race stripe adds +50HP!

Last edited by 1Gunner; 03-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gabe.m (03-21-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I love the broken hood stripe a'la Edition 1. Did you buy a decal kit or DIY? I'm looking to go a yellow broken stripe just like that over my gray Sprinter. I was going to buy a 6" stripe and a 1" stripe.
To answer your question bluntly, you are on your own with a tune. If you take your car off of factory parameters, and something fails that could be related to the tune, MB will disclaim your ***. There are quite a few threads about different programs from AMR, Dinan, Vivid, ect. Some are piggy backs, some are full tune where you ship them an ECU. No one on these board has blown up a w205 to my knowledge yet, but thats a chance you take when trying to stretch more power than the factory intended.
Its kind of like the chance you take when driving your Mustang. At any given moment, your car can careen off the road into a crowd of people during a cars and coffee. . .

Welcome.

Last edited by cenzo86; 03-19-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: gif didnt load
Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I'm sorry in advance for killing load time for this page but it's going to die quickly anyway.
I had to put more of these up

If you risked driving your Mustang, knowing that this is what they do, then I say tune you brand new car warranty be damned!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Don't tune it. I'm pretty certain it's against the lease agreement and you could end up in trouble if they discover it based on the terms agreed to at time of less inception.

Also, there are tons of guys that enjoy buying pre-owned cars and look for a car with a clean history. You're pretty much hiding extra stress and wear and tear to the engine that the second owner can not reasonably anticipate with any kind of tune you put on during your lease. It's not a fair thing to do in my opinion.

Also, that stripe looks awesome. I was never a fan of polar white but with that accent stripe, I'm really feeling it.
The following users liked this post:
Mbm6f (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 01:57 PM

2015 Mustang GT
Thank you guys for all the help. haha I used to own a mustang GT before I bought this.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

2015 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by cenzo86
I love the broken hood stripe a'la Edition 1. Did you buy a decal kit or DIY? I'm looking to go a yellow broken stripe just like that over my gray Sprinter. I was going to buy a 6" stripe and a 1" stripe.
To answer your question bluntly, you are on your own with a tune. If you take your car off of factory parameters, and something fails that could be related to the tune, MB will disclaim your ***. There are quite a few threads about different programs from AMR, Dinan, Vivid, ect. Some are piggy backs, some are full tune where you ship them an ECU. No one on these board has blown up a w205 to my knowledge yet, but thats a chance you take when trying to stretch more power than the factory intended.
Its kind of like the chance you take when driving your Mustang. At any given moment, your car can careen off the road into a crowd of people during a cars and coffee. . .

Welcome.

I got it custom done at a wrap shop in south florida CKwraps
Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
On paper you're not supposed to. Technically you're not supposed to alter the car in any way, lease or not, or you could run into warranty issues.

Buuuuuut, that doesn't stop a lot of people from going forward with such actions. Many dealers won't care unless there is an issue with the car and they can associate the problem with certain mods.

But if you do have an issue, you do have the ability to ship your ECU (or remove piggyback tune) in to have it flashed back to stock before you take the car to the dealer. To my understanding, only if they (dealership) send your ECU back to HQ in Germany, they won't know what was done to the ECU.

FWIW: I'm on a lease and am currently tuned. I'm paying a lot of money for this car and I'm going to enjoy it how I want. These tunes are pretty mild in all relativity. I'm not worried about it.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
if you want to do something , Id suggest the Dinan piggyback which has just been released and can be installed and removed if you wish in basically 2 minutes. Its a little HP and torque bump for $299 and your dealer likely will never nknow it was on, just remove it prior to service. that is my 2 cents, I wouldn't do a flash on a brand new car as it will have a "fingerprint" your dealer will see
Old 03-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
From what I was told by my tuner, the only way for the dealer to find out is if they take apart the ECU and ship it to HQ in Germany, which for them is way too much work aka the tune cannot really be detected. I tuned my lease and have had zero issues yet (knock on wood) lol so it just comes down to personal preference. I agree with the previous comment about having the car how you want it. I love my stage 1 tune! It makes the car way more enjoyable and I can get programmed to stock whenever I want/need to free of charge. I think it is worth it
Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
It's being discussed on other forums here that any tune, even a piggyback, is detectable today.

You can swap out tunes and even the ecu itself, but the facts seem to be, there are variables stored outside of the ecu that give evidence to aftermarket performance tunes.

Its a roll of the dice no matter how you play it today, as its a simple obd plug away from being discovered.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by Mike450
It's being discussed on other forums here that any tune, even a piggyback, is detectable today.

You can swap out tunes and even the ecu itself, but the facts seem to be, there are variables stored outside of the ecu that give evidence to aftermarket performance tunes.

Its a roll of the dice no matter how you play it today, as its a simple obd plug away from being discovered.

and Im sure that is true to some extent. I can say however (so far) I have had my car in twice for service, once to get a software update and I removed my unit both times and nobody has said anything to me about "something " being on the car. So, either they aren't looking or it isn't leaving a trace sort a speak
Old 03-21-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by subzero05
and Im sure that is true to some extent. I can say however (so far) I have had my car in twice for service, once to get a software update and I removed my unit both times and nobody has said anything to me about "something " being on the car. So, either they aren't looking or it isn't leaving a trace sort a speak
I would not doubt that at all.

But considering MBUSA has a term for the vin's they've determined to be tuned, status 8, I'm hesitate to think they're blind to a piggyback also. But it may be true. We won't know until a piggyback car gets flagged.

And to be clear, I'm only encouraging those who may be inclined, and are concerned about warranty implications, to do some research.