Sponsored by:

No aftermarket intake options for M276 V6 Biturbo Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 AMG c43 coupe
No aftermarket intake options for M276 V6 Biturbo Engine

Over the last few weeks I've been researching intake options for the M276 v6 biturbo Engine platform. Too make a long story short, there aren't any. AWE tuning was working on an S Flow carbon model, but decided to can-it because the price point would have been too high.

What I cant understand is why there is no aftermarket support for this product. The engine itself isn't new and has been found in multiple mercedes models over the last few years. Other vehicles (non MB) with less tuning potential have aftermarket support. An upgraded intake is a basic bolt on power modification that it seems many would have an appetite for, even if power gains were nominal. Because our vehicle uses a MAP sensor vs MAF (which i believe allows the sensor to be placed with more freedom), has anyone considered mocking up their own intake setup? I've taken the entire intake system apart and it looks very, very restrictive. If a vendor were to release an intake I think it would sell very well. Am I missing something?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by W205C43AMGCoupe
Over the last few weeks I've been researching intake options for the M276 v6 biturbo Engine platform. Too make a long story short, there aren't any. AWE tuning was working on an S Flow carbon model, but decided to can-it because the price point would have been too high.

What I cant understand is why there is no aftermarket support for this product. The engine itself isn't new and has been found in multiple mercedes models over the last few years. Other vehicles (non MB) with less tuning potential have aftermarket support. An upgraded intake is a basic bolt on power modification that it seems many would have an appetite for, even if power gains were nominal. Because our vehicle uses a MAP sensor vs MAF (which i believe allows the sensor to be placed with more freedom), has anyone considered mocking up their own intake setup? I've taken the entire intake system apart and it looks very, very restrictive. If a vendor were to release an intake I think it would sell very well. Am I missing something?
Is it really restrictive though? Go dyno your car and do a few pulls stock, then take the intake completely off and do a few pulls. See what the gains will be. I would argue that intakes have become fairly pointless since manufacturers have been making good ones lately. Gains are generally minimal. I doubt the market is there. If it make a small gain of hp for a premium price, people will pass. It is the same for the m177. The only intake option I'm aware of costs a couple grand
Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 AMG c43 coupe
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
Is it really restrictive though? Go dyno your car and do a few pulls stock, then take the intake completely off and do a few pulls. See what the gains will be. I would argue that intakes have become fairly pointless since manufacturers have been making good ones lately. Gains are generally minimal. I doubt the market is there. If it make a small gain of hp for a premium price, people will pass. It is the same for the m177. The only intake option I'm aware of costs a couple grand
Its difficult to answer that question with real evidence as I don't have the equipment to test airflow. In my opinion based off looking at the design of the intake tubing, it appears there could be much less restrictive design options. The airboxes themselves have a lot of baffling internally and unnecessary curves that cut off airflo. The intake piping is very narrow. I I'm no engineer, but the intake and airbox design seems overly complicated. The piping coming into the cold side of the turbo goes backward towards the rear of the engine where the air boxes sit on top of the hot engine and then the piping goes back forward over the hot engine, connecting with the radiator support cowl. Why not just run a short piece of piping off the turbo with a cone filter at the end, placed right in front of the air flow coming off the radiator cowl and extend the MAP sensor to tap into that piping. I understand the risk of water getting into the filter-that's a separate issue. I think there is a market, but i agree not one at a $1,000 + price point. Coming from VW's and BMW's in the past, i'm finding the Mercedes tuning community leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG C43
W205, you're not the only one, believe me. I had been looking for the same thing as the intake was usually the first thing replaced to add volume for the turbos. I do t see how there isn't room for power since this setup looks very restrictive.

As as for the lack of tuning in the MB community, yep. At first I attributed it to having a small segment car, but I don't see much variety in the C300 or the C63 either.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
I agree 100% with this ^

Our motor could probably benefit slightly with better filters, but I doubt and entirely new intake setup is going to increase power output enough to justify what will certainly be a hefty price point.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
aftermarket air intakes are generally a waste of money from a performance stand point.

I do enjoy more noise or the subtle change to throttle response some of these system have.

I removed the fins in the air boxes - to no noticeable difference.