Sponsored by:

Tire Upgrade~ Factory 19" Rims ~ Suggestions Requested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Tire Upgrade~ Factory 19" Rims ~ Suggestions Requested

My SINCERE apologies for the redundancy here regarding the requested tire replacement information

I have used the search feature and although there is considerable information, it is all over the place and I want to get this done this month

My vehicle has the 19" Pirelli P-Zero Run-Flats that need to be replaced due solely to the fact that I feel like I'm driving on plastic tires and don't like them

I'd like to put the largest sized tires that will fit on my current rims, and will replace them with the run-flats at lease turn in (unless there is any value in them, in which case I would "trade them in" so to speak against the new ones I purchase)

The Michelin Pilots seem popular, but I an wide open to suggestions

I am ignorant to the use of "spacers" which is frequently mentioned in the tire replacement threads, so whether this is necessary or not I could use your help

Also, I would be most likely to do the swap at my dealer (I prefer to use my dealer for all service)

After speaking with my service representative last week (after fixing 2 bent rims that got damaged with 500 miles on my vehicle in the first week I got it) he suggested going on Tire Rack and picking the tires I wanted and they would get them and install

That does not help me

He had no recommendation, I don't know the difference and prefer to reach out for help rather than just winging it

I'm retired and don't need to drive in snow, even when staying in my winter home so there is really no need for an all season performance tire, what I want is a high performance tire that will be great in summer and reliable in cold weather on dry roads

As previously mentioned, I will put the run-flats back on when trading out of my car in a few years or when the new tires wear down to the point they need to be replaced

Thank you in advance!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimmy C43:
mhenry (05-05-2017), Mully78 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
go for the new Michelin PS4S. It's pretty much the best street summer tire you can buy.

There are some decent alternatives, but the aforementioned tire is the holy grail.

I wouldn't really recommend upsizing the tires as it will not increase the performance without a wider wheel to mount them on. If anything, it can be a detriment to performance because of the increase sidewall flex.

Last edited by alexasa; 05-01-2017 at 07:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by alexasa:
Jimmy C43 (05-01-2017), Mully78 (05-01-2017), OC6.3AMG (05-05-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Reliable in cold weather on dry roads?

how cold are we talking
Old 05-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 AMG C43
Originally Posted by unr1
Reliable in cold weather on dry roads?

how cold are we talking
Well below zero for months sometimes, US side of Lake Ontario
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
At or near freezing temps you'll need an all season tire, I believe the rubber compound of summer tires can crack and be damaged below freezing. The PS4S is an amazing tire but won't work for your use case, try the Pilot Sport A/S.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy C43 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450
Consider using Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06. Got them with my new wheels, worked extremely well in the cold/snow this past season.
Jimmy C43 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I'm running Michelin Pilot AS3+ on my C450. They perform better than most summer performance tires in dry conditions. They are excellent in cold weather and rain. They are adequate for light snow and ice.

The MPAS3+ tires perform much better than the stock 19" Conti summer performance runflats did. MPSS or MPS4S will yield slightly better performance than the MPAS3+... until the temps drop. Once the mercury dips they will lose quite a bit of grip and will also wear more quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. J:
Jimmy C43 (05-04-2017), unr1 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 01:15 AM

C43
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I'm running Michelin Pilot AS3+ on my C450. They perform better than most summer performance tires in dry conditions. They are excellent in cold weather and rain. They are adequate for light snow and ice.

The MPAS3+ tires perform much better than the stock 19" Conti summer performance runflats did. MPSS or MPS4S will yield slightly better performance than the MPAS3+... until the temps drop. Once the mercury dips they will lose quite a bit of grip and will also wear more quickly.
Good info, I'm thinking of getting a set. How is the ride quality compared to the stock Conti's?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Jimmy C43
My SINCERE apologies for the redundancy here regarding the requested tire replacement information

I have used the search feature and although there is considerable information, it is all over the place and I want to get this done this month

My vehicle has the 19" Pirelli P-Zero Run-Flats that need to be replaced due solely to the fact that I feel like I'm driving on plastic tires and don't like them

I'd like to put the largest sized tires that will fit on my current rims, and will replace them with the run-flats at lease turn in (unless there is any value in them, in which case I would "trade them in" so to speak against the new ones I purchase)

The Michelin Pilots seem popular, but I an wide open to suggestions

I am ignorant to the use of "spacers" which is frequently mentioned in the tire replacement threads, so whether this is necessary or not I could use your help

Also, I would be most likely to do the swap at my dealer (I prefer to use my dealer for all service)

After speaking with my service representative last week (after fixing 2 bent rims that got damaged with 500 miles on my vehicle in the first week I got it) he suggested going on Tire Rack and picking the tires I wanted and they would get them and install

That does not help me

He had no recommendation, I don't know the difference and prefer to reach out for help rather than just winging it

I'm retired and don't need to drive in snow, even when staying in my winter home so there is really no need for an all season performance tire, what I want is a high performance tire that will be great in summer and reliable in cold weather on dry roads

As previously mentioned, I will put the run-flats back on when trading out of my car in a few years or when the new tires wear down to the point they need to be replaced

Thank you in advance!
Jimmy I just recently took off the stock run flats and went with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (PS4S). Only took delivery end of Feb but knew I wanted them off (and I am no tire snob, just initial feeling. Just hated the stiffness, crunching sound in the morning when a little cold, noise level to name a few.)

Best decision I have made. These PS4S are much more forgiving over bumps, quieter, feels much smoother in regards to takeoff and acceleration, handling is superior (tried both dry and wet with some aggressive turns). Difference was night and day. Definitely recommend doing same. Right now they were cheaper than the current PSS but can't go wrong with those either.

Last edited by mhenry; 05-05-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: punctuation
Jimmy C43 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mhenry
Jimmy I just recently took off the stock run flats and went with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (PS4S). Only took delivery end of Feb but knew I wanted them off (and I am no tire snob, just initial feeling. Just hated the stiffness, crunching sound in the morning when a little cold, noise level to name a few.)

Best decision I have made. These PS4S are much more forgiving over bumps, quieter, feels much smoother in regards to takeoff and acceleration, handling is superior (tried both dry and wet with some aggressive turns). Difference was night and day. Definitely recommend doing same. Right now they were cheaper than the current PSS but can't go wrong with those either.
just to be sure. What size(s) did you use?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by unr1
just to be sure. What size(s) did you use?
I stayed with the same stock configuration:
​​​​​​
225/40 19 up front
255/35 19 in the rear
Old 05-05-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43

P4S is a great tire, but it's not the one OP wants to run. Using a high performance summer tire in below freezing temps is no good (compound will be hard and lose grip) and Michelin specifically says that running the P4S in those conditions will damage the tire.
Jimmy C43 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 PM

I stayed with the same stock configuration:
​​​​​​
225/40 19 up front
255/35 19 in the rear
thanks
Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by omg516
Good info, I'm thinking of getting a set. How is the ride quality compared to the stock Conti's?
For dry grip they are equal. For wet grip the AS3+ are much better. Same for cold weather. Road noise is about equal. The AS3+ are slightly less jarring on the bumps than the Conti runflats but this is very subtle (to me) and not a huge difference.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 X5 35i Msport
should i opt for the 19 inch wheels or will the 18s be fine?i live in NYC and pot holes are my worst enemy.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM

C43
Originally Posted by Ali Shahini
should i opt for the 19 inch wheels or will the 18s be fine?i live in NYC and pot holes are my worst enemy.
I'd argue that they are more than fine, they would be better for driving in NYC.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Ali Shahini
18s are less likely to get warped by potholes.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ducati Multistrada 1200 GT
Originally Posted by Mr. J
18s are less likely to get warped by potholes.
Would it also be safe to assume that 18s provide slightly softer ride compared to 19s?