Sponsored by:

How is the c43 after a Renntech tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
How is the c43 after a Renntech tune?

Wanted to know for those who have the Renntech tune how big of a difference is it? Renntech claims a peak of 416hp with 460 lb-ft after the tune. I understand for $2300 there are cheaper alternatives for more hp/lb-ft but the fact it doesn't void the warranty is very appealing.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Vincent Aiosa
Wanted to know for those who have the Renntech tune how big of a difference is it? Renntech claims a peak of 416hp with 460 lb-ft after the tune. I understand for $2300 there are cheaper alternatives for more hp/lb-ft but the fact it doesn't void the warranty is very appealing.
Doesn't void the warranty? You might wanna research that one a bit more
Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I would be wary when saying it does not void warranty.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tech-tune.html

All modifications to cars under warranty can void it, it just depends on the dealer. (:

-Tiff
Old 05-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Oh boy ... why isn't there a FAQ or sticky for these players that want to mod their cars and not be responsible for any damage the tune causes to the car? I.e. Does it void my warranty? (Not talking about the OP but just people in general)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Let me clarify what I was told. I was struggling between the c43 and c63s, going in for different test drives and what not. The GM was near me and asked if I had any questions, told him I love both cars but theirs pros and cons for both (for what's practical for me). He said if power is your concern we offer a Renntech tune we can install and it will not void the warranty. However, since there is basically a black box in these cars he'd be able to tell the last 7 times it was used and if i was beating the **** out of it. That would be a factor but tune itself will not void it.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Let me clarify what I was told. I was struggling between the c43 and c63s, going in for different test drives and what not. The GM was near me and asked if I had any questions, told him I love both cars but theirs pros and cons for both (for what's practical for me). He said if power is your concern we offer a Renntech tune we can install and it will not void the warranty. However, since there is basically a black box in these cars he'd be able to tell the last 7 times it was used and if i was beating the **** out of it. That would be a factor but tune itself will not void it.
Don't take any more advice from that guy.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Don't take any more advice from that guy.
My dealer (Mercedes Benz of Rocklin) is a direct dealer in renntech parts, and I was told, by all three dealerships, if done through them, warranty wouldn't be voided. So basically YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
lozersk8er (04-20-2020)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Bmw
You can get a tune but can't beat on it as in taking advantage of the tune? I am really confused now.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Too many
dealers can tell you what they want but it is out of their hands most of the time.
all companies are getting more aggressive with tuned cars and denying warranty work . For most of the major stuff the dealer has to communicate with regional MB people to authorize repair etc
even brakes , MB demand sending them to factory for inspection , to make sure dealer did the right work
Look at it from the company's angle. They are giving you warranty for 4 years/50,000 miles
on a product that they tested themselves ,
despite the fact that you can extract more power from the engine, it does not mean they will take the risk for you
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43. 2006 Ford GT. 2017 Wrangler. 2010 S4
My dealer is a Renntech distributor and also said it will not void the warranty; however, my understanding is that it's not really up to the dealer. If something major happens (like you blow your engine), your dealer will not be the one who decides whether it is covered, that decision will be made by people higher up - And at that point, it does not matter what your dealer told you.

Again this is simply what I've been told and come to understand from researching the hell out of it, who knows how it would play out in reality, but I personally would not assume that your warranty is good to go with a Renntech tune.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I had a 2014 BMW 335i with a m performance power tune installed by a dealer shortly after purchasing the vehicle.. the engine ate a piston ring at about 15000 miles ... bmw would not cover there own performance package because the car was not stock even though the dealer told me when I got it that it would be 100% covered.. bmw denied the claim.. I tried sueing them but lost..eventually sold the car to my nephew who was a mechanic for cheap.... don't trust the dealer or even the company!!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
I had a 2014 BMW 335i with a m performance power tune installed by a dealer shortly after purchasing the vehicle.. the engine ate a piston ring at about 15000 miles ... bmw would not cover there own performance package because the car was not stock even though the dealer told me when I got it that it would be 100% covered.. bmw denied the claim.. I tried sueing them but lost..eventually sold the car to my nephew who was a mechanic for cheap.... don't trust the dealer or even the company!!
Woah - you had the dealer install the BMW made M Power Pack and they still wouldn't honor the warranty? I'm so confused...the M Power Pack was a warranty covered option on my 2014 build sheet. Was the reason the warranty not honored because you got the modification post purchase?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5urfer
Woah - you had the dealer install the BMW made M Power Pack and they still wouldn't honor the warranty? I'm so confused...the M Power Pack was a warranty covered option on my 2014 build sheet. Was the reason the warranty not honored because you got the modification post purchase?
They told me it was not covered because the vehicle did not come that way from the factory... therefore the factory warranty does not apply to the engine anymore since it was modified..I know it's possible to get the M power package as on option when building a vehicle but I'm not sure if they consider that different than adding it on after at the dealership.. but it definitely pissed me off!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by sales@eurocharged.com
I would be wary when saying it does not void warranty.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tech-tune.html

All modifications to cars under warranty can void it, it just depends on the dealer. (: -Tiff
Originally Posted by loungn14
Doesn't void the warranty? You might wanna research that one a bit more
The RennTECH tune........it DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. You do your research so that you and Eurocharged don't have to be wary.

#1, RennTECH is about as close as you'll get to an AMG-level bit of work dont. The company was started by Harmut Feyhl (sp) as a condition of becoming boss of AMG N.A. back in the mid-1980s; he wanted to start the company simultaneously.

#2, go to a dealership and ask them about doing Brabus or Carlsson or Lorinser or whomever's work and/or getting their tunes installed by MB........and you might just get directed to RennTECH. As they will say, "because it doesn't void your warranty". I and others have heard it with our own ears, though some would retort, they lied. Not so.

Translation? Yesterdays, pre-1990s AMG is today's RennTECH. Not owned by MB but closely affiliated and coordinated with in terms of 'warrantied' aftermarket work. Get it right.

So there's your research, naysayers. And that may explain the higher price. God forbid there are any problem you won't get the run-around like the unaffiliated aftermarketeers may choose to give you. The ones on MB World trying to exclusively pimp their product.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by BRBM
The RennTECH tune........it DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. You do your research so that you and Eurocharged don't have to be wary.

#1, RennTECH is about as close as you'll get to an AMG-level bit of work dont. The company was started by Harmut Feyhl (sp) as a condition of becoming boss of AMG N.A. back in the mid-1980s; he wanted to start the company simultaneously.

#2, go to a dealership and ask them about doing Brabus or Carlsson or Lorinser or whomever's work and/or getting their tunes installed by MB........and you might just get directed to RennTECH. As they will say, "because it doesn't void your warranty". I and others have heard it with our own ears, though some would retort, they lied. Not so.

Translation? Yesterdays, pre-1990s AMG is today's RennTECH. Not owned by MB but closely affiliated and coordinated with in terms of 'warrantied' aftermarket work. Get it right.

So there's your research, naysayers. And that may explain the higher price. God forbid there are any problem you won't get the run-around like the unaffiliated aftermarketeers may choose to give you. The ones on MB World trying to exclusively pimp their product.
So are you telling me that salesmans don't tell you exactly what you want to hear to make the sale??

We've personally had customers come in switching from RT to us, solely because when purchasing the vehicle they were told it "wouldn't void the warranty". But when they took it in for service, MB told them it voided their warranty. I don't understand, they were told it wouldn't void the warranty. So please explain that so I can grasp how it did???

And as stated above YMMV.

-Tiff
Old 05-09-2017, 12:13 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo

lol

I would suggest going to the AMG Private Lounge. There is a pretty good post from the current director of AMG as well as one of the high ups of MBNA that states it does void the warranty. Also the thread indicated in the first posts that show that customers did indeed get flagged.

But as you indicated above, you know better
Old 05-09-2017, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
The RennTECH tune........it DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY.
Can you provide MB corporate documentation supporting this claim? If so, awesome! Until then, 100% YMMV and any dealer can choose not to cover an engine related failure claiming it was a result of the tune. As stated on the Renntech warranty page - "A manufacturer can still deny a claim if they deem that the aftermarket component installed caused the problem." Everything written after that is all sales language as to why Renntech is a reliable tuner. Nothing wrong with that. However, any statement (read: your statement above) that claims MB has an obligation to fix an engine related problem when a tune is present is flat out incorrect.
The following 2 users liked this post by RichardCranium3:
Lionel_Hutz (05-09-2017), loungn14 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
if its a flash there is a VERY good chance it can and will void the warranty.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by subzero05
.....And an AM CPU flash can be traced even if should you reflash back to stock.

Wishful thinking to think otherwise.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by subzero05
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
.....And an AM CPU flash can be traced even if should you reflash back to stock.

Wishful thinking to think otherwise.
It seems any tune thread heads this direction, no matter what platform forum it is, and no matter how many identical posts have come before them. There should be a general sticky specifically about this stuff to help prevent the complete derailing of threads and blatant misinformation. There are stupid people out there that read forums and take the word of every Joe Monkeywrench as gospel...just trying to do my friendly duty to mitigate unrealistic expectations and crushed dreams.

MB isn't going "void your warranty" for a tune. You'll still be able to get your A/C, COMAND screen, window button, etc, fixed if it fails. But they'll have every right to refuse repair of an engine related failure that would be otherwise normally covered without finding evidence of a tune. It's a matter of being realistic as to how big of an umbrella an "engine related" issue could be. Cause and effect...downstream consequences of additional boost, remapping of shift points and engine timing. MB (or any manufacturer) does not have your best interest in mind when it comes to a warranty fix.

Last edited by RichardCranium3; 05-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bayard (09-07-2020)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Just a note, my dealer is also an authorized RennTECH installer/distributor. The only reason I would actually go with RennTech is due to their history with Mercedes and their vehicles. A lot of their tunes for mercedes vehicles seem to be mild and not ridiculous, as some tuners who have posted number for this platform at like 80+ hp gain and 100+tq. Not sure how long the engine would hold up without strengthening internal parts.

I will be in the market for a tune pretty soon, and seems like the DC/DMV dealers that I have spoken to are mod friendly towards RennTech parts/modifications vs. others.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Ha!

Sounds like the warranty will be intact as long as nothing goes wrong and the second it does they will blame it on you.

Sounds like a scam.

However, if the software is good - there should be nothing to worry about. Most of the issues with tunes, in general, have been associated with the actual flashing/reflashing of the ECU, not the actual aggressiveness of the tune.

Last edited by alexasa; 05-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 Jeep Wrangler
Man this site is brutal. 21 posts and not one person actually answered op. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks as I'm about to pull the trigger on a 18 C43 and it's almost impossible to get strait answers in any of these threads.

Soooo does anyone that actually has a Renntech tune want to share their experiences? This has to be by far one of the safest tunes out there and will most likely be what I go with despite the price.

And anyone thinking MB will warranty anything with a tune I got some nice water front property to sell you. The "warranty" is from the tuner (in this case renntech), which is assuming liability and is basically saying they will cover it if something goes wrong. But either way I wouldn't have any faith in it and would just assume you are SOL either way.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by I almost I
Man this site is brutal. 21 posts and not one person actually answered op. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks as I'm about to pull the trigger on a 18 C43 and it's almost impossible to get strait answers in any of these threads.

Soooo does anyone that actually has a Renntech tune want to share their experiences? This has to be by far one of the safest tunes out there and will most likely be what I go with despite the price.

And anyone thinking MB will warranty anything with a tune I got some nice water front property to sell you. The "warranty" is from the tuner (in this case renntech), which is assuming liability and is basically saying they will cover it if something goes wrong. But either way I wouldn't have any faith in it and would just assume you are SOL either way.
Happens everywhere to an extent. I'd rather be labeled brutal, factual and honest than blatantly spread misinformation.

The OP does mention warranty in his post. To your point, the warranty is with Renntech and MB has no obligations. One might find a certain level of comfort in that, but it's best to be informed where to lay that comfort should the worst happen. In the end, it's pay to play anyways.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
If one is worried about warranty, why would you pay $2,300 for the paltry gains from a RennTECH reflash (which most likely voids the Mercedes warranty)...

...when instead one could simply get a Dinan piggy-back for only $300 and get about the same power gains, AND it takes all of 5 minutes to remove from the car...with NO ECU REFLASH.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is the c43 after a Renntech tune?