Sponsored by:

C43 AMG VS BMW 340i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 X5 35i Msport
C43 AMG VS BMW 340i

what are your thoughts on these two and which one would you go for ?
Old 05-13-2017, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
I love how the bimmer looks, M-Sport is a must, and drives. It's easily the best driving car out of the big German 3 (c43/340i/S4). But the interior, that hasn't been updated for like 20 years now, and the AWD system is the worst of the 3. It's strait garbage actually. I could have lived with the interior as it's still nice, but I spend 60+ days driving up to ski resorts here in Utah and need to have confidence in my car.

Have you checked out the 440i Gran Coupe? If I didn't want the best AWD system, or was buying a RWD car, I would most likely be driving one of those right now.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
Originally Posted by Ali Shahini
what are your thoughts on these two and which one would you go for ?
The BMW drives very well, but "old" interior as already mencioned. Also you won't get the sound... The BMW is an older model, and is most likely to be replaced soon. So I guess I don't have to say which one I would choose...
Old 05-13-2017, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by hlieberg
The BMW drives very well, but "old" interior as already mencioned. Also you won't get the sound... The BMW is an older model, and is most likely to be replaced soon. So I guess I don't have to say which one I would choose...
I think the I6 w/ the Msport exhaust sounds pretty good. It's relatively quiet but it has a good tone. remove the cats or a muffler and I bet it would sound sweet.

And the 340 (new engine and a few unnoticeable tidbits) is a claimed "major" refresh from BMW so I'd guess a full new model won't be out for at least 3 years.

Good 'ol BMW, man... They make fantastic [driving] cars, but they like to keep making them over and over for far too long.

I have this idea in the back of my mind that for my next lease I want to get a GLC300 for a daily so I'm not temped to mod it and get an e30 325i with an LSx swap for a fun weekend car. Driving that car stock is so much fun; having a smooth torque monster v8 under the hood would be a f**king blast!!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
I think the I6 w/ the Msport exhaust sounds pretty good. It's relatively quiet but it has a good tone. remove the cats or a muffler and I bet it would sound sweet.

And the 340 (new engine and a few unnoticeable tidbits) is a claimed "major" refresh from BMW so I'd guess a full new model won't be out for at least 3 years.
The current 3-series came on the market in 2011. BMW keeps their models for 6-7 years, so I would guess a new one comes some time in 2018: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/bmw-3-series-2018-next-three-codenamed-g20-revealed/
Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I just drove a coworkers BMW 340 this week. It is a great car. I regret getting my c43 now...the BMW is so much better looking,faster, drives nicer, and sounds better.. and the interior is so nice with all the knobs and buttons from 1985...it also stands out from every other BMW on the road because the style has changed so much from 15 years ago...I'm thinking of trading in my c43 this week.....NOT!!!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM

2017 X5 35i Msport
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
I just drove a coworkers BMW 340 this week. It is a great car. I regret getting my c43 now...the BMW is so much better looking,faster, drives nicer, and sounds better.. and the interior is so nice with all the knobs and buttons from 1985...it also stands out from every other BMW on the road because the style has changed so much from 15 years ago...I'm thinking of trading in my c43 this week.....NOT!!!
Personal all I ever driven or Owned is a BMW. I have a 2017 X5 m sport 35i. I feel the like 3 series interior is so outdated. The exterior is really nice ESP the fact that now full LED is standard. The c43 I think overall is a better car and the fact it's an AMG n not amg sport (like the Msport). Also here in NY every one has a muffler deleted 3series lol
Old 05-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
We had a tuned N54 based Z35i, 400BHP, with the 7 speed DCT box this was a bit of a beast, the Z4 had a little more interesting interior than the standard 3 and 4 series with the retro control layout. However I still very much prefer our standard C43 coupe, better ride control, much nicer interior and more up to date toys, the difference between comfort and sport+ in the C43 is much greater than the equivalent settings in our old BMW, gives you two different cars in one.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43. 2006 Ford GT. 2017 Wrangler. 2010 S4
I feel relatively qualified to help on this thread considering I spent over six months researching to death what my next car would be, and in the end it was narrowed down to the 340i xdrive or C43. The car I was replacing was a 2010 S4, so I would have considered a new S4 as well (especially since the new generation just came out); however, I wanted something different. If you haven't already checked out the S4, then I would consider adding that to your comparison as well.

I will boil down my thoughts regarding the comparison to the following:

Interior: I drove the 340 before ever sitting in a C43. I thought it had a nice interior, nothing particularly unique about it, but it wasn't bad by any means. The M steering wheel felt really nice and meaty which surprised me and the paddles were pretty good. The seats were pretty comfortable, and the center console was clean and functional. It had a small sunroof like my old S4, pretty standard stuff. Overall it felt high quality and nice, but nothing felt special about it.

When I sat in the C43 I immediately felt like I had stepped into something much nicer than the 340: WOW. The C43 interior feels like its a class or two above the 340. The Recaro seats are amazing (in my opinion), you can adjust the side bolsters and thigh bolsters to hug your body perfectly. I LOVE the flat bottomed upgraded AMG steering wheel with the microsuede inserts on the sides. The center console is much more sleek since there is no shifter on it and minimal buttons (it has an electronic column shifter, some people love it, some hate it, I personally love it). The leather feels nicer, especially if you get the Nappa leather. The panoramic roof is AWESOME - it lets in a ton of light, which makes the interior feel much roomier. I could go on, but the point is the interior on the C43 is on a whole different level than the 340's, which again isn't BAD by any means, just not nearly as nice as the C43's.

Performance/Driving: Again, I drove the 340 before the C43. It's pretty much what you would expect from BMW. You can get it in a manual or with a dual clutch transmission (DCT), either of which are great. I drove the DCT and loved it. It shifts lightning quick and the paddle response is excellent. The engine note is definitely nice; HOWEVER, you have to keep in mind that it is unfortunately fake (there is fake engine noise piped through the speakers). As much as I liked the sound, I personally hate the fact that it's not real, and I'm not sure I could get over that as an owner. BMW does offer the MPPS kit which includes an upgraded exhaust, which I think your dealer installs (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but the one I drove didn't have it. The handling is great as you would expect, throttle response and braking are both very good. The suspension didn't feel overly stiff yet still cornered very well. Overall it feels very capable and precise, and is certainly a nice car to drive.

The C43 is simply a different animal. The best way I can describe the difference is that the C43 is way more FUN. While some argue it's not a "true" AMG, they really did a good job of capturing the AMG spirit. The upgraded AMG exhaust (which is a must) sounds amazing, the pops and crackles on upshifts and deep bellows and pops on downshifts both sound amazing, it's one of the best sounding V6's I've ever heard. The new "AMG-enhanced" 9-speed transmission is by far the best torque converter transmission I've ever felt. It's not as good as BMW's dual clutch; however, it's pretty damn close. The difference in driving modes (particularly the difference between comfort and sport+) is astonishing. The throttle response is excellent, if any turbo lag exists then I can't detect it (that goes for the BMW as well). The brakes are very good as well. The 69% rear bias makes it feel more like a RWD car than an AWD car when you get on the throttle, it's a blast. The handling is quite good as well, maybe a LITTLE bit worst than the BMW, but honestly I would say they're almost equivalent. In comfort mode the handling can be a tad numb at times, but in sport+ it's very sharp and direct. When in sport+, the suspension turns to the stiffest setting, and this really minimizes body roll (you can whip it pretty fast around corners and it feels glued to the road, which is pretty impressive for a 4000+ pound sedan). This setting will make it quite stiff and a bit jarring at times (you will definitely feel bumps and potholes), but I'm used to driving performance cars so I personally don't mind (if you want a very soft and comfortable ride, the 340 may be a better choice).

Overall, they are both nice cars, and you can't really go wrong either way. To me, the 340 reminded me of my old S4, which is a very capable and nice car, but lacks character. The C43 has a bold personality. It looks sleek and the daytime LED's (make sure you get the LED's) look menacing. The exhaust note will turn heads, it sounds great from inside the car and even better from outside. The interior is unique and modern (some people despise the "tacked on" screen - personally I think it's fine). I have the designo interior - the quilted leather seats (and doors) along with the Recaro seats and upgraded steering wheel is a combination that I will never tire of, a perfect mix of sportiness and luxury. The car is simply more fun in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by 303_AMG:
Ali Shahini (05-15-2017), sk_nj (08-22-2018)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 PM

C450 AMG
Test drove both before I got my c450. While the 340 with m sport package does look good, it does not drive as well as last gen BMW's. It does not hold up in any performance metric or driving fun compared to the c450/c43. Also note, that the 340 xdrive with m sport comes with standard springs, not the m sport springs like the rwd model. This made a world of a difference pushing the car into corners. An M340i is on the horizon to compete with the c43/S4.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
BMW 340 is a shnzzy sally car
Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
I would not spend money on a 340i. The F30 is pretty outdated at this point - 6th year of the current body. If you have the luxury of time, I would check out the upcoming BMW G series. Otherwise, C43. You can consider the Audi S4, but a number of reviews comparing it directly to the C43 have pretty much said the C43 is the better car between the two.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Is it April 1st....... again!???
Old 05-14-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 MB C43 coupe, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm somewhat going through this process now. I'm down to my last two months on a 435 Gran Coupe M Sport lease. I never considered a 335 and i wouldn't consider a 340 now. The Gran Coupe is a much better looking, more rarely seen, and much more practical than a 340... all by a wide margin. I've upgraded to 19" M4 wheels, body paint matched grills, and side sills & splitters all around. My car looks as good if not better than the C43.

As for the BMW interior, it is old and not nearly as luxurious true. It is nice enough, and more like a cockpit where every button is where it should be. The other credit BMW should get is around the tech. I-drive is the best.

The last nod in the BMW's favor is that they always seem to lease much better than Mercs and Audis. $150 - $200 cheaper per month on apples to apples leases has been my experience.

All that being said, I'll be test driving the C43 coupe over the next 6 weeks and I'm open to switching. Inventory is low it seems, but I'm willing to fly anywhere in the midwest and drive the right one home for the right price. We shall see
Old 05-14-2017, 09:01 PM

2017 X5 35i Msport
BENZ = BEST OR NOTHING !!!! lol
Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by 303_AMG
I feel relatively qualified to help on this thread considering I spent over six months researching to death what my next car would be, and in the end it was narrowed down to the 340i xdrive or C43. The car I was replacing was a 2010 S4, so I would have considered a new S4 as well (especially since the new generation just came out); however, I wanted something different. If you haven't already checked out the S4, then I would consider adding that to your comparison as well.

I will boil down my thoughts regarding the comparison to the following:

Interior: I drove the 340 before ever sitting in a C43. I thought it had a nice interior, nothing particularly unique about it, but it wasn't bad by any means. The M steering wheel felt really nice and meaty which surprised me and the paddles were pretty good. The seats were pretty comfortable, and the center console was clean and functional. It had a small sunroof like my old S4, pretty standard stuff. Overall it felt high quality and nice, but nothing felt special about it.

When I sat in the C43 I immediately felt like I had stepped into something much nicer than the 340: WOW. The C43 interior feels like its a class or two above the 340. The Recaro seats are amazing (in my opinion), you can adjust the side bolsters and thigh bolsters to hug your body perfectly. I LOVE the flat bottomed upgraded AMG steering wheel with the microsuede inserts on the sides. The center console is much more sleek since there is no shifter on it and minimal buttons (it has an electronic column shifter, some people love it, some hate it, I personally love it). The leather feels nicer, especially if you get the Nappa leather. The panoramic roof is AWESOME - it lets in a ton of light, which makes the interior feel much roomier. I could go on, but the point is the interior on the C43 is on a whole different level than the 340's, which again isn't BAD by any means, just not nearly as nice as the C43's.

Performance/Driving: Again, I drove the 340 before the C43. It's pretty much what you would expect from BMW. You can get it in a manual or with a dual clutch transmission (DCT), either of which are great. I drove the DCT and loved it. It shifts lightning quick and the paddle response is excellent. The engine note is definitely nice; HOWEVER, you have to keep in mind that it is unfortunately fake (there is fake engine noise piped through the speakers). As much as I liked the sound, I personally hate the fact that it's not real, and I'm not sure I could get over that as an owner. BMW does offer the MPPS kit which includes an upgraded exhaust, which I think your dealer installs (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but the one I drove didn't have it. The handling is great as you would expect, throttle response and braking are both very good. The suspension didn't feel overly stiff yet still cornered very well. Overall it feels very capable and precise, and is certainly a nice car to drive.

The C43 is simply a different animal. The best way I can describe the difference is that the C43 is way more FUN. While some argue it's not a "true" AMG, they really did a good job of capturing the AMG spirit. The upgraded AMG exhaust (which is a must) sounds amazing, the pops and crackles on upshifts and deep bellows and pops on downshifts both sound amazing, it's one of the best sounding V6's I've ever heard. The new "AMG-enhanced" 9-speed transmission is by far the best torque converter transmission I've ever felt. It's not as good as BMW's dual clutch; however, it's pretty damn close. The difference in driving modes (particularly the difference between comfort and sport+) is astonishing. The throttle response is excellent, if any turbo lag exists then I can't detect it (that goes for the BMW as well). The brakes are very good as well. The 69% rear bias makes it feel more like a RWD car than an AWD car when you get on the throttle, it's a blast. The handling is quite good as well, maybe a LITTLE bit worst than the BMW, but honestly I would say they're almost equivalent. In comfort mode the handling can be a tad numb at times, but in sport+ it's very sharp and direct. When in sport+, the suspension turns to the stiffest setting, and this really minimizes body roll (you can whip it pretty fast around corners and it feels glued to the road, which is pretty impressive for a 4000+ pound sedan). This setting will make it quite stiff and a bit jarring at times (you will definitely feel bumps and potholes), but I'm used to driving performance cars so I personally don't mind (if you want a very soft and comfortable ride, the 340 may be a better choice).

Overall, they are both nice cars, and you can't really go wrong either way. To me, the 340 reminded me of my old S4, which is a very capable and nice car, but lacks character. The C43 has a bold personality. It looks sleek and the daytime LED's (make sure you get the LED's) look menacing. The exhaust note will turn heads, it sounds great from inside the car and even better from outside. The interior is unique and modern (some people despise the "tacked on" screen - personally I think it's fine). I have the designo interior - the quilted leather seats (and doors) along with the Recaro seats and upgraded steering wheel is a combination that I will never tire of, a perfect mix of sportiness and luxury. The car is simply more fun in my opinion.
Very good write-up; pretty much captures everything I would've said, though my BMW of choice would've been the RWD 340i M-Sport. Love the latest update and would still own one to put right alongside the 450, i.e., though not a true M - and I'm one of those who firmly believes we are not in true AMGs, BMW (like MB) really captured the essence of their in-house tuner divisions.

And as we all know, our 450/43s are quite capable. Arguably more nimble than a 63, with very accessible V8 power and better fuel mileage too boot. Can't count the amount times I've been in traffic running Individual settings (Sport + / Sport / Sport...Engine, Suspension, Steering) in my usual manual mode upshifted to start in 2nd gear.......waiting for my opportunity to get to more open traffic (behind some frickin idiot).

And it's 'be patient'....'wait'....'wait'....'wait'...and BAM!! Quick double downshift to (maybe) 3rd or 4th depending on speed, a couple flicks of the wrist, and I'm back in free air, and lifting to get down from the go-to-jail speed our boosted 3.0 very quickly gets up to.........I mean we're talking 70-75 in the city limits in a couple seconds! That's too damn fast! (No it's not).

Of course, doesn't have the brutal shove and roar of the my old C63, but satisfactory nonetheless. Mad quick and like 303 said, MAD fun. I just hope my awareness doesn't miss some cop laying low one day, 'cause that speedometer number sure rises quickly.....like they got me a couple years ago. That stupid, loud, overgrown, Hall-of-Fame M156 just couldn't stop announcing itself during a Lewis Hamilton-like pass.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
I was dead set on a 340 xdrive and wasn't really loving the C43 so of course I test drove both.

I think the bimmer looks a bit better on the outside but interior the C43 is miles ahead.

I suspect the bimmer is a bit quicker than the C43 but overall with the PE the driving experience is better on the Merc.

I found the Merc much more composed in the corners than the bimmer.

So in the end it was Merc for me.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 AM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Bueller178
I was dead set on a 340 xdrive and wasn't really loving the C43 so of course I test drove both.

I think the bimmer looks a bit better on the outside but interior the C43 is miles ahead.

I suspect the bimmer is a bit quicker than the C43 but overall with the PE the driving experience is better on the Merc.

I found the Merc much more composed in the corners than the bimmer.

So in the end it was Merc for me.
​​​​​​
The 340 xdrive is not quicker, already did this test.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Polar White C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Robvoip
​​​​​​
The 340 xdrive is not quicker, already did this test.

With or without MPPK?

Further details?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:08 PM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Bueller178
With or without MPPK?

Further details?
Regular 340 with m sport package. With the mppk, straight line should even out, but the 340 xdrive will still fall behind in corners.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 Jeep Wrangler
Originally Posted by Robvoip
Regular 340 with m sport package. With the mppk, straight line should even out, but the 340 xdrive will still fall behind in corners.
If you plan on buying a BMW do not get xdrive. My mom has had a e46 330ci, e90 328i and a e90 335i with xdrive and the 330ci and 328i were by far the better driver cars. She also had a 535i with xdrive and it only gets worse as you move up. BMW does not give a **** about AWD and was merely pushed to steal sales from Audi, every single one is inferior to its RWD sibling from a suuspension perspective.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Audi S4; 2014 Audi Q5 TDI; 2013 BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by I almost I
If you plan on buying a BMW do not get xdrive.
Totally agree. A couple of years ago I nearly flipped my 2010 Audi S4 (sport diff) for a BMW M235i xDrive (needed for winter commuting). It totally killed the excellent handling of the RWD sibling and didn't hold a candle to my old S4, particularly when pushed hard on exit ramps with less the ideal pavement.

My S4 is back on the chopping block but now I'm looking at a C43.
The following users liked this post:
ProjectC55 (01-15-2018)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Well yeah I would hope that people would understand that AWD does not equal performance. [I thought] People get AWD cars because, like me, they spend 4-5 months driving on snow.

And as much as I liked how the 340i drove, it wasn't ever truly in the running with the other Germans simply due to the fact of it's inferior AWD system.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 AM

BMW 435i 2015, on order 2018 c43 or 63
Drove them both this past weekend.
Coming from Dinan tuned 435i BMW.
Tomorrow I am putting in my order for 2018 c43 amg loads .
The responsiveness and quality of the cabin tops Audi easily.
Definitely the test Car needed amg perf exhaust which was sorely missed.
Best I could do on deal is 4% under msrp as there isn't even a firm price yet.
Residual is 55% for7500 miles.
S4 seemed stiffer and transmission felt clumsy.
C43 had amazing gearbox. Coupe felt light and moved gracefully.
Should arrive September.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by Damon44
Drove them both this past weekend.
Coming from Dinan tuned 435i BMW.
Tomorrow I am putting in my order for 2018 c43 amg loads .
The responsiveness and quality of the cabin tops Audi easily.
Definitely the test Car needed amg perf exhaust which was sorely missed.
Best I could do on deal is 4% under msrp as there isn't even a firm price yet.
Residual is 55% for7500 miles.
S4 seemed stiffer and transmission felt clumsy.
C43 had amazing gearbox. Coupe felt light and moved gracefully.
Should arrive September.
"C43" and "amazing gearbox" in the same sentence??

Seriously??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C43 AMG VS BMW 340i