Sponsored by:

Tyre skipping / crabbing issue C43 Sedan 2016

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43
Tyre skipping / crabbing issue C43 Sedan 2016

I noticed when turning on full steering lock or almost at full steering lock either left or right the tyres judder and make a bad clunking sound and this is called Tyre skipping / crabbing .

I emailed Mercedes Benz and they replied its a characteristic of the car and and does not affect the safety and performance of the car .
Letter attached from Mercedes Benz head office

I feel the response is unacceptable as its the exact same problem as the GLC models and I have heard you have to sign a tyre skipping waiver when you buy a new GLC in Australia .

I was never told about this defect ( tyre skipping ) which Mercedes Benz is calling a characteristic of the car and tyre skipping is a series standard characteristic of the C43 car .

The real problem is Due to the positioning of the front axle differential on right hand drive cars, the steering position differs very slightly compared to left hand drive models. When the steering is on full lock this steering angle difference can result in the front tyre skipping sensation. This is more pronounced during cold weather and when larger wheels and low profile tyres are fitted.

Im sure all C43 owners will have same problems.

I have emailed back to Mercedes Benz to advise them I dont accept the the tyre skipping is not a fault or defect and I have stated I would be lodging a complaint to fair trading and ACCC and seeking legal advice .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Letter to Mr Leung.pdf (784.6 KB, 404 views)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:55 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
I hope you persevere in this and get a good result. Unfortunately, without an expensive redesign, the only thing MB are doing is changing the rubber to something that doesn't 'crab'.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Damn, It's really crazy…

Here's some more info
Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43 AMG
Hey mate,

Yeah thats a "problem" for the australian delivered models.

After purchasing mine, MB Sydney advised me of the so called issue and signed a waiver to acknowledge it.

Shouldn't be a fault but yes I understand it gets annoying seeing as we spent over 100k AUD for ours.

Hope all goes well.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Left hand drive cars do it too. It is a characteristic, based on the high caster these cars run and the track difference when at full lock or close to it, the tires pull against each other and one will lose that battle.

Depending on what tires and what surface you are on, you get that chatter/hop.

You can switch to a different tire and sacrifice performance. You could re-design the suspension to remove 5 degrees of caster and lose steering feel and on-center feel. Or you can deal with it and enjoy the way the car drives in every condition except full-lock slow speed parking maneuvers. Seems like an easy decision to me.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Left hand drive cars do it too. It is a characteristic, based on the high caster these cars run and the track difference when at full lock or close to it, the tires pull against each other and one will lose that battle.

Depending on what tires and what surface you are on, you get that chatter/hop.

You can switch to a different tire and sacrifice performance. You could re-design the suspension to remove 5 degrees of caster and lose steering feel and on-center feel. Or you can deal with it and enjoy the way the car drives in every condition except full-lock slow speed parking maneuvers. Seems like an easy decision to me.
Now that is a good explanation and solution!